Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
BensWife
Mouseketeer

Question about monorail resorts vs villas

Thinking about changing reservations to a monorail resort. We currently have a 2 bedroom villa booked at OKW. We have 2 young kids and my brother and parents will be with us too. That is a total of 7, so we thought it would be fun to have the 2 bedroom villa and stay together. However, the more I think about it, the more I would really rather have a little more theme for our boys since it will be their first time, and also be closer to the action. I was thinking about the Poly since it is a great theme and also has the monorail (which I am sure would be very handy with the kids and for my Mom who had knee surgery in Oct). However, it is so much more money. It will add about $1200 for us. Plus, then all of us can't stay together (since adjoining rooms aren't guaranteed). Is $1200 really worth it? My pocketbook says, "NO WAY!", but my heart says, "DO IT!!" I am a person who loves nice hotels/resorts. My husband would be fine with a Value, but I am more snobby than he is! hehehe The other monorail resorts look beautiful too, but not as themed. I'm so torn. Any thoughts?

'77 DL - Holiday Inn
'93 DL - Disneyland Hotel
'98 WDW - Port Orleans French Q.
'10 DL - Grand Californian (June & Aug),
'12 DL - Candy Cane Inn
'13 WDW - Saratoga Springs (SWW)
July '14 DL - DLH (just DH and ME!)
Sept '14 DL - Renting Grand Californian Villas
Nov '14 - Embassy Suites South
BensWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

We typically never stay Deluxe but are this time to celebrate a special occasion -- and frankly the thought of being able to walk to/from MK or catch the monorail to go to other deluxe resorts where other character dinings are make me excited. Once you pay off the vacation, you don't give the extra $$ you spent much more thought.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
nat8199
Mouseketeer

I JUST switched us to the Contemporary. I think that being on the monorail has a lot to offer. It might be more, but not having to take buses seems worth it to us.

Too many pre-family to count!

Me - 32 DH - 34 DD - 4 DS - 3 DS - 3
nat8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Carriesouthard
Mouseketeer

When are you traveling? Are there any discounts offered for that time? That will help a lot with the cost! We stayed at BC last summer with our three girls ages 8,7,6...it was wonderful, loved the resort but we wished we had stayed on the monorail line. With young kids you will spent tons of time at MK and it's just so easy! This summer we are booked at the Poly...expensive but I know it will be completely worth it :-) good luck!!!
Carriesouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
akl-fan
DIS Veteran

Why not look at booking a villa at WL it is really themed and although it is not on the monorail it is really close to the MK and has boat and bus transport. I will be more expensive than OKW but less than a monorail resort.
akl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
BensWife
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akl-fan View Post
Why not look at booking a villa at WL it is really themed and although it is not on the monorail it is really close to the MK and has boat and bus transport. I will be more expensive than OKW but less than a monorail resort.
We would LOVE a villa at WL, but they are not available with the current offer when we are going June 8-14.

'77 DL - Holiday Inn
'93 DL - Disneyland Hotel
'98 WDW - Port Orleans French Q.
'10 DL - Grand Californian (June & Aug),
'12 DL - Candy Cane Inn
'13 WDW - Saratoga Springs (SWW)
July '14 DL - DLH (just DH and ME!)
Sept '14 DL - Renting Grand Californian Villas
Nov '14 - Embassy Suites South
BensWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

Would you think of doinf BLT? It is CR's Villa and is connected to the monrail (walking to CR through a bridge). You could still get a 2br but it would be more then OKW 2br.

If that doesn't interest you then I would go with POLY - who wouldn't want to stay there? You could also try for connecting rooms so you and the rest of your family are all together!

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: