Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Maryland_Mommy
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Vero Beach - Snorkeling? Restaurants?

We are going to Vero Beach from April 1st - April 5th. My kids - ages 10, 13, and 17 boys, love the beach, but I wanted to be prepared to do other things. We will have a car.
They like snorkeling - is there a place to go that we could snorkel off a beach (we have snorkel equipment) or has anyone gone on an excursion? We will be staying in Inn rooms. Can you recommend places for breakfast (the 17 year old eats a lot!) and for dinner? We like seafood!
Maryland_Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

We stayed at VB a few months ago. We enjoyed it. However, the surf can be pretty rough there and the water pretty murky. It would be difficult to snorkel in that area. It's pretty fun for using a boogieboard, but even that was kind of rough. Bring the snorkels, though. Your definition of rough surf may differ from mine. Do watch out for manowars, etc. My wife got stung by one in October.

We found the poolside counter service place opened kind of late for our tastes, so it was hard to get breakfast there, though lunch was really good there. Crab cake sandwiches were good. Breakfast can be had in the main restaurant there, and it's good, though it's pretty expensive. For dinner, there is a good pizza take-out place just at the northern edge of the property. I forget the name, but it was pretty good. If you go south into Vero Beach itself, there are lots of restaurants for dinner. One place we liked a lot is called Mr. Manatee's. It is VERY casual, but extremely tasty. Conch fritters melt in your mouth there. HTH.

Editing to add: I hope you're there when sea turtles hatch. If so, make sure to see the baby turtle release into the ocean. It's extremely cute, educational and fun to watch.

Last edited by grimley1968; 01-18-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: more info
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
We stayed at VB a few months ago. We enjoyed it. However, the surf can be pretty rough there and the water pretty murky. It would be difficult to snorkel in that area. It's pretty fun for using a boogieboard, but even that was kind of rough. Bring the snorkels, though. Your definition of rough surf may differ from mine. Do watch out for manowars, etc. My wife got stung by one in October.

We found the poolside counter service place opened kind of late for our tastes, so it was hard to get breakfast there, though lunch was really good there. Crab cake sandwiches were good. Breakfast can be had in the main restaurant there, and it's good, though it's pretty expensive. For dinner, there is a good pizza take-out place just at the northern edge of the property. I forget the name, but it was pretty good. If you go south into Vero Beach itself, there are lots of restaurants for dinner. One place we liked a lot is called Mr. Manatee's. It is VERY casual, but extremely tasty. Conch fritters melt in your mouth there. HTH.

Editing to add: I hope you're there when sea turtles hatch. If so, make sure to see the baby turtle release into the ocean. It's extremely cute, educational and fun to watch.
I think you are talking about Orchid Island Pizza. It is very yummy. It is a great little beach town, but Vero Disney is a bit North of much of the action. We love to have breakfast at Mulligans...early when the sun is rising. You sit outside oceanfront. Mulligans is smack dab in the middle of 'downtown VB'. Cute little shops and a great ice cream parlor.

http://mulligansrestaurant.net/locations/vero/

The water is typically rough and murky. A PP mentioned, more of a boogie board (can pick them up at Walmart) vs. snorkling area. Usually very good shelling.

We see quite a few Osprey...keep an eye out for them. Also a PP mentioned, look to see if you are there for sea turtle season. I'm sure the resort will have information.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
cayennews
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland_Mommy View Post
We are going to Vero Beach from April 1st - April 5th. My kids - ages 10, 13, and 17 boys, love the beach, but I wanted to be prepared to do other things. We will have a car.
They like snorkeling - is there a place to go that we could snorkel off a beach (we have snorkel equipment) or has anyone gone on an excursion? We will be staying in Inn rooms. Can you recommend places for breakfast (the 17 year old eats a lot!) and for dinner? We like seafood!
I stayed there last June. All of the food on site is pricey. We went down the road each morning and had breakfast at this little shop. I cannot remember the name, but if you leave the resort, take a right and at the first light take another right. It kind of looks like a convenience store, but they have a lot of freshly cooked breakfast items, as well as grinders/sandwiches for lunch.

Closeby (15 minutes or so) there is a street where there are a bunch of restaurants and a shopping mall. If you have a GPS/Navigation you can find most everything.
cayennews is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: