Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

California Grill question

Alright, I know that no one will have a definitive answer to this, but someone might have a similar prior experience or informed opinion...

We have a 7:45 pm reservation for California Grill on Friday, February 1. I was actually really excited to book this once the refurb was rescheduled to begin on February 2nd, but not I am having second thoughts. My first (probably paranoid) worry is that they will suddenly decide to close the place early and I won't have an ADR that night. Honestly, this is not my greatest concern because as of today, 12 days out there is tons of dining available due to relatively low crowds.

MY real concern is will the food be up to par! Or will they be cleaning out the fridge while our back is turned watching Wishes. I keep wondering if supplies will be limited on certain items etc ... Anyone have thoughts on this??

Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
CraigInPA
Since June 1974

I hope neither will be the case. I've had a 7:30 reservation that night since I figured out months ago, and long before they announced, that the January 6 date was postponed to February 2nd.

Actually, had I thought about it more, I might have scheduled a much later ADR in order to take home souvenirs from the restaurant that they wouldn't mind giving away late on the last night-stuff like menu covers and such that will surely be replaced during the refurb.
CraigInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

FWIW - the travel agent website lists the closing date as Feb 4 not Feb 2.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

They aren't going to close it early. Too much time has already gone into scheduling employees, deliveries, etc for the restaurant. Not to mention the problem of rescheduling contractors and subcontractors for the refurb itself.

They are a professional kitchen. The executive chef knows down to the celery stick how much food they need to have on hand. It's not the same as you cleaning out your fridge the day before you go on vacation. You will be able to order anything on the menu.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

Thanks, everyone for your reassurances, very appreciated! Honestly, I know that the EC at the CG is a professional chef and that they won't be cleaning out the fridge ... I was mostly just kidding about that part. 12 days out and I am at that stage where there is nothing left to do but (over) contemplate the details.

Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

We'll also be there that night. I was wondering a bit too.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: