Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Calirya
Cali meets her 'Rella for the 1st time Nov 13!

What can I buy NOW for our trip in Nov?

We are taking my DD (who will be 3 at the time) to Disney for the 1st time in Nov '13. She is obsessed with Cinderella right now. Loves Sofia and Doc too. She talks about going to see "Cinderella and Cinderella's castle and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Minnie and Sofia and Donald..." every. single. day. Its going to be a long year! LOL

I've been to WDW once in 2001 and also to DW once in 2003. Not only is my DD very excited, so am I!

So my question(s)- what can I buy ahead of time that might save me some money in the park? I'm talking as far as fun stuff- autograph books, water bottles, pins/lanyards? Is it worth "pre-buying" these items?

Also how does the pin trading work and when will the parks start decorating for Christmas? We are going 11/3/13 to 11/10/13.

TIA!!
Calirya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Its always a good thing to plan ahead. Right now though I'd focus on buying some practical things - batteries, sunscreen, extra memory card for the camera. You'd be surprised at how expensive these things are at WDW.

I'd avoid buying too much of whatever your little one's current favorite character is since they could easily have moved on to some other character by November.
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Sunscreen you can probably get on the clearance rack now.
I would get rain poncho's.
Buy a Frog Togg towel from WalMart - its a towel that when you wet it, it turns cold and will stay cold for 4 hours. Good on those hot days. You can find them in the camping section.

Gift cards for the kids to use to buy stuff. Good thing for the Grandparents to get this for easter or birthdays.

Don't forget you can take your own snacks and drinks into the park. This is a huge money saver.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!

I would like to know when the parks start holiday decorations also...
'12-AKL~ '12-OKW~'13-OKW~'13-BCV~'14-OKW~
dvc at last ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Calirya
Cali meets her 'Rella for the 1st time Nov 13!

Frogg Towel- I'm going to look for that. Thanks

What about pins? Buy them ahead of time? Or is that more the excitement of finding them? Or trading them? Who do you trade with? I'm new to this.

I hope someone knows about the Christmas decorations. I'm hoping we're not too early and don't miss them.

I'm in PA not very familiar with FL weather. Can I expect it to be warm in the beginning of Nov? Like shorts weather? 70s and up is shorts weather up here.
Calirya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
MommaBerd
Mouseketeer

It is still warm in November, though there can be the occasional cold snap. We went in 2011 and it was warm enough most days to swim (70+). However, we went later in November 2010, and there was a cold front and it was pretty cold. Given that we're from Georgia, I would have never swam. My two oldest boys tried it for a bit, but they got too cold. All that being said, my advice would be to watch the weather (of course), and count on being able to wear shorts, but bring one pair of jeans or a lightweight jacket if you have room in the suitcase.
MommaBerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
jenniy122
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calirya View Post
Frogg Towel- I'm going to look for that. Thanks

What about pins? Buy them ahead of time? Or is that more the excitement of finding them? Or trading them? Who do you trade with? I'm new to this.

I hope someone knows about the Christmas decorations. I'm hoping we're not too early and don't miss them.

I'm in PA not very familiar with FL weather. Can I expect it to be warm in the beginning of Nov? Like shorts weather? 70s and up is shorts weather up here.
You can buy pins ahead of time or buy them once you get there, which ever works for you. If you're going to buy them in advance make sure you're ordering from a reputable dealer not buying knockoffs. You trade them with cast members, any cast member wearing pins on a lanyard will trade.

This past year the christmas party and lights started on nov. 9th, so I'd say there's a chance you'll see the christmas decorations on your last day or two.

Nov. weather in disney is usually around the 70s, so pack shorts, but be prepared for a cold snap and bring pants and a hoodie as well just in case. Best thing to do is watch the weather forecast the weeks leading up to your vacation and see what's happening.
2011 - POP
2014 - POP

my blog
jenniy122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
luckyfin
Coming out of hiding

If you are going to buy from disney store.com wait until there is free shipping on disney park items. It is a discount that comes up frequently, seems like just about every month.
POR 2011 DD's 1st Trip Pop 2012 POFQ 2013 Offsite 2014 POR 2015
luckyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
lnhstl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Also it doesnt cost anything but when you go to one of the parks on your first day and go to guest services and get first time button
I've never heard of this in all the time I've been lurking on this board. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to get this for my girls!

DH - WDW 1986 - offsite
Me - WDW 1987 - offsite
DHMeTwin DD's - WDW - May 2013 - Poly
lnhstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
scrappinannie
Mouseketeer

If you have a Target near you check out their Dollar Spot. They have different stuff every couple of weeks so it's great for small, inexpensive toys and even snacks. They should have glow toys and wands and sunglasses, too, a bit closer to summer. I have been able to find Disney themed stuff there before. I bet with Easter coming up they'll have some things you could save back for vacation.

I bought sunscreen last year in October when my local grocery store was clearancing it out. I even had coupons. Got Coppertone and Nutrogena sunscreen for $2-$3 a bottle. Major steal there! I bought 3 bottles!

I also recommend stocking up on batteries, camera cards, non-perishable snacks and such as they are on sale. The Disney Store also has quite a few smaller toys and jewelry that aren't super expensive that you can buy now and save for later. Same with cute Disney t-shirts.

Just don't blow the vacation budget on dollar store toys!! Save a few dollars for the parks. Ya gotta get some Mickey ears.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
a742246
older than dirt

Did you buy your park passes yet????

If not I would buy it now before Disney increases the price. I would look to buy them thru mousesavers.com, you will save about 6% over Disney plus the savings of the price increase.

Also, since you are traveling with a 3 yr old. You may not need the park hopper option. That will save you $55 dollars a ticket.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Go ahead and buy an over-the-door mesh or clear pocket shoe organizer. These are fantastic for keeping small things organized and de-cluttered.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

I like to start buying things early, to help spread the cost over several months for my WDW items. As others have suggested, it's nice to have the following:
  • Sunscreen (Big Lots is a great place to buy inexpensively)
  • Ponchos (Target camping section; less than $1 each)
  • Mini-mister fans (seasonal item at Walmart in spring/summer)
  • Pop-up hamper (Dollar Tree)
  • Hanging organizer (I like the ones for sweaters that go over clothing rod); provides extra space if drawer space is limited.
  • Batteries, if needed
  • Clothing items (you can often pick these up at thrift stores). Seasonal clothing like flip flops - look at end-of-summer clearance sales.

I like to start a "Disney Box" where I toss these things as I pick them up. Then everything is in one spot, and you don't have to go digging for it later.

Also, at the end of the summer season, as I'm putting away my summer clothes, I keep out the things I'll need for my trip. Then you don't have to dig through boxes of clothing, either.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
christmasbn
Earning My Ears

Pin trading is super fun for all family members - buy a big lot of them and pre buy the lanyards online from a good dealer. I bought a lot of 50 for the 4 of us and it was a good deal!
christmasbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
rms123
Mouseketeer

Before you go, I would buy the favorite princess dress from the disney store. So much cheaper than I the park.
rms123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: