Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Advice on MK/MK-area restaurants

Ok DISers, I need your expert advice! I am trying to decide which restaurant to eat at for my bday dinner in Feb. We will be at the MK that day. Originally I was thinking we'd just leave around 8 or 9 and then have a late dinner back at Boatwright's (we're staying at POR). But MK has EMH til 11:00 that night, so I think I'd rather stay and enjoy some last-minute rides, and maybe have an earlier dinner either at MK or at one of the resorts in the area. I was wondering which of these restaurants you would all recommend the most for dinner, because I have never eaten at any of them! California Grill was my first choice, but it will be closed for refurb at that time. And I couldn't get a dinner ADR for BOG on that night (have one for another night of our trip, though). I've narrowed it down to these 5:

Liberty Tree Tavern - I thought it might be nice to just stay in the park, and the atmosphere looks cool here!
1900 Park Fare - we're doing Crystal Palace for breakfast that day, so I don't know about another buffet for dinner?
Grand Floridian Cafe - the Citricos and Narcoossee's menus didn't appeal to me but this still looks nice for a more casual restaurant
Artist Point - menu looks amazing
Kona Cafe - have heard nothing but good things

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
rustyanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Any reason why Citricos isn't on your list? If you were willing to go to the California Grill, then Citricos would be in the same price range, same atmosphere and same food style. And it is better than anything that you have listed. Of the ones listed, I would choose Artist's Point for a b-day dinner.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Pikezh638
DIS Veteran

I have been to liberty tree a couple of times, it has always been good. I dont know how pricey, since we have been on the dining plan each time we eat there.

2010 (July) Pop Century (December) Pop Century
2011 (October) All Star Sports (December) Carribbean Beach
2012 (January) All Star Sports (May) Pop Century
2013 (January) Saratoga Springs Treehouse (October) Saratoga Springs (October) Port Orleans-Riverside
2014 (January) Fantasy Cruise (January) Art of Animation (January) Pop Century
2015 (May) Magic Cruise
Pikezh638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Any reason why Citricos isn't on your list? If you were willing to go to the California Grill, then Citricos would be in the same price range, same atmosphere and same food style. And it is better than anything that you have listed. Of the ones listed, I would choose Artist's Point for a b-day dinner.
I agree with JimmyV, although, I wouldn't exactly say Citricos and CG have the same atmosphere... Citricos, from our experience is much quieter and nicer than CG, which is louder and has more of a buzz with a nice view.

With that being said, OP, if you choose either Citricos or Artist Point, keep in mind these are Signature restaurants. You may feel out of place if you just head directly to these restaurants right from the park without freshening up a bit. Something to keep in mind.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I'd do Citricos or Artist Point for a birthday dinner.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Jubilee
<3 my kids

I agree with the previous poster. If you want delicious food, do a signature. If you want atmosphere or value or accessibility, you may want to choose something else.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

What about Victoria and Albert's at the GF?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyrose View Post
i'd do citricos or artist point for a birthday dinner.
+1
Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
I mentioned it in my post, but I checked out the menu and it didn't really appeal to me. The food sounds good in general, but when I found a menu item I liked, there were one or two things served with or on it that I didn't like. Originally I thought that I would like Citricos though, but I don't think I want to go when there is not anything I'm dying to eat on the menu! Artist Point, on the other hand, has several things that I would like to try.

OhThePain, I had worried the same thing about going to a signature restaurant straight from the park. It's not THAT big of a concern, I can always wear something fairly nice to the park, and I'm not really shy about things like that anyway, but yeah, I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. One good thing is that Splash Mountain will be down for refurb during this time, so I won't be getting soaked from head to toe several times during the day. I think I should be able to freshen up well enough.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyanchor View Post
I mentioned it in my post, but I checked out the menu and it didn't really appeal to me. The food sounds good in general, but when I found a menu item I liked, there were one or two things served with or on it that I didn't like. Originally I thought that I would like Citricos though, but I don't think I want to go when there is not anything I'm dying to eat on the menu! Artist Point, on the other hand, has several things that I would like to try.

OhThePain, I had worried the same thing about going to a signature restaurant straight from the park. It's not THAT big of a concern, I can always wear something fairly nice to the park, and I'm not really shy about things like that anyway, but yeah, I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. One good thing is that Splash Mountain will be down for refurb during this time, so I won't be getting soaked from head to toe several times during the day. I think I should be able to freshen up well enough.
My understanding re: the dress for a signature is that you just can't look like a slob. No reason you can't go there from the park in casual clothes.
GeorgiaHoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Thanks GeorgiaHoo. My understanding was no t-shirts or hats for men (so, collared shirt and fairly nice shorts for the BF) or tank tops (which I probably wouldn't be wearing, anyway). Does that about cover it? I don't think we should have any problems.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Nebraska_Disney
Mouseketeer

We have had excellent meals at "the wave" at Contemporary.....nice atmosphere and good food. For what it is worth......
Nebraska_Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Here's the dress code info, although you'll be fine if you just avoid the "not permitted" items and even then enforcement can be spotty:

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses, jeans or dress shorts.

Not permitted in the dining room are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and shirts with offensive language or graphics.

As far as the restaurants on your list:
-Liberty Tree Tavern - We like lunch much better because of the a la carte menu as opposed to the dinner which is a Thanksgiving family style meal.

-Grand Floridian Cafe - Food was good, but both times we went the service was extremely s-l-o-w.

-Artist Point - Best choice! Delicious food, excellent service and atmosphere. The salmon and buffalo were delicious. Easy to get to WL via the boat that docks right in front of the MK entrance.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
tallen429
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyanchor View Post
I've narrowed it down to these 5:

Liberty Tree Tavern - I thought it might be nice to just stay in the park, and the atmosphere looks cool here!
1900 Park Fare - we're doing Crystal Palace for breakfast that day, so I don't know about another buffet for dinner?
Grand Floridian Cafe - the Citricos and Narcoossee's menus didn't appeal to me but this still looks nice for a more casual restaurant
Artist Point - menu looks amazing
Kona Cafe - have heard nothing but good things

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I'd go with Artist Point, no question!

tallen429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Kona Cafe is awesome for us, but it is quite casual. I don't know that I'd leave MK to do this, only to go right back for EMH. I think Kona is the best place in all of WDW for breakfast, though. The Tonga Toast is incredibly tasty. If you can grab breakfast there, I highly recommend it.

For the same travel reason, I would cross off Artist Point. It is one of the "dressier places" in the MK area, and has really good food. It may be a bit "stuffy" for a birthday dinner, though. If you want the opposite of "stuffy", and still get good food, Whispering Canyon might be fun for a birthday, and the wait staff will do their best to embarrass you. But it takes a while to get from MK to WL and then back. It's a lot of time off just to go get dinner.

I would go with LTT, out of your choices. It really is good food, the atmosphere is kind of quiet for being in the middle of MK, and I agree that it's nice to still be in the park the whole time. It's a good way to relax a little bit before gearing back up for EMH.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: