Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Supergirl9801
Earning My Ears

Total Newbie here...resort or should I consider DVC?

I've found a few tidbits here and there about DVC's and heard it can be a big moneysaver. I'd love it if someone could point me to a FAQ or a "how to" thread on looking into it. Wondering if it would be a big cost saver over a typical disney resort package?
Supergirl9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
RayJay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl9801 View Post
I've found a few tidbits here and there about DVC's and heard it can be a big moneysaver. I'd love it if someone could point me to a FAQ or a "how to" thread on looking into it. Wondering if it would be a big cost saver over a typical disney resort package?
Supergirl,

Go to the DVC forum on these boards, specifically the "purchasing" board,
you'll get tons of information.

RayJay
RayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Are you interested in becoming a DVC owner (purchasing a timeshare), or just renting a reservation from an owner?

We have a number of DVC forums on the DISboards; you'll find them a little ways down the forum list. If you're interested in purchasing, I'd recommend starting with the Purchasing DVC board. If you'd like to rent a reservation from an owner, take a look at the stickies at the top of the DVC Rent/Trade board, they explain the ins and outs of the process.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
shaynar
Mouseketeer

It seems like you are looking to rent DVC points as opposed to buying. While I am a huge proponent of renting points, I feel for a first time Disney-er you're better off looking at a package or room only from Disney directly.

Too many than I can remember.....
Latest: 09/2008 Honeymoon @ Poly, 10/2010 First "family trip" @ WL, 01/2012 Bringing Baby #2 @ Kidani, 01/2013 @ BCV/VWL and 1/2014 @ VWL !!!!
shaynar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Supergirl9801
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynar View Post
It seems like you are looking to rent DVC points as opposed to buying. While I am a huge proponent of renting points, I feel for a first time Disney-er you're better off looking at a package or room only from Disney directly.
I am looking to rent. I've also checked those forums mentioned by others above and am still not finding too much good info. I wonder why you would suggest that vs. trying to rent points?
Supergirl9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
mdinme
DIS Veteran

Renting points will get you a room. Youll still need park tix, maybe dining plan. Youll save money with a package and its a lot easier.

Study up and youll be better suited to try dvc.

mdinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

It would also depend on # of people going, and relationships. For a DVC studio you only get 1 queen bed and a pull out sofa, Except OKW I believe is the only DVC studio that actually has 2 beds.
When I go with my 27 yr old daughter, she prefers a bed not a pull out. So for us, a regular resort room with 2 beds is better.

I aso wouldn't rent points from a stranger, as it requires a certain ammount of trust, You give them your money, they hold the reservation.
If you go this route, I'd use Davids. He is reliable and your reservation is safe. You may pay a little more booking thru him, but at least you know you won't be ripped off. http://www.dvcrequest.com
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: