Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Never to old
DIS Veteran
 
Never to old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 724

Looking for teenage perspective on Vibe

Hi! My 14 year old nephew will be sailing on his first Disney cruise on the Dream. Can anyone tell him what to expect? Do they have organized activities? Do they have any kind of a meet and greet activity? I would also like to know if there is any kind of supervision? Thank you!
__________________
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Hi! My 14 year old nephew will be sailing on his first Disney cruise on the Dream. Can anyone tell him what to expect? Do they have organized activities? Do they have any kind of a meet and greet activity? I would also like to know if there is any kind of supervision? Thank you!
Well, there's the tween club, Edge, that's ages 11-14. As well as the teen club, Vibe, ages 14-17. They have activities. He should check out both on the first night at the Open House.

Also, a good place to check out what other activities that may be onboard, would be the Navigators (under the Staterooms tab above).

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Never to old
DIS Veteran
 
Never to old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

Well, there's the tween club, Edge, that's ages 11-14. As well as the teen club, Vibe, ages 14-17. They have activities. He should check out both on the first night at the Open House.

Also, a good place to check out what other activities that may be onboard, would be the Navigators (under the Staterooms tab above).

Thanks he would fit better into the Vibe.
__________________
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
lady9
DIS Veteran
 
lady9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 523

My DS has cruised twice and both times been in the Vibe. He loved it and spent most of his time with his new friends. It is important he go the first night to the meet and greet and planning for the week. It is usually held about 10pm the very first night. DS met the kids he hung out with that first night. They planned some video game tournaments, smoothie nights, sport's deck activities/games, scavenger hunts, and other activities. The last night they signed t-shirts (provided by Disney) and had a party. We went to check out Vibe shortly after lunch the first day just to meet the counselors and see where he would be spending his time. It is a very nice space. There is supervision while in Vibe or during Vibe activities. We let our DS have a lot of freedom but set rules, and we did check on him (i.e. he is where he said he was going to be). He checked in throughout the day and had to join us for breakfast and lunch (of course being a teen boy, that didn't stop him from having a 2nd breakfast with his friends an hour later!)
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Never to old
DIS Veteran
 
Never to old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady9
My DS has cruised twice and both times been in the Vibe. He loved it and spent most of his time with his new friends. It is important he go the first night to the meet and greet and planning for the week. It is usually held about 10pm the very first night. DS met the kids he hung out with that first night. They planned some video game tournaments, smoothie nights, sport's deck activities/games, and other activities. The last night they signed t-shirts (provided by Disney) and had a party. We went to check out Vibe shortly after lunch the first day just to meet the counselors and see where he would be spending his time. It is a very nice space. We let our DS have a lot of freedom but set rules. He checked in throughout the day and had to join us for breakfast and lunch (of course being a teen boy, that didn't stop him from having a 2nd breakfast with his friends an hour later!)
Sounds like we might not see a lot of him. We are going on a 3 night cruise, do you think they would still go through the planning process? Do they do something special as a group on castaway? I thought I saw something on a 5 night navigator that had Cookies BBQ listed for vibe.
__________________
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
debsters41
DIS Veteran
 
debsters41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,285

They still do the planning on a three night cruise. I barely saw my 15 yo either, and she still raves about the best vacation she ever had (on DCL at the Vibe)
__________________
debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian
 
ranidayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Hi! My 14 year old nephew will be sailing on his first Disney cruise on the Dream. Can anyone tell him what to expect? Do they have organized activities? Do they have any kind of a meet and greet activity? I would also like to know if there is any kind of supervision? Thank you!
My teens thought there was almost too much supervision. Several times during our last cruise they wanted to hang out with their friends in the water area. When they got there, they were told they couldn't hang out and do their own thing - they had to do the structured activity that was happening -- which always seems to be "Just Dance." Finally, they decided just to use the Vibe as a meeting place with their new friends and they all left and hung around the ship....until they were told they couldn't come into the Vibe if all they were going to do was meet people and leave. Apparently you can't have your cake or eat it sometimes.
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
ALSBC91
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 228

My boys (both on the quiet side) have loved their time in the Vibe. They had to join us for dinner and pictures beforehand, but other than that, they were free to explore and hang out with their new friends. We had a Facebook page for our cruise, so they "knew" quite a few of the others before we ever sailed.
__________________
ALSBC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
SeeDisney
I drove by my WAWA
Is Erika ignoring Boogie?
I'll take Sigmund the Sea Monsters any day
 
SeeDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 2 1/2 hour flight away
Posts: 4,032

this was very helpful indeed! Thank you for the responses everyone!
__________________


Jan. 05 -- Poly.
March 09 -- 7 days at SOG; First Family Wonder Cruise



SeeDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
jbrock2013
Earning My Ears
 
jbrock2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Hi! My 14 year old nephew will be sailing on his first Disney cruise on the Dream. Can anyone tell him what to expect? Do they have organized activities? Do they have any kind of a meet and greet activity? I would also like to know if there is any kind of supervision? Thank you!
Wanted to chime in as well....my son at the time was 15, he loved it! The counselors kept them busy w great activities he had a great time. The club closed at 2a.m. & i was fine w/ him being out that late. All of the kids hung out as a group it was a big group so i felt it wasn't harmful. He was always up for breakfast w the fam then off he went until dinner. I left a sticky note of what time he had to b ready for dinner & he met up w us at the restaurant or room. Aftr dinner he was back at Vibe. On CC they do have their own excursion which was $25 they snorkeled, swam, biked, kayaked, played v-ball ate lunch together (it was almost the whole day) aftr that they all went back to ship together & hung out. He's wanted to go back on a cruise esp Disney(to my surprise, i thought it was geared towards lil kids). He'll b 18 in Oct 2013 & graduating c/o13-14 so for an early bday/grad gift we're going on Dream in Sept 13 so he can enjoy Vibe 1 last time - he doesn't know yet. My daughter will get to exp Vibe this time. I know they will enjoy it.
jbrock2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Cotton Family
Earning My Ears
 
Cotton Family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25

I was wanting to know if shutters will have pictures of my 14year old sons activities while he is away from us for most of the trip. I'd like to get the shutters book and was hoping to have all of the family in the book! I will also have my 4 year old in a different club and was hoping the same thing with the pictures. I'm sure my kids will both enjoy the clubs and I don't mind seeing them only at breakfast and dinner, but I'd like the pictures!
__________________
Cotton Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Family View Post
I was wanting to know if shutters will have pictures of my 14year old sons activities while he is away from us for most of the trip. I'd like to get the shutters book and was hoping to have all of the family in the book! I will also have my 4 year old in a different club and was hoping the same thing with the pictures. I'm sure my kids will both enjoy the clubs and I don't mind seeing them only at breakfast and dinner, but I'd like the pictures!
Shutters does not take pictures in the clubs. There use to be a picture frame craft done in the club back in 2003 and Daisy came and took individual pictures with the kids to use with the frame. That is the only time we have ever gotten a picture of the kids in the clubs in 10 cruises [1 3-nt, 1 15-nt, and 8 7-nt]. DS has taken his own camera in the Edge the past few years and gotten some cute pics. The characters show up and play games with the kids there and pose for pictures, but no photog goes with them. The only pictures taken in the younger clubs are the group & individual action shots used in the final kid show video.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Cotton Family
Earning My Ears
 
Cotton Family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post

Shutters does not take pictures in the clubs. There use to be a picture frame craft done in the club back in 2003 and Daisy came and took individual pictures with the kids to use with the frame. That is the only time we have ever gotten a picture of the kids in the clubs in 10 cruises [1 3-nt, 1 15-nt, and 8 7-nt]. DS has taken his own camera in the Edge the past few years and gotten some cute pics. The characters show up and play games with the kids there and pose for pictures, but no photog goes with them. The only pictures taken in the younger clubs are the group & individual action shots used in the final kid show video.
Thank you Ibgraves for the quick response! And it's great to know my son will be able to take his own camera and get pictures of what he wants and hopefully he get some with himself too!
__________________
Cotton Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
linkandclover
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 457

Last summer we let our 15 year old come and go as he pleased. He spent most of his time at vibe or with kids he met there. We gave him a curfew of 3 or 4 am depending on what plans we had for the next day. (Even grounded him for coming in late). He stayed out of trouble but had other friends who had no curfew and their own room. This year my son is 16 and bringing a friend so they will share a room together. The rules are in place that we meet for dinner and excursions. I want him to be independent and be responsible for himself after all he is eligible to drive a car and if I can't trust him in a confined space how can I trust him behind a steering wheel.
linkandclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Family View Post
Thank you Ibgraves for the quick response! And it's great to know my son will be able to take his own camera and get pictures of what he wants and hopefully he get some with himself too!
The characters have a friend accompany them and they will be happy to take a picture of the kids with their own camera.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.