Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
RainK
Mouseketeer

How much did you spend OP for food

Hi,
We have never gone to Disney without the full dining plan since I can remember. I am not overly optimistic for free dining this year, so I am trying to budget how much it will cost me OP for food.

2 adults, 2 kids ages 7 & 9. 7 nights 8 days. With the exception of 1 character meal, we plan on QS for lunch and dinner and plan on eating cereal or fruit in our hotel room.
We do not have a car, so we will have water, snacks, breakfast items delivered to our room from garden grocer.
I am averaging $30 lunch per day and $45 dinner per day. Probably another $20 a day in snacks or ice cream. Does this sound right?
Is it worth it to just buy the QS dining plan?

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
julie4423
Mouseketeer

That seems low to me. I don't know where you're planning on eating, or if you plan to share meals. $30 would pretty much feed me and my hubby for lunch if we wanted no dessert. Why do you think there won't be FD this year? I'm crossing my fingers for it, but did I miss something?
julie4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Allears.net has a very large data base of menus where you can check prices of things you might eat. But your estimates, are too low.

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

A quick way I estimate for "counter service" meals is $15 per adult and $10 per child. So I would, therefore, estimate about $50 per meal. You will probably spend a little less, but you can use any extra to help pay for snacks.

Last edited by disney1990; 01-11-2013 at 09:20 PM.
disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Your estimates are VERY low to be honest. You need to double that figure.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Your estimate would be more than enough for us, which is why the QSDP never made sense for us. Everyone eats different amounts, and I often find the kids meals enough for me. We also don't do desserts and those often cost nearly as much as a kids meal.

Might be low for snacks though, unless you're planning to pack some with you.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

If your kids will be eating kids' meals, then I think your estimates are pretty close. The only thing is, QS is the same for lunch or dinner, so I would just budget $40 for each. That makes your daily total $100 instead of $95.

Kids' meals are generally $6, so that leaves the adults $28 per meal which is easily doable.

Just don't forget the 6.5% tax that will be added to your totals.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

It really depends on if you order drinks or not. Table service is generally $15/adult and $10 per child.

Which as others have said is $100 per day.

If you cut out the drinks you can save about $15-20.
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
It really depends on if you order drinks or not. Table service is generally $15/adult and $10 per child.

Which as others have said is $100 per day.

If you cut out the drinks you can save about $15-20.
I'm not sure what you meant to say. TABLE Service for kids is around $10, but there aren't a lot of TABLE Service for adults around $15. QUICK Service for adults would be around $15, but no where is QUICK Service for kids $10. The majority of kids QUICK Service is $5.99 and that includes their drink.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
partigus
Mouseketeer

math

dont forget taxes! While a lot of places dont tax food- i think lake buena vista just might!

CS adult meals are minimum $10, w/o drinks, and kids about 7 with. A CS meal for my family is typically a bit under $50 (3 kids). Thats w/o dessert.

I've never priced the cs mp, but have used both the regular and deluxe before. We loved the dp when appetizers and gratuity were included- total no brainer!

In booking this years trip- my 11 year old was the big factor,,,on the DP she costs the same as an adult. But she doesnt eat all that much, so we can simply order off the childs menus for her and we'll come out ahead.
2011 Yacht Club (5)
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

If you are doing most if not all QS. You might make out by buying it. But it will be a lot of work. IMO. Kids meals are about $6 now and adults are on average $10 each andthen add drinks or dessert. You can get great deals at places like WPE. But it isn't as easy or convenient to go there as it would be to grab food at say Casey in MK. Another question. If you plan all QS meals why are you planning more $$ for dinner than lunch? QS is QS. Same price for each meal.

Last edited by Ro Z; 01-12-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK
Hi,
We have never gone to Disney without the full dining plan since I can remember. I am not overly optimistic for free dining this year, so I am trying to budget how much it will cost me OP for food.

2 adults, 2 kids ages 7 & 9. 7 nights 8 days. With the exception of 1 character meal, we plan on QS for lunch and dinner and plan on eating cereal or fruit in our hotel room.
We do not have a car, so we will have water, snacks, breakfast items delivered to our room from garden grocer.
I am averaging $30 lunch per day and $45 dinner per day. Probably another $20 a day in snacks or ice cream. Does this sound right?
Sounds right to me. $10 for adult meal $6 for kids meal. Buying the dp works for us.
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4360 View Post
Sounds right to me. $10 for adult meal $6 for kids meal. Buying the dp works for us.
Adult meals do not include drinks, just FYI. They are $2.50-$3 each. We are me, DH, DS12 and 9, and we budget $50 for CS lunch or dinner; breakfast is a little less.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
Hi,

We have never gotten the DDP as it's much more $$'s than OOP for us. My dh & I spent 10 nights/11 days onsite in Dec. and ate TS 5 times, the rest QS, and spent a little over $600. We ate what and when we wanted (including snacks). We are not *heavy* eaters, don't eat desserts with our meals & don't drink sodas. We also eat when we want, not by the clock (with the exception of 5 ADR's). I know $100 a day QS (even with 2 children) would be well enough for us.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

It will really depend on your family and whether or not you are "big" eaters. We always have the DDP but I did tally up the receipts for our last trip and it was SHOCKING how much we would have had to pay. That said, you order things you wouldn't necessarily order if you were paying OOP.

Even though we have the DDP, my DD8 almost always share a counter service meal. For example, at Staring Rolls, we'll get the ham wedge sandwich, chips, large drink and a cupcake (the deal you get on the DDP) and we'll split it between us. Or I'll get a burger, fries, dessert and drink and if she is particularly hungry an extra fries and we'll share. We always use our extra credits left at the end of the trip to buy lunch for another family as a tiny bit of magic for them.

Certainly with a 7 year old I would say you could easily share a counter service meal, so you'd only need 2 adult and 1 child meal. I think you're close with your estimate but maybe a little low.
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
RainK
Mouseketeer

We have always done the DP with TS and QS meals and have always ordered things we normally never would have if it wasn't 'free'...ie dessert.
We are not big eaters. We could manage on a banana for breakfast and then a small lunch and dinner.

We don't drink alcohol so that is a savings right there.
On the DP, if we had a buffet lunch we normally would not have had dinner but because it was free, we would get it. We always over eat on the DP. We would be full from an earlier meal but had a ADR and felt like we HAD to go eat.

I guess I should have tallied the receipts to see how much we would have spent out of pocket minus the extras that we normally would have never ordered if we had to pay OP for it.

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: