Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Wanyama Safari without dinner?

Has anyone ever asked, or actually been able, to do the Wanyama Safari without the dinner at a reduced price? I am guessing that the answer is no but we paid for the deluxe dining plan and one of our reseravations is at Jiko for the night that we'd actually have open in our schedule to do the Wanyama safari. I'd love to do the safari and keep our current Jiko ADR.

I could cancel our reservation and pay the full price for the safari but then I really won't feel like I'm getting the most out of the deluxe dining plan by dropping one of the 2 credit signature restaurants. Right now with what the dxddp costs it is barely a savings to what I calculated what our OOP costs would be for what I'd guess we would spend for the reservations we have. If I drop a signature restaurant then we should probably drop the ddp all together and do OOP.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
sndral
DIS Veteran

Anything is possible, but I'm guessing it won't happen for 2 reasons:
1) D/Plans are probably managed by a different department/unit from the Wanyama safari and there's no mechanism to transfer credit from one to the other.
2) DXDP includes appetizer, entree and desert. Wanyama safari dinner includes all of that plus wine so technically they are not quid pro quo(although alcohol is included in Hoop Dee Do and it's 2 TS credits on the DP.)
I thoroughly enjoyed the Wanyama safari 3 years ago and have done deluxe dinning for the last 2 years. W/ the dxdp we schedule all dinners @ 2 TS restaurants (except Boma) and most lunches @ 1 TS and just do breakfast snacks. On our Boma night we do a 2 TS lunch (Brown Derby is a nice option) or a 3rd meal - which is breakfast for us. If I were doing the Wanyama safari and your solution doesn't work, I'd just switch one or two 1 ts lunch(es) to 2 ts restaurant(s) and/or add a character breakfast.
The safari is worth the extra money, IMO.
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
I'd call and ask the Animal Kingdom Lodge planning group directly ((407) 938-4755). My guess is the answer is "no" as well, but you won't know for sure until ask.
Good point - I can go straight to the source I suppose and see what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Anything is possible, but I'm guessing it won't happen for 2 reasons:
1) D/Plans are probably managed by a different department/unit from the Wanyama safari and there's no mechanism to transfer credit from one to the other.
2) DXDP includes appetizer, entree and desert. Wanyama safari dinner includes all of that plus wine so technically they are not quid pro quo(although alcohol is included in Hoop Dee Do and it's 2 TS credits on the DP.)
I thoroughly enjoyed the Wanyama safari 3 years ago and have done deluxe dinning for the last 2 years. W/ the dxdp we schedule all dinners @ 2 TS restaurants (except Boma) and most lunches @ 1 TS and just do breakfast snacks. On our Boma night we do a 2 TS lunch (Brown Derby is a nice option) or a 3rd meal - which is breakfast for us. If I were doing the Wanyama safari and your solution doesn't work, I'd just switch one or two 1 ts lunch(es) to 2 ts restaurant(s) and/or add a character breakfast.
The safari is worth the extra money, IMO.
Thanks for your thoughts on this!! I wasn't thinking I could use the DP for the safari meal because it does have wine but I was thinking we could do the safari and then go on our own way and go to our own reservation and order from the menu using the DP. However, the wine paring does sound good! And it sounds like the meal with the safari is family style so you get to try more types of foods.

I'm really happy with my ADRs but I have a couple of days where we have an 8:30 a.m. breakfast and an 8:00 p.m. dinner. I figured we'd use snack credits for something in between but if I cancel Jiko then we'll have 2 credits for QS meals or TS meals on those days we where have 12 hours between reservations...I'll have to look back at our schedule.

I've been really excited about eating at Jiko. Do you think the family style meal served with the safari, as opposed to us ordering our own apps/entrees, will be a good first experience there?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
Has anyone ever asked, or actually been able, to do the Wanyama Safari without the dinner at a reduced price? I am guessing that the answer is no but we paid for the deluxe dining plan and one of our reseravations is at Jiko for the night that we'd actually have open in our schedule to do the Wanyama safari. I'd love to do the safari and keep our current Jiko ADR.

I could cancel our reservation and pay the full price for the safari but then I really won't feel like I'm getting the most out of the deluxe dining plan by dropping one of the 2 credit signature restaurants. Right now with what the dxddp costs it is barely a savings to what I calculated what our OOP costs would be for what I'd guess we would spend for the reservations we have. If I drop a signature restaurant then we should probably drop the ddp all together and do OOP.
I'd call and ask the Animal Kingdom Lodge planning group directly ((407) 938-4755). My guess is the answer is "no" as well, but you won't know for sure until ask.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You could skip the dinner but they won't reduce the price.

I doubt they would do so in order for you to be able to use dining credits for dinner.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You could skip the dinner but they won't reduce the price.

I doubt they would do so in order for you to be able to use dining credits for dinner.
That's what I'm thinking...and at that point the decision becomes use the 2 TS credits elsewhere on the trip or skip out on the safari. From everything I've read though the safari is worth is so I'm going to see how else I can use our TS credits.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Hmmmm...I just saw this post from October 2012 that they started a new nighttime safari at 10:00 P.M.: http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disn...afari-tour.htm.

And it's on Saturday which is after our current dinner reservation at Jiko. I wish I could find some reviews.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
garnet1240
Please stand clear of the doors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22
Hmmmm...I just saw this post from October 2012 that they started a new nighttime safari at 10:00 P.M.: http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge/news/09oct2012-disney's-animal-kingdom-lodge-introduces-new-nighttime-safari-tour.htm.

And it's on Saturday which is after our current dinner reservation at Jiko. I wish I could find some reviews.

How do you book this?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: