Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
BensWife
Mouseketeer
 
BensWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 381

Going with my Mom who had knee surgery a few months ago

We are going to be going in June. My Mom had knee surgery in October. She just finished her physical therapy and was released to go back to work this week. She is walking well, but still using a cane and can tire easy. I realize that our vacation is a while away, but that sure is a lot of walking for her. Do we need a dr's note to have her use a wheel chair? Any other things we would need for someone with disabilities?
__________________
= DH = Me = DS (7) = DS (4)

'77 DL - Holiday Inn
'93 DL - Disneyland Hotel
'98 WDW - Port Orleans French Q.
'10 DL - Grand Californian (June & Aug),
'12 DL - Candy Cane Inn
'13 WDW - Saratoga Springs (SWW)
July '14 DL - DLH (just DH and ME!)
Sept '14 DL - Renting Grand Californian Villas
BensWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 24,353

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensWife
We are going to be going in June. My Mom had knee surgery in October. She just finished her physical therapy and was released to go back to work this week. She is walking well, but still using a cane and can tire easy. I realize that our vacation is a while away, but that sure is a lot of walking for her. Do we need a dr's note to have her use a wheel chair? Any other things we would need for someone with disabilities?
Anyone can use a wheelchair, I think what you're asking about is a Guest Assistance Card. I recommend the disabilities forum below for further info.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
__________________
WDW: 44 visits (4 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 11 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
tinx35124
Earning My Ears
 
tinx35124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 70

We took my MIL in Sept. Both knees replaced plus she turned 79 so it was her birthday present. Don't need anything to prove she needs a wheelchair. She will be able to go thru most cue lines in the chair as they are a designed for that now. Only the older attractions like Peter Pan will y'all be escorted through the exits to load. Wonderful trip. Hope y'all enjoy yourselves
__________________
tinx35124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
atisikitabasket
Mom Always Said I was a Little Off
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 861

My mom decided 2 weeks before our trip that she was going to get a partial knee replacement. Her Dr suggested it a long time before our trip and she talked to him 2 weeks before and he said "hey I have an opening tomorrow" she of course said ok - she reassured me that he told her " you'll be out doing gardening in a couple day" I told her that is a little different then 8 days at DW but this was her first full stay there usually she has only gone 1 or 2 days. Anyway I called and had a scooter for her because I priced them and it was cheaper getting it off site then at the parks. She had a great time she was able to walk and stuff when she wanted but if she got sore or tired she had the scooter. Now her driving skills another story she went to get off of it at the Grand Floridian and thought she had it off but instead had the throttle all the way up and she hit the throttle and almost ran over DH getting DD out of the stroller and ran into a picket fence and almost knocked it over. Man good times we still pick on her about that!!!! I have to tell you the funniest was at the CR in the main elevators we were going to the lobby and she had to reverse out and there was a huge crowd trying to get on our DS8 was behind her by the door when it opened he yelled "Go Mama" as soon as she went to reverse out he jumped behind her to get out of the door first and she hit him she was not happy and DS was lodged up between the door and her scooter and she said "get out of my way" and DS yelled "I can't mama your on my foot!" We will never let her forget that one. Have a great trip I am sure she will be fine but I suggest a scooter
__________________
Amy
atisikitabasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 11,059

Um, I think that if your mama has the skills of the PPs mama, you'd be wise to stick with the wheelchair. If she is up and walking with only a cane now, she may be totally fine by June. Especially if she keeps gradually increasing her walking each week to rebuild her muscles and endurance (malls are great for this in the winter by the way).

Chairs can be rented near the entrance to every park. And she may not need it all the time- she may prefer to walk frequently to prevent stiffening.

The disAbilities board has a sticky with just about everything you could possibly want to know about wheelchairs, ECVs and touring the parks in them. Here's a link: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,954

I would rent her a scooter for the trip. The average person walks 5 to 13 miles a day at WDW and while a wheel chair is easier to deal with in heavy crowds, pushing somebody the whole day through the parks is a major chore. The parks are not level and even a pusher in good shape will be wiped out by the end of the day.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
BensWife
Mouseketeer
 
BensWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 381

Thanks so much! I didn't think of looking for info on the disabilities forum. I guess I didn't really think of her as having disabilities. There are so many people who really need assistance, but for her, I think maybe a scooter or wheelchair would be enough. Thanks again!
__________________
= DH = Me = DS (7) = DS (4)

'77 DL - Holiday Inn
'93 DL - Disneyland Hotel
'98 WDW - Port Orleans French Q.
'10 DL - Grand Californian (June & Aug),
'12 DL - Candy Cane Inn
'13 WDW - Saratoga Springs (SWW)
July '14 DL - DLH (just DH and ME!)
Sept '14 DL - Renting Grand Californian Villas
BensWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
thepoohguy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 177

As everyone has said, you don't need a doctor's note.

My wife is not 40 and has major knee issues. There is no way she can walk the parks. I'm sure people think that we are "abusing" the system because we are so young, but trust me, she has already had 3 knee surgeries, and are awaiting insurance approval for another.

The one thing I will say if you get a regular wheelchair is buy all the days up front. You get a multiday discount when purchasing upfront.

Also, when going to the MK, there is a gift shop at the TTC. Make sure you rent the wheelchair from there. If not, the person will have to walk from the Monorail, or boat launch to the wheelchair rental at the MK. THIS IS HUGE if they have a hard time walking inclines or declines. Coming from the monorail is a pretty steep walk.

Also, keep your receipt because paying at one park means you get the chair at all parks that day. If you hop, you don't have to pay a second time!
thepoohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisikitabasket View Post
My mom decided 2 weeks before our trip that she was going to get a partial knee replacement. Her Dr suggested it a long time before our trip and she talked to him 2 weeks before and he said "hey I have an opening tomorrow" she of course said ok - she reassured me that he told her " you'll be out doing gardening in a couple day" I told her that is a little different then 8 days at DW but this was her first full stay there usually she has only gone 1 or 2 days. Anyway I called and had a scooter for her because I priced them and it was cheaper getting it off site then at the parks. She had a great time she was able to walk and stuff when she wanted but if she got sore or tired she had the scooter. Now her driving skills another story she went to get off of it at the Grand Floridian and thought she had it off but instead had the throttle all the way up and she hit the throttle and almost ran over DH getting DD out of the stroller and ran into a picket fence and almost knocked it over. Man good times we still pick on her about that!!!! I have to tell you the funniest was at the CR in the main elevators we were going to the lobby and she had to reverse out and there was a huge crowd trying to get on our DS8 was behind her by the door when it opened he yelled "Go Mama" as soon as she went to reverse out he jumped behind her to get out of the door first and she hit him she was not happy and DS was lodged up between the door and her scooter and she said "get out of my way" and DS yelled "I can't mama your on my foot!" We will never let her forget that one. Have a great trip I am sure she will be fine but I suggest a scooter
Wow, not very funny to me - good thing it was just family that she nearly ran over with her wild driving. Someone needed some *practice* runs!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Disney Dad Ga
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Columbus,Ga
Posts: 55

Both of my parents have mobility issues. My Dad had polio when he was young and my Mom has had two surgeries on her knees. They both can walk fine, but rented scooters during our February trip. It made a HUGE difference. They would park them to wait in line because they felt they weren't "disabled" enough to skip lines. Just from standing in lines all day everyday, their ailments were apparent. We are going again in April and they already are lining up their scooter rentals. They rented from WDW this past trip, but are renting from an offiste vendor this time. It's $25/day versus $50/day. Good luck!
Disney Dad Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
tryplm
Mouseketeer
 
tryplm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 291

3 days before our November trip, I broke 2 toes on my left foot. I made it one day of walking through MK before we asked about a w/c. I read somewhere that the resorts have them, so I had DH ask. If you are staying on-site, you can rent one free of charge from the hotel, as long as you have a credit card on file. If its not returned, then you get charged around $300. Much cheaper than $12/day.
__________________
~Missi

2010- Sports 2012- CBR 2013- POP2013- CBR
]
tryplm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
ttintagel
DIS Veteran
 
ttintagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dad Ga View Post
Both of my parents have mobility issues. My Dad had polio when he was young and my Mom has had two surgeries on her knees. They both can walk fine, but rented scooters during our February trip. It made a HUGE difference. They would park them to wait in line because they felt they weren't "disabled" enough to skip lines. Just from standing in lines all day everyday, their ailments were apparent. We are going again in April and they already are lining up their scooter rentals. They rented from WDW this past trip, but are renting from an offiste vendor this time. It's $25/day versus $50/day. Good luck!
Just a tip for next time - almost all of the attractions at WDW have wheelchair-accessible lines. Your parents can stay right on their scooters.
__________________
Last visited Walt Disney World 11/27/12 - 12/03/12
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensWife View Post
We are going to be going in June. My Mom had knee surgery in October. She just finished her physical therapy and was released to go back to work this week. She is walking well, but still using a cane and can tire easy. I realize that our vacation is a while away, but that sure is a lot of walking for her. Do we need a dr's note to have her use a wheel chair? Any other things we would need for someone with disabilities?
How old is your mother? I have two total knee replacements and can walk great now. It's much better with new knees than old knees. I never use a wheelchair or scooter. I'm 62 and will be retiring at the end of the month. You are a long way from June. She might just be fine in June.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.

Last edited by Deb & Bill; 01-13-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac
 
stargazertechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,959

I'd definitely suggest renting a scooter. It will make your trip that much more enjoyable!
__________________
14 Trips total including POFQ, ASMU, CBR, AKL, WL, POP, and a trip to Disneyland!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.