Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
BlakeNJ
DIS Veteran

Lots of time before flight departure--what to do?

We are looking at a return flight of 7pm based on the fact that we can use airline miles. What do most families do with all this extra time once off the boat? We are crunching numbers to see if its best to rent a car, stay local overnight then shuttle back to hotel to have the car for the day--or use a transfer service and deal with extra time.

Any experience with a similar situation? Btw, our kids are all under 11.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

When are you cruising? Rentalcodes.com had some good codes on rental cars right now. We're cruising in 13 days and I just switched over my rental car because I found one for 26 bucks with all taxes and fees. It was 74 so I saved about 45 bucks def check out rental cars. You can pick it up near the port then drop off at airport and use in between time to explorer the area
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
BlakeNJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittmarie04
When are you cruising? Rentalcodes.com had some good codes on rental cars right now. We're cruising in 13 days and I just switched over my rental car because I found one for 26 bucks with all taxes and fees. It was 74 so I saved about 45 bucks def check out rental cars. You can pick it up near the port then drop off at airport and use in between time to explorer the area
I am cruising next December. A single day rental sounds like a good idea.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Our return flight is 6pm and we are going to rent a car for the day. The rate was good and we were using a car service anyway, so now just have to pay for that one way to the port so the rental cost is covered.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeNJ

I am cruising next December. A single day rental sounds like a good idea.
Awesome! Def check out rental cars you can book it and click pay at counter. So you don't pay until you pick it up! Even after you book keep your eye open for other deals/lower rates. If you find one it's very easy to book second one then cancel first one
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

A rental car is going to be the best financial deal.

As to what to do...the car lets you go to Downtown Disney, eat lunch off property, etc. before returning for your flight.

If you do choose to go with transfers, a day room at the Hyatt may be your best bet--you can swim, nap, shower, etc. Of course, that does make you "Stuck" at the airport for the day.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
MrProjectionist
Earning My Ears

I say rent a car and drive to Downtown Disney or the like.

I've done the "wait at the airport for 6 hours" water torture routine...yuck! Never again!
MrProjectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
sdjen
DIS Veteran

For a day room at the Hyatt, you can call and reserve. That rate has never shown up online from what I have seen. We used a day room two years ago after our cruise and I was able to call and reserve it.

It is a very nice option to have. Much nicer than trying to entertain kids in the airport for 6-8 hours! The pool is small but nice and the service is awesome!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
cinmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
For a day room at the Hyatt, you can call and reserve. That rate has never shown up online from what I have seen. We used a day room two years ago after our cruise and I was able to call and reserve it.

It is a very nice option to have. Much nicer than trying to entertain kids in the airport for 6-8 hours! The pool is small but nice and the service is awesome!
Thank you...I called and the rate for the date we need after our cruise is $99 for the day which I think is good. We are going to Disney before the cruise but our flight is @ 7:30 pm...I know there are many other options but since we aleady have a rental car I think th is is ths best option..off the boat & straight to MCO drop off rental..can we check into our flight that early so we can drop off our luggage and then head to the Hyatt with just our carryons?
cinmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
sdjen
DIS Veteran

I am fairly sure that you cannot check your bags at the airline until 3-4 hours before your flight. You may have to search on your airlines website to confirm.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
cinmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am fairly sure that you cannot check your bags at the airline until 3-4 hours before your flight. You may have to search on your airlines website to confirm.
Thanks..just checked and it is 4 hours before....
Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Whirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen
Does this also apply if you are using DCL transfers back to the MCO....we have a 3:30 flight, so not quite so long as the late evening flights, but will we have to deal with our bags and not be able to go and relax until flight time. If so, that defeats the whole purpose of the convenience of the DCL trasnsfer?
Whirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #13
cinmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Thank you...I called and the rate for the date we need after our cruise is $99 for the day which I think is good. We are going to Disney before the cruise but our flight is @ 7:30 pm...I know there are many other options but since we aleady have a rental car I think th is is ths best option..off the boat & straight to MCO drop off rental..can we check into our flight that early so we can drop off our luggage and then head to the Hyatt with just our carryons?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
calismic
Mouseketeer

We have an 8pm flight and are racing to MK for a few hours. It's a short day but it'll give us time to explore the new fantasyland! We are gonna book it to depart the boat as soon as we clear customs. Got a rental through Budget for $45. (Was 30 but we needed a carseat)

calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
4butlers
DIS Veteran

Another vote for a rental car!
We rented a car and had a nice lunch at DTD and walked around and shopped for a while. We were able to walk right in to T Rex for lunch. It was a nice way to end our Disney adventure.

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: