Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
jbshell
Earning My Ears

How long did it take you to save up money

How long did you save money before going on your first cruise? We are looking to sail Nov 2015
jbshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
DisneyManFamily4
Mouseketeer

YEARS!
Sadly, we weren't able to vacation for five years after DH and I got married. We weren't actually saving all that time. Even so, we couldn't really afford a Disney Cruise, so we did a 4night on Carnival immediately followed with a 3 night Disney cruise on the Wonder. Needless to say, I was so happy we had the Disney cruise AFTER the carnival cruise because our first DCL experience blew Carnival out of the water.

Don't get me wrong, we still cruise on Carnival because we can't usually do a Disney cruise every year. We average a Disney cruise every two years.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
jbshell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyManFamily4
YEARS!
Sadly, we weren't able to vacation for five years after DH and I got married. We weren't actually saving all that time. Even so, we couldn't really afford a Disney Cruise, so we did a 4night on Carnival immediately followed with a 3 night Disney cruise on the Wonder. Needless to say, I was so happy we had the Disney cruise AFTER the carnival cruise because our first DCL experience blew Carnival out of the water.

Don't get me wrong, we still cruise on Carnival because we can't usually do a Disney cruise every year. We average a Disney cruise every two years.
Thanks we have been married 8 years and only have gone on one tiny vacation not even out of state lol we have 4 small children and travel expense is huge .... So from this week until we sail I will be saving every penny
Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

IIRC almost 2 years. We knew we wanted to sail so started saving.
Finally settled on DCL Fantasy 6 months later. Then had 14 more months to pay it off. The wait was brutal, but gave lots of time to pay.
Some of these sailings, if you are after a specific cabin, need to be booked way in advance. Some also feel it saves you $ by booking early.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Huh? We really haven't had to save up for any of our cruises.

For our first one, it was a 2 day cruise to nowhere from LA and it became available the day after I received a nice bonus at work and the cruise was only a fraction of the bonus, so we immediately booked it.

For our second, we simply rented some of our DVC points (the cruise we wanted to do wasn't accepting DVC points) and used the cash from that to sail on our second cruise.

Since they both sailed out of Los Angeles, we had no airfare or hotel to book.

I have to say that I LOVE DVC, we have been able to do several major vacations since buying in 2010. We were able to do several before that as well, but they were definitely not as nice of accommodations and our DVC membership cost about the same as 2-3 of those trips and it's paid for 50 years worth of vacations (even factoring in Annual Dues, the break even point is at about 4 vacations). No, it won't work for everyone, but when I see these threads about saving for vacations, it makes me realize how important yearly vacations is to us and how amazing DVC truly is in our case.

Last edited by cmwade77; 01-08-2013 at 12:55 AM.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
kimberlyelayne
Mouseketeer

We usually book a year in advance and place a deposit with tax money or work bonus. Then make payments every month and pay off the cruise about three months in advance. Then take two months to pay air. And save last month of spending money

DH Me DS 7 DD 11 DD 14
kimberlyelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Huh? We really haven't had to save up for any of our cruises.

For our first one, it was a 2 day cruise to nowhere from LA and it became available the day after I received a nice bonus at work and the cruise was only a fraction of the bonus, so we immediately booked it.

For our second, we simply rented some of our DVC points (the cruise we wanted to do wasn't accepting DVC points) and used the cash from that to sail on our second cruise.

Since they both sailed out of Los Angeles, we had no airfare or hotel to book.

I have to say that I LOVE DVC, we have been able to do several major vacations since buying in 2010. We were able to do several before that as well, but they were definitely not as nice of accommodations and our DVC membership cost about the same as 2-3 of those trips and it's paid for 50 years worth of vacations (even factoring in Annual Dues, the break even point is at about 4 vacations). No, it won't work for everyone, but when I see these threads about saving for vacations, it makes me realize how important yearly vacations is to us and how amazing DVC truly is in our case.
DH and I agree with you. I know some folks dont like to use DVC points for cruises however we have sailed 10 times on DCL and have used points 7 of the times. The first time we did not have DVC points. We would not have receached platinum level if we did not have DVC points.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
jbshell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio
Visa. No waiting. :-)

The amount of debt you carry and your net take home pay are very personal and varies widely. We all have to make decisions about where to put our money. IMO most people live in too much house and so most of their money goes towards their mortgage.

Credit is not a bad thing like many claim. It allows you to do things when you need to. Your children will only be children for a short time.

Our kids are grown now and we are working to get completely debt free. We could have been debt free years ago....but would have missed the opportunity to cruise a dozen times with our kids.
we are completely debt free except for mortage and car payment. . but live on just hubbys income since I am a stay at home mom... I refuse to use credit since its takin us 9 years to become debt free.. my inlaws have a permanent camping site at a jellystone park so thats as far as thy get every year for a vacation our oldest is only 8.. and youngest is 7 months at least when we do cruise the baby will be 3

thanks everyone

starting our research for our first cruise ... I reasearch a ton this momma likes planning and budgeting
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshell

we are completely debt free except for mortage and car payment. . but live on just hubbys income since I am a stay at home mom... I refuse to use credit since its takin us 9 years to become debt free.. my inlaws have a permanent camping site at a jellystone park so thats as far as thy get every year for a vacation our oldest is only 8.. and youngest is 7 months at least when we do cruise the baby will be 3

thanks everyone

starting our research for our first cruise ... I reasearch a ton this momma likes planning and budgeting
You're in the right place, research away!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshell View Post

thanks everyone

Part of the fun of DCL vacations (or any vacation really) is the planning and anticipation.

I don't know why people think "debt free" means they can still have a mortgage and car payment and call themselves debt free? Credit card debt is higher interest but you can get a home equity loan at like 2.9% interest and use it for anything you want to use it for. Debt is debt. Period. Get a home equity loan (second mortgage) and pay off all your credit cards, car loans, student loans and other loans....are you any less in debt? No. You still owe the same amount of debt.

But again, nothing wrong with debt! Just look at what the debt is costing you and decide if that cost is worth it. IOW, if you own you own home but owe a gazillion dollars on it, you are paying 2 gallion in interest....we we accept this because we want to own our own home. Same with a car. We can drive a clunker for 10 years till we can save enough o pay cash for the car or we can accept the fact that a 20k car will cost of 23k after we pay the interest but we can enjoy the car NOW and not wait for it.

It all comes down to priorities. Is it important for you to live in a 3000 sqft home in the best school district and the nicest neighborhood or would you be happy in a 2000 sqft home out in the county somewhere. I mention houseing because as I've said, that is the biggest money sink in people's lives. Some people spend their entire life a slave to their mortgage. They build a little equity in their home and they sell their house and buy a bigger/nice/more expensive house. We have lived in our modest house for 23 years...we could easily afford a bigger/nicer/more expensive house....but then we'd take less vacations, we'd eat out at restaurants less, we'd have fewer toys and gadgets and electronics, we have older cars, we'd go out to the movies less, etc.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Part of the fun of DCL vacations (or any vacation really) is the planning and anticipation.

I don't know why people think "debt free" means they can still have a mortgage and car payment and call themselves debt free? Credit card debt is higher interest but you can get a home equity loan at like 2.9% interest and use it for anything you want to use it for. Debt is debt. Period. Get a home equity loan (second mortgage) and pay off all your credit cards, car loans, student loans and other loans....are you any less in debt? No. You still owe the same amount of debt.

But again, nothing wrong with debt! Just look at what the debt is costing you and decide if that cost is worth it. IOW, if you own you own home but owe a gazillion dollars on it, you are paying 2 gallion in interest....we we accept this because we want to own our own home. Same with a car. We can drive a clunker for 10 years till we can save enough o pay cash for the car or we can accept the fact that a 20k car will cost of 23k after we pay the interest but we can enjoy the car NOW and not wait for it.

It all comes down to priorities. Is it important for you to live in a 3000 sqft home in the best school district and the nicest neighborhood or would you be happy in a 2000 sqft home out in the county somewhere. I mention houseing because as I've said, that is the biggest money sink in people's lives. Some people spend their entire life a slave to their mortgage. They build a little equity in their home and they sell their house and buy a bigger/nice/more expensive house. We have lived in our modest house for 23 years...we could easily afford a bigger/nicer/more expensive house....but then we'd take less vacations, we'd eat out at restaurants less, we'd have fewer toys and gadgets and electronics, we have older cars, we'd go out to the movies less, etc.

Thanks for posting this. I agree & we also fall into that category. We have lived in our home 9 years (paid off a year ago). We could easily afford a house that is twice what we live in, but our 2000 sqft is just fine with us in a smaller less expensive community. If we chose to upgrade our housing, we would give up a lot of other stuff. There is nothing wrong with living in the more expensive houses if that is your priority. Everybody has to decide what works for them & we choose the freedom to take as many vacations as we have time for (usually 3 or 4 a year).
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

My husband has a wonderful job that allows us to use only his salary for our day to day expenses. I own my own business that pays for our vacations and other fun stuff. We generally know a year in advance of our vacation plans and use my $$ throughout the year to book flights, cruise etc.
We never ever take a vacation that isn't 100% payed off before we go! There is no way my husband would enjoy himself if he was mentally tallying up expenses every day!
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
jbshell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomy-san
My husband has a wonderful job that allows us to use only his salary for our day to day expenses. I own my own business that pays for our vacations and other fun stuff. We generally know a year in advance of our vacation plans and use my $$ throughout the year to book flights, cruise etc.
We never ever take a vacation that isn't 100% payed off before we go! There is no way my husband would enjoy himself if he was mentally tallying up expenses every day!
That's awesome if I do side jobs like babysitting etc or selling something we add that money to our extras etc.. Like eating put small day trips etc..
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

we are wanting to take (and pay for) a family cruise in 2014. our children are adults with their own familys so we will be looking for three cabins. add that to the cost of air and we need to save a good bundle. i'm retired so its going to be budget budget budget for a long while. we are sailing this October so we will book the rooms then to get the obc's which will help pay tips at least. I don't want to charge it or cash in investments, wish me luck!
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
jbshell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone
we are wanting to take (and pay for) a family cruise in 2014. our children are adults with their own familys so we will be looking for three cabins. add that to the cost of air and we need to save a good bundle. i'm retired so its going to be budget budget budget for a long while. we are sailing this October so we will book the rooms then to get the obc's which will help pay tips at least. I don't want to charge it or cash in investments, wish me luck!
Good luck....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: