Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
mainedis
Earning My Ears

New Fast Pass PLUS converting paper tickets and passes

The description of the new Fastpass+ system has some potentially nice features. But the worst part of this announcement is the fine print in the terms and conditions about being required to convert paper tickets to electronic in order to participate. That makes sense since you're using a new electronic system.

But where I have a problem is when it says... "once you convert the tickets or pass to FP+, you will no longer be able to participate in the regular fastpass system in the parks". That's ridiculous.

Also, currently people can use the regular fast pass system in multiple parks in one day. Now, if it's implemented as described it's a huge downgrade to covert annual passes or regular tickets to "paperless". The terms say ONE park only for FP+. That would be fine if you could still use "regular" FP at another park you AREN'T use for FP+, but you can't. The Dining equivalent would be like saying if you made an online reservation you then aren't allowed to make a reservation in person at a restaurant. Doesn't make sense and I certainly won't be converting my annual pass to "paperless" if it prevents me from using the regular fast pass system. The new FP+ should enhance the experience not limit it.

And if I'm reading the details correctly, annual pass holders would need to carry around an RF device (I'm assuming bracelet) and also our "de-activated" paper pass in order to still get discounts at the parks. I like that Disney is investing in making the "experience" better for guests, but they need to re-think some of the details of this plan.
mainedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

The way I read it ,it seems even Disney doesn't even know for sure how it's going to work or if it's going to work,there's all kinds of situations that just aren't answered or Disney's being very vague about.All I know is if they don't find a way to straighten them all out,making sure everyone knows how it works and that it works and is equal and fair to everyone,if it doesn't then just drop it and go back to good old FP which works well enough.I have an AP and some days I visit 3-4 parks in one day so I better be able to get FP's at more than one park a day,if I can't what's the point,this would be like a downgrade not an upgrade.There's still threads going around about how people don't understand regular FP,they think they can just collect FP's as they go,they think they have to pay for them etc..You roll this out Disney might have to give everyone who attends their park an 8 hour class before their trip so they can get the basics.
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
mainedis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
I have an AP and some days I visit 3-4 parks in one day so I better be able to get FP's at more than one park a day,if I can't what's the point,this would be like a downgrade not an upgrade.
Totally agree and this is my biggest concern. I want to give the new system a fair chance but I won't even want to convert my AP to "electronic" if I'm then tied to ONE park per day. That rule of FP+ at only one park makes no sense, unless FP+ users can still benefit from the "regular" fast passes at the park you aren't using FP+. So if I use FP+ at Hollywood Studios, and then go to Epcot I'm stuck in all stand-by lines. Makes no sense.

Last edited by mainedis; 01-07-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
hmillerbarilla
DIS Veteran

Yep. This is exactly my concern as well. We're AP holders, and DVC. I'm even concerned about connecting my DVC reservation onto the "Disney Experience" because I can see something getting totally screwed up.

I will NOT convert my AP to only get FPs at one park per day. I also have 3 little kids and cannot super plan my trips. I plan, but I don't plan every minute of everyday.

And, does this mean once I convert my AP that for every trip I'm stuck with FP+ and not regular fastpass?
82, 86, 91-Poly, 94-CBR, 95-CBR, 97-CBR, 98-CR/CBR, 99-CBR, 02-POFQ, 04-CBR, 05-CBR, 06-ASMu, 06-CBR, 07-CBR, 08-BWV, 09-Poly/GF, 09-POP/OKW,10-POR/WL/BLT,10-SSR/CR/BLT,10-OKW,10-YC/BCV, 11-BWV/OKW/BCV, 12-POR/BLT, 12-SSR, 12-AKV/BLT,12-SSR, 13-BWV, 13-AKV, 13-CBR, 13-CSR, 14-AKV/SSR, 14-CBR/POFQ, 14-ASsp, 14-AOA/BCV/OKW,
14-CBR
hmillerbarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
mainedis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmillerbarilla View Post
And, does this mean once I convert my AP that for every trip I'm stuck with FP+ and not regular fastpass?
From the "terms and conditions" posted in the DIS post, it clearly says that once you convert to electronic you can't use the old pass and can't participate in the current fast pass system (and the "old paper pass" is needed for the current fast pass machines). I'm assuming that yes it would be for all future trips. In addition, we as AP holders would still have to carry our "deactivated" paper pass to get 10% discounts. Does not seem to be an enhancement to me...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
hmillerbarilla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainedis View Post
From the "terms and conditions" posted in the DIS post, it clearly says that once you convert to electronic you can't use the old pass and can't participate in the current fast pass system (and the "old paper pass" is needed for the current fast pass machines). I'm assuming that yes it would be for all future trips. In addition, we as AP holders would still have to carry our "deactivated" paper pass to get 10% discounts. Does not seem to be an enhancement to me...

That is what I thought the conditons were. No thanks.

My DH and I are heading down next week, and I would love to maybe grab a FP for Soarin' or something, but it won't be nearly the same kind of touring we would do with our kids, and I wouldn't want to tie our APs up in some "experience" we don't want/need for a couple's trip.
82, 86, 91-Poly, 94-CBR, 95-CBR, 97-CBR, 98-CR/CBR, 99-CBR, 02-POFQ, 04-CBR, 05-CBR, 06-ASMu, 06-CBR, 07-CBR, 08-BWV, 09-Poly/GF, 09-POP/OKW,10-POR/WL/BLT,10-SSR/CR/BLT,10-OKW,10-YC/BCV, 11-BWV/OKW/BCV, 12-POR/BLT, 12-SSR, 12-AKV/BLT,12-SSR, 13-BWV, 13-AKV, 13-CBR, 13-CSR, 14-AKV/SSR, 14-CBR/POFQ, 14-ASsp, 14-AOA/BCV/OKW,
14-CBR
hmillerbarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmillerbarilla View Post
Yep.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001
The way I read it ,it seems even Disney doesn't even know for sure how it's going to work or if it's going to work,there's all kinds of situations that just aren't answered or Disney's being very vague about.All I know is if they don't find a way to straighten them all out,making sure everyone knows how it works and that it works and is equal and fair to everyone,if it doesn't then just drop it and go back to good old FP which works well enough.
I would not bet a single dollar on Disney realizing this program is problematic and going back to the old FP system. They've dumped nearly $2 billion into this new system, so with that kind of investment, there's no turning back now. Adapt and move along seems to be the name of the game these days.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I wish we had a roll out date and more details. Our trip is in 6 weeks. If (and I realize this is ALL a big "IF" at this point) I can leave my AP as a paper ticket and use it to still get fast passes the regular way.. great, and they will have to pry it out of my tight little fist. However, if I can't and need to book fastpass+ reservations, it would be nice to know now so I can do some planning.
However, I can't see it being ready in time since as Canadians we don't even have access to the new website at this point and the old website won't show most of our reservations.

This is all just a lot of speculation and conjecture at this point, which is all nice in theory, until it potentially impacts the five thousand dollar vacation you're about to go on and you have no answers.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
luvsvacations
Mouseketeer

We plan on being at Disney onsite for 4 days and then going offside. We were planning on buying a 6 day ticket and then going a couple of more times. Does anyone know how that will work - will we still use a wrist band after we check out ??
luvsvacations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The description of the new Fastpass+ system has some potentially nice features. But the worst part of this announcement is the fine print in the terms and conditions about being required to convert paper tickets to electronic in order to participate. That makes sense since you're using a new electronic system.

But where I have a problem is when it says... "once you convert the tickets or pass to FP+, you will no longer be able to participate in the regular fastpass system in the parks". That's ridiculous.

Also, currently people can use the regular fast pass system in multiple parks in one day. Now, if it's implemented as described it's a huge downgrade to covert annual passes or regular tickets to "paperless". The terms say ONE park only for FP+. That would be fine if you could still use "regular" FP at another park you AREN'T use for FP+, but you can't. The Dining equivalent would be like saying if you made an online reservation you then aren't allowed to make a reservation in person at a restaurant. Doesn't make sense and I certainly won't be converting my annual pass to "paperless" if it prevents me from using the regular fast pass system. The new FP+ should enhance the experience not limit it.

And if I'm reading the details correctly, annual pass holders would need to carry around an RF device (I'm assuming bracelet) and also our "de-activated" paper pass in order to still get discounts at the parks. I like that Disney is investing in making the "experience" better for guests, but they need to re-think some of the details of this plan.
I think the goal of this is to enhance the entire experience of the parks like meet and greets, parades, special celebrations, shows, concerts, artists, overlooked rides. All of this at the expense of the popular rides. From the NYtimes, this is what Disney feels is the average patrons experience:

"Disney World guests currently plod through entrance turnstiles, redeeming paper tickets, and then decide what to ride; food and merchandise are bought with cash or credit cards. (Disney hotel key cards can also be used to charge items.) People race to FastPass kiosks, which dispense a limited number of free line-skipping tickets. But gridlock quickly sets in and most people wait. And wait."

The FP+ is designed to "fix" that problem.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
mainedis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I think the goal of this is to enhance the entire experience of the parks like meet and greets, parades, special celebrations, shows, concerts, artists, overlooked rides.
I like the potential of reserving FP times for attractions like Soarin and Toy Storia Mania and it's a creative idea to reserve fireworks viewing areas etc. But at the expense of being locked into ONE park per day? I'm not okay with being forced into ALL standby lines at the 2nd park I choose to go to... I'm okay with change, okay with the reality of long lines as part of my day and adjusting expectations but I am not okay with effectively having my AP downgraded (by no longer being able to benefit from the park hopping because I lose "multiple park" FP access by joining FP+
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I like the potential of reserving FP times for attractions like Soarin and Toy Storia Mania and it's a creative idea to reserve fireworks viewing areas etc. But at the expense of being locked into ONE park per day? I'm not okay with being forced into ALL standby lines at the 2nd park I choose to go to... I'm okay with change, okay with the reality of long lines as part of my day and adjusting expectations but I am not okay with effectively having my AP downgraded (by no longer being able to benefit from the park hopping because I lose "multiple park" FP access by joining FP+
I hear you. I agree it is not a net gain, but a shift. I too hop everyday, it is not going to be good for me.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
eaam
Earning My Ears

MyMagic+ is all about MyMoney+.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I think the goal of this is to enhance the entire experience of the parks like meet and greets, parades, special celebrations, shows, concerts, artists, overlooked rides. All of this at the expense of the popular rides. From the NYtimes, this is what Disney feels is the average patrons experience:

"Disney World guests currently plod through entrance turnstiles, redeeming paper tickets, and then decide what to ride; food and merchandise are bought with cash or credit cards. (Disney hotel key cards can also be used to charge items.) People race to FastPass kiosks, which dispense a limited number of free line-skipping tickets. But gridlock quickly sets in and most people wait. And wait."

The FP+ is designed to "fix" that problem.

I'm afraid the real goal is to make more money... The concept behind FP+ is actually
simple: if you're waiting in a line, you're not shopping or dining. Now, if you spend
less time waiting in a line, there's a chance you'll spend more time, and therefore more money, in the parks.... MyMagic+ is ultimately designed to increase Disney's revenue....

Time has an interesting article about it. Just google "MyMagic+ Time Magazine" and you will find it.

I agree with tinkerbell1984. If we're allowed three FP+'s in advance plus some regular
FP's ( or more FP+'s ) while in the parks, that will be awesome. But if Disney decides to
limit the number of FP+'s per guest per day to only three, than MyMagic+ will become
MyDisappointment+. Or My (bad) Disney Experience. Specially for passholders and DVC
members. I don't think Disney would that.

Disney is taking a long time to disclose FP+s final rules. Which is causing a lot of confusion. My guess is they've sent out a probe and are now collecting the response
before making a final decision.....
Time will tell...
eaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #15
tinkerbell1984
Mouseketeer

I may be wrong but I read it as this:

IN ADVANCE you can book up to 3 fast passes at one park.

Key words being in advance. It really only makes sense that once you scan your band at the park entrance and are in the park you can book more fast passes. It would make sense and keep people from booking 5 rides on TSM before they are even there and work similar to the fp-, with the added benefit of 3 in advance w/o having to run at rope drop, therefore "enhancing your experience".

As for offsiters, it says you will be able to participate with a card or add a band for a cost. Makes sense. The band will come with MYW packages and if you don't have that then you can use the card or buy a designer band.
tinkerbell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: