Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Cloudless Nights
DIS Veteran

New DisneyParksBlog on MyMagic+ and FP+

I don't know how I feel about the wristband thing..

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

At Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, we continually push the boundaries of creativity and innovation to deliver the best possible experience for our guests. We’re always looking for ways to take what we do and do it even better. Over the past few years, we’ve devoted considerable time and resources to create a more immersive, more seamless and more personal experience for each and every guest who spends time with us. I know there’s been significant speculation about these efforts among our fans, so we’re pleased to give you a glimpse into the work we are doing to take the entire Disney guest experience to the next level.

Some of these initiatives are more apparent and can already be seen by our guests – like our interactive queues at Walt Disney World Resort and the Enchanted Art on our cruise ships – while others are more behind-the-scenes and are focused on “how” visitors plan, access and enjoy their experiences with us. Over the next several months, we’ll be rolling out a collection of tools at the Walt Disney World Resort called MyMagic+ that will give guests more opportunities to customize and personalize their entire visit.

Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park. With MyMagic+, guests will be able to do that and more, enabling them to spend more time together and creating an experience that’s better for everyone.

A major component of MyMagic+ is the new My Disney Experience website and mobile app, which gives guests planning their trip the latest information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer. We know that some people like to plan every aspect of their Disney vacation in advance while others like to plan very little, letting their day unfold spontaneously. No matter where guests fall in that spectrum, My Disney Experience gives them the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want. They can book dining and other experiences and reserve times for their favorite attractions, shows and more through an enhanced FastPass system, FastPass+. Once they arrive, they can use their smart phones to spontaneously change their plans in the moment, exploring our parks at their own pace and getting the most out of their visit.

Linking the entire MyMagic+ experience together is an innovative piece of technology we developed called the MagicBand. Worn on the wrist, it will serve as a guest’s room key, theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and optional payment account all rolled into one. We’ve began testing certain aspects of MyMagic+ in Florida last month and the early reactions we’ve gotten have been fantastic.

This collection of tools is another step forward in the ongoing evolution of our guest experience, giving us even more ways to help friends and family create the unforgettable Disney memories that they want most. We’ll be testing, adjusting and adding features to MyMagic+ and My Disney Experience over time and will continue to make improvements based on our guests’ feedback. We look forward to sharing more with you in the months ahead!
** August 2010 - Caribbean Beach ** January 2011 - Caribbean Beach
** August 2011 - All-Star Sports ** August 2012 - Caribbean Beach
** January 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ** May 2013 - All-Star Music **August 2013 - Pop Century
** August 2014 - Boardwalk Villas/AKL Kidani - Savannah View!
Cloudless Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

I think wristbands are irrelevant, because I'm sure you can just use an RFID card or something. It's the technology and new vacation style that is worth noting... hm, interesting article, though.

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

I think it is safe to assume Mr. Staggs and family do not have to run across the park for FP distribution, or split up their party, or wait in line. I found the "I feel your pain" tone not credible.

My concern remains the same: Disney is making certain assumptions about how guests act/react, based on iffy metrics, and may not be guessing correctly about which things guests will enjoy or find useful. It feels like change for the sake of change.

Blog entry makes clear they are leaving room to tweak the system. I wonder how much room for change there is, what would trigger it, and how rapdily it could be implemented.

Given the full on press release phase, it feels like we are close to true roll out. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenParr View Post
I think it is safe to assume Mr. Staggs and family do not have to run across the park for FP distribution, or split up their party, or wait in line. I found the "I feel your pain" tone not credible.
LOL, that was my first thought too!

Followed closely by "I bet his kids will get to ride all THREE mountains in the MK in the same day without doing standby".

It was a very disingenuous piece to write if the rest of us who USED to be able to get FPs for all the headliners will now have to pick and choose.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

It was a very disingenuous piece to write if the rest of us who USED to be able to get FPs for all the headliners will now have to pick and choose.

Disingenuous is the word that comes to my mind as well. DH says that he feels like the best days at Disney are over. I say its a state of mind, but it will be more difficult to enjoy Disney in the same relaxed manner I've come to enjoy.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
Disingenuous is the word that comes to my mind as well. DH says that he feels like the best days at Disney are over. I say its a state of mind, but it will be more difficult to enjoy Disney in the same relaxed manner I've come to enjoy.
I am baffled by people who refer to Disney as some sort of "relaxed" vacation. Do these people visit multiple times a year? i could see that. I had a great time in June on my last visit but it wasn't anything I would consider "relaxing" as a whole.

They must have a different definition of relaxing than I do. I consider relaxing as my trip to Playa Del Carmen in Mexico at the all inclusive resort.
UNCFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
xbonnie38
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
LaurLaur04
Mouseketeer

In all seriousness, what do you do for a child? My DD5 will have that wristband lost in less than 10 minutes!!

My divorce is NOT the end...it is the BEGINNING!

My September 2010 TR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38382769
LaurLaur04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurLaur04 View Post
In all seriousness, what do you do for a child? My DD5 will have that wristband lost in less than 10 minutes!!
You be a parent and take measures to ensure the bracelet is not lost.
UNCFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
BuzzNwoodY0824
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik

You be a parent and take measures to ensure the bracelet is not lost.
Ha good luck with that. I don't even like the idea of wearing one.
BuzzNwoodY0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzNwoodY0824 View Post
THIS! When I am there in the steamy heat of August I want to wear as little as possible (not to mention when I get hot flashes!)

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3happydancers View Post
THIS! When I am there in the steamy heat of August I want to wear as little as possible (not to mention when I get hot flashes!)
I was thinking the EXACT same thing! I could barely handle wearing my regular watch, I do NOT want a rubber bracelet sticking to me!
monorailrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #13
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There is absolutely no way I'am wearing that bracelet!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess

Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not thrilled with the idea of wearing a wristband either. But, even if they don't make another format (e.g. card) available, what prevents us from just putting our and our children's wristbands in our bag like we do current park tix? Doesn't seem like a big problem to me.

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

For our style I think it is great. When we went to Disney last year we did use the fastpass system but more in terms of the way casual guests use it...not commando.

We would grab a fastpass for something and then jump on another ride close by or to a character M&G untill it was our time...except at DHS so Ts...that was a total different approach lol...

However my son is still young and doesnt want to do the "scary" rides...we did do splash and test track but he said never again lol...

So being able to schedule some fastpasses without running around the part sounds great to me...hope the kinks are worked out for our June trip.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: