Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
peainapod
Mouseketeer

Bumper for crib with solid back??

Is there a specialty bumper for a crib with a solid back (convertible)? I've tried online but can't find one.

My crib looks like this one:

I really want to use a bumper (I know some people say no bumpers,etc...I am NOT here to debate just to find a solution)
peainapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

we had the same problem

Where the bumber meets the "head board" loop it back through on the outside of the crib. So it's basically doubled up on the side,

does that make sense? We arranged ours so where the folds are were at the point where the crib-side and head meet, then double it back on the outside of the crib and tie it back to itself.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainapod
Is there a specialty bumper for a crib with a solid back (convertible)? I've tried online but can't find one.

My crib looks like this one:

I really want to use a bumper (I know some people say no bumpers,etc...I am NOT here to debate just to find a solution)
I know you said you didn't want a debate, but I highly suggest you do some research in regards to bumpers before you put on in. I refused to use one after my personal research and I don't think it took anything away from either of their rooms. The American Academy of Pediatrics says they should be completely banned! Why risk putting your child's life for selfish reasons of "cuteness" for you?

ETA: spelling and clairty
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt

Last edited by thedonduck; 01-06-2013 at 08:46 PM.
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
SLP958
DIS Veteran

Please research this. Last year a co-workers baby smothered in crib bedding.

The look is not worth the potential risk.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

You don't need a bumper, it's not worth it just to have a pretty looking crib.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Mickey Fliers
(Not so)Tagless
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And sometimes, it rains"
Don't hate me for the love of the boy band

Location: Until the Navy says otherwise: Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan

Agree with the others. No bumper. Not only is it safer, save the money for something else.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
lemondog
My twins fight over who tooted
I always have the itch!

I know you said it was not open to debate but I know a woman personally whose baby smothered to death in a crib bumper. He was born the same month as my now-13 month old and I immediately took my breathable bumpers out when it happened...apparently they are just as dangerous. I have no bumper and put my baby in a sleep sack so her legs would not get stuck between the slats. Works perfectly.

DD1 (12), DD2 (10), DD3 (10) DD4 (2)

I've been pickled! Thanks illuminati!
lemondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
BellePrincessBelle
Nothing says Thanksgiving like some road kill

I used bumpers & all my kids are alive & well. What I did for the solid back crib was cut off the extra, sew the ends up & tie it to the 3 sides.
BellePrincessBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

i think they are a waste of money. A product that can only be used for a couple of months. can't use them early on b/c of SIDS risk, can't use them once they start to pull up- b/c they can stand on them to pull out of crib.

anyways, when you say solid back, i'm not sure if you are not interested in the safer breathable bumper option:
http://www.amazon.com/BreathableBaby.../dp/B0013FGWD0

ETA: oh good lord, i'm TIRED! I read that - as you were looking for a solid crib bumper...SMH!!!
ANYWAYS a quick google search:

i found a picture/product for solid back cribs: http://www.breathablebaby.com/mm5/me...CRIB-FIT-GUIDE

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)

Last edited by ChitownFamily; 01-07-2013 at 07:00 AM.
ChitownFamily is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellePrincessBelle View Post
I used bumpers & all my kids are alive & well. What I did for the solid back crib was cut off the extra, sew the ends up & tie it to the 3 sides.
Well, I did too, and mine are fine, but I also never wore a seatbelt until I was in my 20's, and never got into a car accident. However, my kids wear seatbelts.

I was also told to place my oldest on her side to sleep (with some contraption). I was told to put the rest of them on their backs. I was told to turn my kids around in the car at one year, because that was safest.

Things are always changing, as more information is gained. I did love bumpers, if only to keep the binkies in the crib! But it's sure easier to change a crib sheet without them.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I am totally amazed at how many ppl just ignored OP's request to not debate whether or not she should use the bumper and went ahead and felt the need to give your advice and opinion anyway.

In a case like that when the OP asks for no debate I think if you feel the need to debate you should back out of that thread on move on to other ones.

But of course everyone feels their own opinion is THE OPINION and goes right on with it.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

If bumpers are important to you, what about those "wonder bumpers" that wrap around each individual crib bar? They claim they are safer and there wouldn't be an issue with the back.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Mickey Fliers
(Not so)Tagless
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And sometimes, it rains"
Don't hate me for the love of the boy band

Location: Until the Navy says otherwise: Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I am totally amazed at how many ppl just ignored OP's request to not debate whether or not she should use the bumper and went ahead and felt the need to give your advice and opinion anyway.

In a case like that when the OP asks for no debate I think if you feel the need to debate you should back out of that thread on move on to other ones.

But of course everyone feels their own opinion is THE OPINION and goes right on with it.
So, just because she asked for no debate on something that could potentially be dangerous to her baby, we should keep our mouths (or fingers) silent? That's silly. No one berated her or called names. It was simply said that while bumpers are cute, they are a potential hazard. I think we would be remiss if we didn't point out that bumpers are unnecessary and can be fatal.

If the OP had said "I need to figure out how to put this space heater close to the crib to keep baby warm. No debate, I really want this space heater as close as possible", wold you honestly not try and tell this mother that it is a bad idea?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: