Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Would you go to the hospital?

My sister is due with her first baby any time now. (First baby in our family...my DD was adopted) Sis is planning to call me when she goes into labor b/c she lives two hours away. DH thinks it is stupid that I'm planning on going to the hospital. He thinks that I should wait until she's at home. (I thought about this, but since Sis asked me to be there, I am definitely going.) Do you go to the hospital when a family member is having a baby?

ETA: Was supposed to be a poll, but I forgot how to do that!

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Definitely go to the hospital! Esp since your sis specifically asked you to be there. I did it for my sis and she did it for me.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Acklander
DIS Veteran

I've always followed the rule of, what laboring mom wants, laboring mom gets. Im always thrilled and honored when invited to such an awesome event and wouldn't pass it up for anything else in the world .
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

I was in the room with my sister when my niece was born and cried my eyes out when she went into labor with her second and I had Back To School Night. So disappointed I couldn't be there. That's a little more than most people do but I think it's nice to go during visiting hours after the baby is born, at the very least.
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

If you dont go you will regret it forever and blame you husband for the rest of your married life. He really just needs a pop over the head with a cast iron skillet!

Of course you should go! This should be a non issue, but God love him, men dont always think the way we do.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
If you dont go you will regret it forever and blame you husband for the rest of your married life. He really just needs a pop over the head with a cast iron skillet!

Of course you should go! This should be a non issue, but God love him, men dont always think the way we do.
I think that I may print your post out & hang it up for him to see. What is it with men & the way they think (uh.....don't think? )

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Since your sister asked, I think you should go. Just make sure she's fully admitted before you leave your house to make the trip. I was sent home two times before they actually admitted me. I had a slow labor.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post

Yes, I think you will regret it if you don't go. A close friend of mine asked me to go in with her and I thought I would be in the way so I didn't go and I have regretted it ever since. Especially since my own sister didn't ask me when she had her kids.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Definitely go.

In our family, having a baby is a family affair. Even for the ones waiting hours on end in the waiting room. Everyone is there for the big arrival. Babies are such a miracle, no one wants to miss out.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Some other things to consider are the timing and what arrangements you have for your own child. I went into labor at 2:45am and called everyone who wanted to be at the hospital around 3:30am (we were on our way to the hospital then). All of our family lives 2 1/2 hours away. My mom let my younger sister miss school and she came along, but she was old enough to take care of herself while my mom was with me and DH during delivery. I don't know how old your child is, but before you 100% commit to being there, you need to run through all of the possible scenarios and have the appropriate plans in place. Best of luck!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
TheSchragFamily
Mouseketeer

Why do you care what anyone else thinks? Your sister asked you to go, you want to go, your husband is being a jerk.
TheSchragFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

When my first niece was born, we went when she was close to delivery. It was my brother's baby, we didn't go into the room while SIL was in labor, she was throwing up and we wanted to give her privacy. We were asked in after she delivered. When my second niece was born, we were watching the first one and she delivered in the middle of the night so we waited for morning to take my niece in to see her sister. When my nephew was born, it was my other brother's baby, his wife was having difficulty and they scheduled a c-section, we went to the hospital when we heard she was going to the operating room.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Nolcrest
DIS Veteran

In my family, we do not go to the hospital during labor. After the baby is born, we would go for a visit to the hospital. We pretty much all live near enough to one another.

If my sister specifically asked me to be there I would though.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

If she requested it I definitely would be there.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander
I've always followed the rule of, what laboring mom wants, laboring mom gets. Im always thrilled and honored when invited to such an awesome event and wouldn't pass it up for anything else in the world .
Word for word!!
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: