Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

First trip dining Gluten Free

Well, I suppose an introduction is in order. I've been to "the World" a few times, but I've never done it while being gluten free. I'm lost as a n00b! Technically, we're Paleo at home, but when I travel I find I can live with everything except Gluten. I'd like to avoid wheat as much as possible, even if it means I have to eat white potatoes, rice and corn (among other things) as alternatives to wheat products.

While perusing the helpful threads here and across the web, I've formed a few questions.
  1. So, it looks like dining used to offer a menu list of Gluten Free options but they don't anymore? Is that correct?
  2. I've come across this site Allergy Eats/Disney. Anyone have experience to verify if it's legit? Seems like it would be a good resource.
  3. Also, favorite Gluten Free QS meals? Got any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Lemonademouth
DIS Veteran

Since discovering I have Celiacs last April I was worried about my Disney vacation that took place in Septembet until I found out you can add your allergy( or items you wish to avoid) to your ADR. When you arrive usually they flag your table in some way and you are unable to order anything until the chef has come to talk to you.

Quick service is similar, only when you get to the front you tell them your allergy and they call for a supervisor. They advise you what can be eaten and then take your order and make it in a seperate kitchen.

You can eat gluten free almost anything somewhere in the world. O'Hana has amazing gf bread. Boma( and the food court in Port Orleans anyway) have pretty good waffles. Kouzzina has amazing pita bread that you would not believe are gf. 50's Prime Time has a pretty good gf meatloaf.

As far as counter service goes in the magic kingdom most QS restaurants have a gf bun for their sandwiches and burgers. Pinocchio's Village Haus has a gf Pizza, it is the Amy's brand and I suggest you try one before spending the extra on it in the park as it was only so-so, but it is still pizza. We did not really eat cs at the other restaurants we ate at the electric umbrella? At Epcot and same deal as MK. Gf bread. All the cs we ate had a seperate dedicated fryer for French fries and a gf brownie or cookie as a dessert option along with the fresh fruit. I liked the cookie better than the brownie but most of the service people said they liked the brownie better so if you get the opportunity try both!
Lemonademouth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
sb682
DIS Veteran

We are Paleo at home, too, and I haven't found very many reports about DW online from Paleo bloggers. Nom Nom Paleo posted her trip to Disneyland last year and there are photos of what she ate; it might be a good jumping off point. I do have physical reactions to corn and gluten, so I plan on avoiding that as much as possible. I have also seen on other message boards that some people let the chefs at TS restaurants know that they don't eat grains and they will gladly substitute extra vegetables for pasta or rice. I'm assuming you can order things like burgers on a bed of lettuce instead of a bun, but I'm not sure. I'm also planning on bringing Larabars and some homemade muffins and cookies on our trip, and either bringing things like almond butter and jerky from home or stopping at Publix. Garden Grocer will deliver groceries to your hotel for a fee, so that might work, too. Hope someone else has some other ideas, I'd love to read them!
sb682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

As I type, I'm eating my coconut flour zucchini muffin that I made the other day

We're gluten free and soy free, and have been GF and SF at WDW (September 2011). It wasn't hard being gluten free... what WAS hard was being GF/SF AND vegetarian (review in my siggie). Now that we're no longer vegetarian, it'll be SO.MUCH.BETTER next trip. Seriously. Paleo folks shouldn't have a problem finding food. Snacks might be tricky, but that's tricky to find at home too, unless you make them .

We're *mostly* paleo at home, though we do eat dairy (raw cheese, goat milk yogurt, you know the drill) and rice or corn on occasion. But so far today, my eggs and greens omelet and my coconut flour zucchini muffin have all been paleo . When we go back in September, we're going to do the following things...

We're renting DVC points for a studio at BWV, so we'll have a small kitchenette. Keep fresh fruits and veggies in the fridge, and if the fridge works well, get some organic yogurt and eggs from Publix or Whole Foods. Bring a couple "real" bowls and plates in the suitcase to make microwave eggs. I've never done this (I don't own a microwave) but my dad does so I'll ask him how he does that.

Make and freeze coconut flour muffins for snacks. Keep in fridge in room.

Pick up some Larabars from Publix or Whole Foods. Hubs will want some GF bread (probably Udi's) so we'll pick up some of that, too. Whatcanyado.

Bring along some chia seeds, nuts, coconut, dried fruit, etc.

As far as eating at restaurants, we'll just stick to meat and veggies or salads but we'll be pretty relaxed about having a gluten free roll with dinner, or getting some Enjoy Life cookies as a snack since those are available in the parks. Breakfast will be in the room, we'll bring our own snacks and probably our own lunch, too.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
sb682
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post
Bring a couple "real" bowls and plates in the suitcase to make microwave eggs. I've never done this (I don't own a microwave) but my dad does so I'll ask him how he does that.
Microwaved scrambled eggs are so easy! I make mine in a pan most days, but you can grease a coffee mug with butter or olive oil, crack 2 eggs in it and scramble, then microwave for 30-60 seconds. Just make sure you grease that sucker or you'll be sorry later.
sb682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

My DS age 7 and myself are gluten free and we had an awesome time at Disney! Oh my goodness....I don't want to vacation anywhere else. They catered to our needs so well and the gluten free foods did not cost more. My son loved the gluten free chicken nuggets and fries-a real treat for a kiddo who had never been out to eat! We did Chef Mickey's and Whispering Canyon Cafe and mostly ate quick service at Wilderness Lodge or in the parks. We also brought our own bread in our suitcase and larabars, protein bars for snacks and had Garden Grocer deliver an order to our room. Garden Grocer could even get gluten free cereals, almond milk and glutino pretzels for us.
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Cuddlemama
Mouseketeer

Could I please get a copy of the PDF emailed to leigh@simpleleigh.com?
Cuddlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlemama View Post
Could I please get a copy of the PDF emailed to leigh@simpleleigh.com?

sent check your email.

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
2plus2equalsus
Earning My Ears

Thank you all for your posts and suggestions. Very helpful as we have the same question.

I grew up going to Disneyland yearly.
We Honeymooned at Disneyland in 2002.
We celebrated the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland. And our first son's first trip. 2005.
First trip to Christmas at DL 2007.
I spent 24 hours at Disneyland on Leap Day 2011.
Our Family's first trip for our 10th wedding Anniversary to DL in 2012.
DS Birthday Trip & Kids first trip to WDW. 2013
2plus2equalsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus2equalsus
Thank you all for your posts and suggestions. Very helpful as we have the same question.
I've had a few meals and they have all been delicious and just what I need!
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
ffindis
Mouseketeer

Hey Geffric,
I would love a copy of that PDF also. Could you please send it to ffindis@aol.com.
Thanks in advance
ffindis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran

Honestly I thought the same thing... Getting a Steak and veggies would be doable. It was nearly impossible! Everything was slathered with some sort of sauce or additive. Even talking to the chef didn't help.

Sorry that I can't be more reassuring. But I figure you'd prefer honesty... The citrus chicken at pacific warf was good and compliant!

Chikabowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikabowa View Post
Honestly I thought the same thing... Getting a Steak and veggies would be doable. It was nearly impossible! Everything was slathered with some sort of sauce or additive. Even talking to the chef didn't help.

Sorry that I can't be more reassuring. But I figure you'd prefer honesty... The citrus chicken at pacific warf was good and compliant!
The steaks at the TS restaurants were cooked in the sauce? They didn't just grill them and put the sauce on at the end which would allow for just leaving the sauce off? WOW! I really need to look over menus to figure out if there's anything at each restaurant which would be safe.

Citrus anything wouldn't work for my kids since neither can have any citrus fruit. Sigh....

Yes I do prefer honesty. Knowing what to expect is EXTREMELY important to me so thank you! I appreciate learning about your first hand experiences.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran

Yup. At both Goofy's Kitchen and the BBQ the ribs were slathered. At GK I asked for them without sauce and they told me the ribs come with sauce and they are unable to remove it. Although there they were able to provide a piece of salmon without the cream sauce.

At the BBQ they could do ribs without sauce but it took them 45 minutes to bring them to the table. By that point the family had all eaten and was ready to leave.

Chikabowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
zumbergc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikabowa View Post
Yup. At both Goofy's Kitchen and the BBQ the ribs were slathered. At GK I asked for them without sauce and they told me the ribs come with sauce and they are unable to remove it. Although there they were able to provide a piece of salmon without the cream sauce.

At the BBQ they could do ribs without sauce but it took them 45 minutes to bring them to the table. By that point the family had all eaten and was ready to leave.
Sometimes when things are covered in sauce and thats my only option or best option. Seasonings throw my stomach way off.
I politely ask them if they can run it under water to get some of the sauce off of it then cook it. They give me a funny look, and sometimes it helps, other times no luck. Mostly I don't eat out for the reason so many places pre-season all the meats.

That technique (the rinsing won't help a food allergy), but may be useful to some.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: