Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
curlyjbs
1 Tequila...2 Tequila...3 Tequila...FLOOR!!
Rendered unconcious by the sight of the Tag Fairy!
Needed a little color!

My college dd has decided to drop out and go to culinary school!

My head is spinning. This kid was given a great opportunity through sports to attend a great university. Was it her first choice? No. Never heard of this school before. Did she even want to play in college? No....not until she was recruited - then it was the greatest school ever and she HAD to go there blah blah blah. She was accepted to 3 other schools as well (non sports related). Well 1st semester is over - Grades where ok & she made a lot of new friends......she's been home about 3 weeks and last night she tells us she doesnt want to play in the spring - she's just not excited about the season. OK fine. Finish the year but you'll have to find another school for the fall because we cant afford this school without the grants/scholarships you were given. She blows us away with. No, I want to take the next semester off and go to culinary school in the fall. I am speechless. I don't want her taking the semester off - I'm afraid she will never go back! And culinary school???? (No offense to culinary people) I don't know. I just don't know. But I didnt sleep all night and I feel sooooo sad.

"Never underestimate the power of a group of stupid people!"
* HIFS 10/01 * HIFS 6/04 * RPR 6/04 * RPR 8/07 * Windsor Hills 8/07 *
"It's disney....it's crowded. Get over it & go to Universal!
NCL DAWN! THE BAHAMAS, RCCL EXPLORER! WESTERN & EASTERN CARIBBEAN!
curlyjbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
clm10308
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjbs View Post
My head is spinning. This kid was given a great opportunity through sports to attend a great university. Was it her first choice? No. Never heard of this school before. Did she even want to play in college? No....not until she was recruited - then it was the greatest school ever and she HAD to go there blah blah blah. She was accepted to 3 other schools as well (non sports related). Well 1st semester is over - Grades where ok & she made a lot of new friends......she's been home about 3 weeks and last night she tells us she doesnt want to play in the spring - she's just not excited about the season. OK fine. Finish the year but you'll have to find another school for the fall because we cant afford this school without the grants/scholarships you were given. She blows us away with. No, I want to take the next semester off and go to culinary school in the fall. I am speechless. I don't want her taking the semester off - I'm afraid she will never go back! And culinary school???? (No offense to culinary people) I don't know. I just don't know. But I didnt sleep all night and I feel sooooo sad.
What about a compromise of a college that has a culinary program with a degree program?
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm10308 View Post
What about a compromise of a college that has a culinary program with a degree program?
Does such a thing exist?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
debster812
DIS Earth Angel!
Anyone have a spare phone?
Suffered from DIS withdrawals
I feel so technical, 'stick', 'unstick'
Ya Ya Sister!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Does such a thing exist?
I know of at least one University that does offer Culinary Arts with a degree. Both Associates & Bachelor's

http://www.jwu.edu/content.aspx?id=19586
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debster812 View Post
I know of at least one University that does offer Culinary Arts with a degree. Both Associates & Bachelor's

http://www.jwu.edu/content.aspx?id=19586
That's the one my DD's friend is going to for Culinary Arts. We stayed at the hotel in Providence that is basically run by the students that are in the hospitality program. I hear it is a really good school.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Does such a thing exist?
It might -- you usually have to do a TON of digging to find schools that are off the beaten path so to speak. That is how we originally found the school DD was going to go -- no one has heard of it. It is not your typical school although you can get a Bachelor's degree -- it is more a liberal arts school, so I wouldn't send anyone there that say wanted to be an accountant -- although they DO have those type of classes there. They don't have 4 year degrees for everything but do pretty much have 2 year for everything -- so it is basically a Community College/4-year hybrid type. It is really hard to explain but we only found it after some diggigng due to frustration on our parts of trying to find a school that had more hands-on learning but wasn't a conservatory type of school either!

That way, if DD did change what she wanted her major to be, she still had the math, science, english courses, etc....

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I think it would depend on your daughter. Is she someone that gets really excited about things and then loses interest shortly after? Has she previously expressed interest in cooking/baking? I think she can have a wonderful career in the culinary world, however I don't think it will be easy so she should definitely have a passion for it.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Art 1
DIS Veteran

That's too bad. If one of my 2 in college did that we would be very disappointed.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
That's too bad. If one of my 2 in college did that we would be very disappointed.
I think that's too bad - that you would be disappointed that your child wanted to do what they wanted instead of what you wanted.

Honestly, if the OP's child really wants to go to culinary school I think the OP should give her nothing but support. Too many kids make choices based on what mommy and daddy and their friends and their guidance counselors and the "experts" suggest...... and then spend the rest of their lives working in fields that they don't really even enjoy. It's "their" life. Never forget that.

Last edited by pacrosby; 01-06-2013 at 11:38 AM.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrosby View Post
I think that's too bad - that you would be disappointed that your child wanted to do what they wanted instead of what you wanted.

Honestly, if the OP's child really wants to go to culinary school I think the OP should give her nothing but support. Too many kids make choices based on what mommy and daddy and their friends and their guidance counselors and the "experts" suggest...... and then spend the rest of their lives working in fields that they don't really even enjoy. It's "their" life. Never forget that.
...and spend the rest of their lives broke. At that age most have no idea what it takes to buy and maintain a home, raise kids, put them in good schools, activities, dress them well, buy them cars, put braces on their teeth and so forth. There aren't many Ingrid Hoffman's out there. My Son will be graduating college next semester and has a very good job lined up with Apple already. He thanked his mother over Christmas break for pushing him hard and in the right direction and for saving the money to put him through school.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...and spend the rest of their lives broke. At that age most have no idea what it takes to buy and maintain a home, raise kids, put them in good schools, activities, dress them well, buy them cars, put braces on their teeth and so forth. There aren't many Ingrid Hoffman's out there. My Son will be graduating college next semester and has a very good job lined up with Apple already. He thanked his mother over Christmas break for pushing him hard and in the right direction and for saving the money to put him through school.
And that's great if it is what your son is happy with. I hope he likes the job once he's actually working there.

Not everyone is cut out for an office job. Money does not guarantee happiness. It certainly is nice if you can manage both! I hope my children can earn enough money to not struggle and to live happily! To me that is success.

OP, you should be focusing on helping her choose a career path that she will be happy with. If it is culinary school, so be it. She should definately do her research, though! And I agree that she should tough out the year if it means you will have to pay back money you cannot afford to pay back. Perhaps having an "end in sight" will help her get through the next few months.
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
hallie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrosby View Post

hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:

University/college is not for everyone.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Ah freshmen......I have one. He threw out maybe I'll transfer stuff when he first came home and is now excited to be going back( they are on their way right now) oh and his was art school.

I was shocked at how many kids dropped out already, with transfers coming in the fall.

It sounds like she has a plan. Did she ever show an interest in the culinary industry before? She made a commitment to the school she is at to play so I would worry if she drops out she wold have to repay whatever $ they gave her last semester. She should try to at least ride the year out.

Good luck. It's scary.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

I would make her stick out the year and fulfill her sports commitment. They are counting on her. Then reevaluate in the summer.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: