Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Is a three night cruise worth it??

So I just have to ask this question again. I know it has been asked before, perhaps even by me!

Is a three night cruise worth it? I am really hoping that we as a family would be able to tell from this cruise if the experience is something we want to repeat.

I would love to hear again about your experiences with the three night cruise. Anyone care to share??
Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Is it better than no cruise? Definitely! But you will leave wanting more!!
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Ilion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
We left our 7 night cruise wanting more! You always want more!
Ilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
My thoughts exactly. DW and I are doing a four night Dream cruise only so we can say we have seen the ship. But I'm sure four nights will be way too short. Can't work a BB into our schedule for 2013.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
OrlandoDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

One of my favorite cruises was a 3 night when just I and my 7 year old daughter went, leaving Mom and 3 year old son at home.

It was the perfect length for some serious quality time with her and I, yet she did not have time to start missing her Mom.

The whole three days, we were never apart, and I just did whatever she wanted to do, when she wanted to do it.
OrlandoDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
Mikeyto_96
OKraysDisneySon

I haven't been on a 3 or 4 nt cruise, just a 7 and an 8 coming up in 9 days. I would suggest though doing at least a 4 that includes a full day at sea. This way you can experience a couple ports and a sea day. For me a sea day is just as fun as port days as you never know what you might see at sea. Most of your 7 day and longer itineraries include at least 1 sea day, most of them 2 or more. Good Luck!

Mikeyto_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
GrassMaster
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3
So I just have to ask this question again. I know it has been asked before, perhaps even by me!

Is a three night cruise worth it? I am really hoping that we as a family would be able to tell from this cruise if the experience is something we want to repeat.

I would love to hear again about your experiences with the three night cruise. Anyone care to share??
We have only done one 3 night and it was without the kids. It was wonderful, in fact we are doing it again next month. It goes by so fast but it will at least give you a taste.
GrassMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

For us, a 3 night cruise involves the same flights, transportation to the port, etc. as a 7 night in terms of expense and hassle. We essentially lose one day either side from transportation (ok, can fly home day we get off cruise.)

The only way I'd even consider a 3 night would be on a fantastic bargain and combined with a WDW trip. Otherwise, it isn't worth the "getting there."

Better than no cruise--definitely. But a 4 night is not 1/3 better than a 3 night. It's a WHOLE LOT better.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
NCConch
Mouseketeer

We chose a 3 night cruise due to the fact my wife and kids have not cruised before. In Navy parlance, this is a shakedown cruise. If one of us (wife) doesn't like it there is less misery.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCConch View Post
We chose a 3 night cruise due to the fact my wife and kids have not cruised before. In Navy parlance, this is a shakedown cruise. If one of us (wife) doesn't like it there is less misery.

My DH just read this response and said "true that!!"
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
Mandersons04
Mouseketeer

I had asked that same questions when we taking our very first cruise ever. In 2011 It was between a 3 night and a 4 night. We were a little apprehensive about going for a longer cruise so we figured the 3 or 4 night would get our feet wet. While everyone said we'd want a longer cruise, they recommended at least the 4 night and that's what we did along with a Disney World visit. We LOVED it! And now we're getting ready for our 3rd cruise in March which is a 7 night!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

December 2010 - MVMCP
October 2011 - Disney Dream Bahamian and MNSSHP
September 2012 - Disney Magic Canada
March 2013 - Disney Fantasy Western
December 2014 - Disney Wonder Western and Disney
November 2015 - Disney Dream Bahamian and MVMCP
Mandersons04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post

Count me in the camp of believing a 4 night is much, much better than the 3 night. Part of my cruise enjoyment is being at sea, and that just doesn't happen on the 3 night (first day you are busy eating etc. as soon as you depart and it is dark soon, 2nd day you're in the dock in Nassau, 3rd day you're in the dock at Castaway. I relish the day at sea...it is comfortable, the ocean is calming and serene, there are activities on the sea day not on the shorter cruise, you can have brunch at Palo or Remy, there is one more great show, more time to explore the ship, etc.

Since a 3 night is really only a 2 day cruise, the 4 night is 50% more days away and aboard ship (it is a 3 day cruise).

Also, on the 3 night cruise, first night is "welcome" and the second night they're already telling you how to pack your bags and fill out the customs form for debarking.

I know and agree that 3 nights are great, and of course much better than nothing, but I would see if I could find the time and extra money for the 4 night, I believe the increased value and enjoyment is well worth it.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

The DisBoards convinced us to do a 4-night instead of a 3-night and I am very glad we did! We were first time cruisers (with a 2 and 4 yr old) and LOVED it. For us, the 3 night would have been way too short. The 4-night was a good first time experience.

That being said, the 3-nights must be popular and people enjoy them or they wouldn't offer them!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

A 3 night cruise is a fine cruise. We have done 3 nights, 4nights, 7 nights and 7+ nights. We enjoy them all. Longer cruises give us more value and we would always pick longer of course, but sometimes we can fit a 3 night cruise into a long weekend and then we can take a cruise without really using up any vacation days or days where we would otherwise be making money more for cruises. For us the flight is only about 2.5 hours to MCO so sometimes we just take a long weekend in orlando or catch a quick cruise then back to work the next day.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Not worth the money, IMHO. My family had only ever done 7 night cruises before we took a chance with the 4-night Dream last January. We had an absolute blast but it was too short. We're going again at the end of this month with more family and friends who have never cruised before, and I imagine they'll feel the same way. For us, we love Disney and being less than an hour away from Port Canaveral, so for budget reasons the Dream is the best deal right now over the Fantasy. Plus, I'm a teacher, so taking a full week off from school is not good. While the 3-night would've been better, schedule-wise, if you're going to spend a good chunk of change, no less than 4 nights will do.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: