Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I have a hard decision. Need opinions please.

If you had to pick between staying at Coronado Springs or Old Key West which would you choose and why?

I have a hard decision. I can either stay at CSR (hopefully with a free dining offer or pin code) or I can rent DVC points and pay OOP for my food. (I know you can buy the DDP when staying on points too)

Cost wise it works out to be exactly the same to go either route.

Staying at Coronado Springs with free dining would cost around $1900. (that's with room and tickets)
Staying at OKW and paying OOP would cost around $1900. (also room and tickets and food)

See my dilemma?

We originally picked CSR because it has a fitness center and DH works out every day, so he would like having access to the fitness center. But OKW also has a fitness center. And if we book a "hospitality house" room (which is near the main building) then he would be right across the street from OKW's fitness center.

I know CSR is a mod and OKW is listed under deluxe.

I am really leaning towards OKW but really wanted opinions from ppl who have stayed at either place and what they think of the 2 resorts.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
I have a hard decision. I can either stay at CSR (hopefully with a free dining offer or pin code)
i'm not a fan of the DDP. i like having the option to eat what i want and going offsite for a few meals. and i own at OKW (and haven't stayed at CSR since OKW is cheaper for me, but it looks nice) so i'd vote OKW.

Quote:
or I can rent DVC points and pay OOP for my food. (I know you can buy the DDP when staying on points too)
when you rent, keep in mind that if your plans change, you typically cannot get a refund. your plans need to be firm.

DVC resorts on points stays also do not get daily housekeeping (might be a positive or negative - i like not having other people in the room every day.

both resorts have 2 queen beds (OKW studios, at least) and both are fairly large, spread out resorts. i don't know if OKW is that much more "deluxe" than CSR (it's got a nice casual beachy theme but not super fancy...CSR might have a nicer pool) - studios do have a kitchenette, though...

if your plans are rock-solid and you prefer only having a trash-and-tidy housekeeping visit on the 4th day, OKW is a great choice. but if you are the least bit iffy, CSR doesn't seem like much of a step down...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Thanks for the info. I had already told my husband that we need to wait until much later in the year to rent points if we choose OKW but I don't want to wait so long that we can't get a HH room.

My concern about CSR is it's a convention resort and there is always 3 or 4 different conventions going on and I have read some reviews where ppl said they booked a preferred room there and then when they went to check in the were downgraded because they didn't have any preferred rooms available.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

I have never stayed at CSR but have stayed at OKW twice.

OKW is very nice. It has nice themeing, a nice pool w/ slide, boat to DTD, nice restaurants, ect.

I have never done DDP - always just pay for food bc that works for us.

Their studios are the only Deluxe studios to have 2 queens. Their 1brs are also the biggest.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Karabee
DIS Veteran

I've never stayed at CSR but I have stayed at OKW and loved it. It was the type of resort that made me feel as though I really escaped the parks and was on a relaxing vacation. The pool it also very nice and you can't beat the boat to DTD.

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Karabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

We've stayed at both but we have kids, however I'm going to try to think of it as if we didn't. My Wife and I like Coronado better than any mod resort and going for a late night stroll around the lake is beyond NICE. However we like OKW alot as well...actually you picked our two favorite places so I don't think you can go wrong either way so don't make yourself crazy double-thinking your decision once you've made it. OKW has an extremely private feel to it, we hardly ever see someone else, even at the bus stop. The studio room has a mini kitchen which might be nice. Keep in mind that OKW does NOT have elevators so if your hubby really likes to work out get a 3rd floor room Our only issue with the Coronado, and we quickly overcame it, was that we didn't look for appropriate landmarks when we left our room for the bus stop and trying to find it at 1am in the morning after trudging through the parks was very frustrating...a trail of breadcrumbs might be advisable
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

CSR to us is a hidden gem amongst the mods...More of a Deluxe lite (so ta speak)..

I've never been to OKW, & not sure I will, even though we are DVC owners...Just doesn't appeal to us..

CSR has:

POOL : Not only the best Moderate feature pool, but probably the 3rd or 4th best pool of all in WDW. Also nice sized Hot Tub there too.

Health Club/GYM The only Mod to have one...I think. Near the Casitas quiet pool

Bus System W/out a doubt the best on all of WDW resorts..
Never did we wait an extra bus, nor did we ever stand or have to offer my seat for a child or mom, or elderly....So SO impressed by this... The reason being that it is a convention resort , therefore the number of familes compared to the other resorts is less. * BTW We never felt that it felt like a CONVENTION resort.
FoodFrom the Pepper Market, which we enjoyed.....You get seated before you go up and get your food & just immediately sit down & not have to worry about getting a seat when busy, and having your food get cold.. We also ate at the TS restaurant 1 night which was very good too.

Decor/Theme 2nd to none...Beautiful landscaping to the decor in the rooms....

Beds Comfy We'd be back there in a heart beat if we weren't DVC owners...

Good Luck in your choice.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

That is a tough choice because these are two terrific resorts. We too really enjoyed our stays at CSR, but frankly the DVC accomodations are just nicer.
Will your room at OKW have a kitchenette? That can really help save money
on food because you can have some meals & snacks in your room. Also,
Olivias at OKW is one of the best restaurants on property. The one time we used the DDP we didn't much care for it. CSR would be my second choice, but it's not a bad one
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: