Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Ashlotte
Mommy to Ash & Lotte

Is it gross?

Yesterday DH and I bought a used Pottery Barn duvet cover, shams, and pillows off of craigslist. The set would have originally been around $300, but we got it for $40. The set was in someone's guest room, is no more than two years old, and has seen very little use (the owners were having a baby and converting the guest room). The duvet cover and shams went directly into the washing machine when we got home, and the pillows were washed as well (these were decorative pillows... not the kind people actually sleep on, and looked sparkling clean).

Anyway, DH went to work today bragging about his score, and his coworkers were totally grossed out by the idea of buying used bedding. Honestly, I am a HUGE germaphobe, and I personally see nothing odd about a used duvet cover. A used comforter or down blanket, maybem but a duvet cover is basically a sheet, and aren't we all sleeping on used sheets in hotels without flinching? I mean, those are much worse, because countless strangers are using them, rather than the occasional guest in this person's guest room. I'll admit the used pillows are kinda iffy, but they are the kind you just put on the bed when you make it, and are not of actual use other than decoration (and we are washing them).

So, I am curious what you all think. Is it gross?

I might add that DH wants to buy a used couch on craigslist and I refuse. That I think really is gross, as a couch is not washable. (Just to let you know my quirky boundaries).

WDW- Aug 1988, May 2001 (AS Music), May 2009 (BWV), Aug 2014 (SSR & OKW)
DL-
Sep 1999 (honeymoon), Jan 2007 (1st time with kids! ), Feb 2008, Feb 2010, Mar 2011, Sep 2012, Aug 2013
DCL- Magic Western Cruise May 2, 2009 Dream August, 2014
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
endy
DIS Veteran

Not gross at all. I think it's a great deal.
endy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Not gross. A couch, potentially frightening. Unless it is a leather couch with minimal fabric, then maybe not so bad.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Another vote for Not Gross.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
beavismom
*~*~*~*A tag full of gecko pixie dust!*~*~*~*
Spread the Spirit of Christmas (and popcorn) on The DIS!

Not gross. Do these same people also not sleep in hotel beds? You are using someone else'e bedding there and don't even know for sure that is has been washed.
beavismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
finz2left
Mouseketeer

Agree with previous poster...HOTELS?????

You washed it and should ENJOY!
finz2left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
pklein09

DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 1st Place

I buy used linens all the time at auctions - they can be washed. Not gross, in my opinion.

As for the sofa, no way...for the reason you stated....it can't be washed. There's no way to know what bodily fluids are down in the cushions even if the upholstery is clean. Ick.

Casegoods are an entirely different story. I recently bought a 1940s style dining room set. I was able to clean and lemon oil all the wood. I took the fabric and what bit of cushioning off the chairs and trashed all of it before it even came in the house. I started over with new foam, batting, and fabric over the wood frame.

But upholstered furniture...nope, not for me.

Have a Magical Day!!!

[/url]
pklein09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavismom View Post
Not gross. Do these same people also not sleep in hotel beds? You are using someone else'e bedding there and don't even know for sure that is has been washed.
Great deal! I've sold lots of comforters at my garage sales. As longs as they are washed in hot water, they are probably a lot cleaner than the hotels!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
Yesterday DH and I bought a used Pottery Barn duvet cover, shams, and pillows off of craigslist. The set would have originally been around $300, but we got it for $40. The set was in someone's guest room, is no more than two years old, and has seen very little use (the owners were having a baby and converting the guest room). The duvet cover and shams went directly into the washing machine when we got home, and the pillows were washed as well (these were decorative pillows... not the kind people actually sleep on, and looked sparkling clean).

Anyway, DH went to work today bragging about his score, and his coworkers were totally grossed out by the idea of buying used bedding. Honestly, I am a HUGE germaphobe, and I personally see nothing odd about a used duvet cover. A used comforter or down blanket, maybem but a duvet cover is basically a sheet, and aren't we all sleeping on used sheets in hotels without flinching? I mean, those are much worse, because countless strangers are using them, rather than the occasional guest in this person's guest room. I'll admit the used pillows are kinda iffy, but they are the kind you just put on the bed when you make it, and are not of actual use other than decoration (and we are washing them).

So, I am curious what you all think. Is it gross?

I might add that DH wants to buy a used couch on craigslist and I refuse. That I think really is gross, as a couch is not washable. (Just to let you know my quirky boundaries).

Since it is washable, NO, it is not gross.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I've become extremely careful in recent years over what kind of used items can come into the house ... mostly because the thought of a bedbug infestation bothers me. I wouldn't go near a used couch.

Used bedding wouldn't even make me blink an eye. I'd buy it, put it in a plastic bag in the car, and it would go right into my washing machine as soon as it came into the house.

No problem.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

I'll do used upholstered furniture in summer, but not winter. You can kill anything in it by wrapping it tightly in black plastic and letting it sit in hot sun for three days. As far as I'm concerned, the only issue is vermin and odors; if it smells OK in the summer and looks OK, then I'll take it and treat it, and if necessary, re-upholster it if the piece is special enough

Example: my 1848 Swan-neck Gentleman's rocker, just like this one -- I got it for $200 at a local antique mall; it is worth 10 times that, even with the upholstery replaced. The man who had owned it died at age 101, and it was his favorite chair -- the upholstery was a disaster and smelled to high heaven, but for this chair, it was well worth the effort. It is solid mahogany, weighs upward of 100 lbs and has springs and horsehair padding in the seat. I *LOVE* this chair, and so does everyone who visits my house. It is super-comfy and beautiful, too.

FWIW, casegoods can also get bedbug infestations, so it's a good idea to to do the black plastic treatment on those as well, especially bedroom furniture.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
hellow
Mouseketeer

Anything that can be washed in hot water is not gross used.

I have to agree about the fear of bedbugs with used couches now. I have purchased them in the past, but have seen too many shows about bed bug infestations so I have a new phobia.
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

Not gross. But I have to admit when my husband and I first got married and were still in college we furnished our entire apartment with furniture we picked off the side of the road during our city's large item disposal day. Now, I wouldn't do that today because our resources to buy new are better and due to bedbug concerns but I don't really see sitting on a used couch as any different than sitting on a hotel room or lobby couch or a couch in the waiting room of a hospital (yuck, talk about potential for body fluids). We've probably all done that and realistically, aside from a couple of bug/pest issues aside, your chance of catching something from an innate object like a couch is slim to none.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Not gross at all and unless the coworkers never stay in a hotel that doesn't make sense to say such. I think if those coworkers realized the bugs and yuk in some overseas factories that make our clothing and bedding, that we buy new, they would be walking around naked if they really meant what they said. lol

Now a couch or furniture I would worry about roaches or bedbugs but to each their own some people don't worry about those things.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

I bought a king sized flat sheet at the Goodwill to use at the beach. I brought it home all happy with our new beach sheet and DH was totally grossed out. Made no sense to me. I said first of all the Goodwill here is required to wash all bedding before putting it out. Second I washed the sheet in hot water. Third and most importantly, it was for the BEACH! Whatev's I still used it...and so did he...LOL!

What a great find for you though! Love good deals like that!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: