Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Universal seeks rights to Lord of the Rings Attractions

It's rumored that Universal is in negotiations with the Tolkein family to secure the rights to the Lord of Rings with the intention of developing theme park attractions based on the books.

If this is true, it will be interesting to see if there's any action from Disney in terms of putting more steel and concrete in WDW.
crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw
It's rumored that Universal is in negotiations with the Tolkein family to secure the rights to the Lord of Rings with the intention of developing theme park attractions based on the books.

If this is true, it will be interesting to see if there's any action from Disney in terms of putting more steel and concrete in WDW.
If this becomes solid it will be interesting to see how quickly the dwarf coast gets done
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
If this becomes solid it will be interesting to see how quickly the dwarf coast gets done
LOL...that could be pretty awesome...
Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
mrsR123
Mad about the mouse
Teacher, teacher, can you teach me?

It would take lots and lots of capital, and vision to do it well. With any luck at all, anyone starting on it would benefit both WDW and Universal simply through competition and the raising of the bar.
mrsR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
Why? Dwarf coaster is scheduled to open sometime in 2014. At least a year, more likely 3 or more years, before LOR could open.

It would be interesting to see if Disney sees the need to push Avatar (land?) to make sure it opens before LOR.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc

Why? Dwarf coaster is scheduled to open sometime in 2014. At least a year, more likely 3 or more years, before LOR could open.

It would be interesting to see if Disney sees the need to push Avatar (land?) to make sure it opens before LOR.
Exactly. I meant more in terms of getting an official open date
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
LOTR is way bigger than Avatar. Yes, Avatar pulled ina lot of money when it was new, but as a franchise I am friends with geeks galore and it's like meh. It's not a draw. LOTR coupled with HP though.... It will be a geek's Mecca. Myself and my husband included.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
WDW1979

I pick Middle Earth over Pandora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
LOTR is way bigger than Avatar. Yes, Avatar pulled ina lot of money when it was new, but as a franchise I am friends with geeks galore and it's like meh. It's not a draw. LOTR coupled with HP though.... It will be a geek's Mecca. Myself and my husband included.
I agree: "Avatar Land" will likely not be in the same league as "The World of LOTR". Aside from the special effects, Avatar has too much emphasis on "humans bad, everything else good", which is meh when it comes to story, but in LOTR the emphasis is more "humans fallen but capable of great good", which in the LOTR context provided part of a great story.

Disney doesn't need a glorified "Kali River Rapids" (fun rapids but preachy "humans burn and destroy" sets along the way) in the form of special-effects Avatar Land just to show us all how bad humans can be. And if they de-emphasize that part, where is the story?

I pick Middle Earth over Pandora. At the heart of it, the reasons and sentiments behind that personal preference are the same reasons and sentiments that have made me love Disney World since I was a child.

1979 June: Days Lodge Kissimmee - 1991 August: Rental house Orlando - 1997 May: Dixie Landings - 1998 May: Dixie Landings and Polynesian - 1999 July: Wilderness Lodge - 2000 May: Wilderness Lodge, Dixie Landings and Grand Floridian - 2002 April: Dixie Landings - 2002 May: Newport Bay Club at Disneyland Paris - 2003 May: Residence Inn LBV - 2004 April: Villas at Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club Villas - 2005 January/Feb: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Royal Pacific, Hilton - 2005 May: Hampton Inn and Riverside (POR) - 2006 January: Fort Wilderness Cabins and Beach Club Villas - 2007 March: Riverside (POR) - 2008 May: Pop Century - 2008 August: Embassy Suites Int'l Drive - 2009 July: Disneyland Hotel Hong Kong - 2009 Christmas: Wilderness Lodge and Homewood Suites - 2011 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2012 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2013 August: Contemporary, Riverside (POR) - 2014 March: Riverside (POR)
WDW1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
i like them both but LOTR will most certainly not come to Disney if anybody it will be Uni
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

I am looking forward to Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings all in one place if they can get that off the ground but I need new technology to keep me going back. I am very big on rides not only telling new stories but telling them in new ways (by new technologies). The KUKA arm for HP is amazing! If Universal can incorporate more technologies like that, or similar, for effects for the spells of HP and LOTR, then it's going to be pretty hard to keep me away!
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree! I have yet to make it to Universal but have been tempted since they opened Harry Potter. I always felt as if I would be "cheating" on Disney but if they added LOTR, I would be there in New York second! My own personal opinion, I could care less about Avatarland. You couldn't hold me back from LOTR. Oh, the possibilities!

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

hope this goes through and it pushes disney to do more. I keep hoping for a Star Wars Land and a Cars Land to be placed in Hollywood studios !
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarmiller View Post
hope this goes through and it pushes disney to do more. I keep hoping for a Star Wars Land and a Cars Land to be placed in Hollywood studios !
Carsland won't entice the world of geekdom. Betwen LOTR and Harry Potter, man, that would severely cut down the amount of time we spend at Disney as the girls get older. My first ever trip to Orlando was to Universal to see the Wizarding World, not Disneyworld. I doubt any teen or adult is going to say "Yay, Carsland!" Stars Wars however, is a different story.....
Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Carsland won't entice the world of geekdom. Betwen LOTR and Harry Potter, man, that would severely cut down the amount of time we spend at Disney as the girls get older. My first ever trip to Orlando was to Universal to see the Wizarding World, not Disneyworld. I doubt any teen or adult is going to say "Yay, Carsland!" Stars Wars however, is a different story.....

Cars Land would bring in the familys. Which I would classify my current situation. So for the next 10 years at least Cars land is what my family and I would be interested in. I doubt my kids are not going to say YAY LOTR ! And when I have grandkids I expect the same.

My first trip was to Orlando was to Disney World ( and the many trips afterwards too ). I am sure when the kids get older they will enjoy LOTR and Harry Potter and such but right now, Disneys HS needs to attract the families more and Cars Land would be perfect for HS in doing this. As of right now its the one Disney Park I skip most years
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarmiller View Post
Cars Land would bring in the familys. Which I would classify my current situation. So for the next 10 years at least Cars land is what my family and I would be interested in. I doubt my kids are not going to say YAY LOTR ! And when I have grandkids I expect the same.

My first trip was to Orlando was to Disney World ( and the many trips afterwards too ). I am sure when the kids get older they will enjoy LOTR and Harry Potter and such but right now, Disneys HS needs to attract the families more and Cars Land would be perfect for HS in doing this. As of right now its the one Disney Park I skip most years
But Disney already brings in the families, adding a Carsland won't bring in new families, it will just be a bonus for the existing ones. In fact I can see a sort of Carsland for free by walking around the Art of Animation resort. And I doubt any kid over 10 is into Carsland, it's a little kids movie. By then they've moved on to Marvel. I doubt my almost 5 year old girls will still be into princesses at 10.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: