Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
kvcycle
Mouseketeer

Talking Fantastic Couples Retreat on the Fantasy Dec 15th

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Cruise
Cast of Characters: Myself, and my wife Tawnya
Itinerary: St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Castaway Cay
Dates: December 15-22, 2012

Now that the holidays are over and I am all settled back into normal life, I figured I would share my trip report with you all because I appreciate every other member who does this Plus, it will let me reminisce a bit.

Here we are, the happy couple and true kids at heart!

Onto day 1:
We live in Florida so we weren't in any great rush to start out 2 hour drive to the port. However, I really wanted to leave at 11 AM which in my wife's brain meant 11:30. We had a nice relaxing morning downing a whole pot of coffee and 11 AM came and went, and then 11:30 also passed us by. I was getting a little agitated, but we were on vacation so I was going to just go with the flow and not be my normal time obsessed crazy person. I think it was around 12:30 when we finally left the house, still not to panicked and happy to be finally on the road. My wife asks, "Are you sure we have everything?", my response, "Of course, I think we have to much!" Onto to Port Canaveral... or so we thought. About 30 minutes away, I abruptly slammed on the brakes and made a u-turn. I exclaimed, "I forgot out garment bag!" and some other non Disney words All of our formal and dressy clothes we hanging on the back of our bedroom door, very bad place to leave them. Drive back, pick up the final piece of luggage and hit the road again, now around 1:30. I am now freaking out a bit, but trying to keep it under control, while driving like Mario Andretti. The worst part was we made reservations at Park-n-Cruise so we weren't even going directly to the port. Somehow, we made it to Park-n-Cruise at 3:30 and were whisked away to the ship. Nice thing with someone else driving, I was able to get some good photos:

We were at the desk in the terminal by 3:45 and were heckled a bit by the staff in a friendly way. By the way, the terminal looked very cool all decorated for Christmas. We made it on the ship with enough time to walk to our room, check out our free gift:

and walk rather briskly to the lifeboat drill which is now inside and no more life vests. Odd to us and I miss the silly pictures we would take with our vests on, but a lot more comfortable.

By the way, the ship is gorgeous!!! The Christmas decorations added a nice touch and we both felt were just enough without being overwhelming. Our favorite was the ginger bread house which smelled amazing.

Despite a little skepticism, we attended the welcome aboard show and were very happy we did, we got pumped up for the rest of the entertainment and got a preview of the magician on board, Jason Bishop, who we both loved.

Dinner the first night was at Enchanted Garden and we got to meet our wait staff of Jaycon and Nelson, who I dubbed Jelson so I would remember their names Our only table mates who were another couple was dining at Palo so we could spread out comfortably which was perfect because I literally ordered every appetizer. Dinner was delicious, a huge step up from what we experienced on the Dream in September of 2011. We stuffed ourselves. I am not that impressed by the decor of the Enchanted Gardens, it is cute how it changes from day to night, but I think they could do a little better theming the area. Just my 2 cents though.

We walked around a bit and headed back to our room. It was a crazy day and we were going to take advantage of the free, yes I said free, movies on demand.

Despite me being super stressed about almost missing the ship, my wife's attitude was a more positive one. She was just happy we didn't have to wait in any lines, that's my girl.

Stay tuned for Day 2, and feel free to bombard me with questions.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
kvcycle
Mouseketeer

Day 2
At Sea!

Sea days are some of our favorite times on a cruise, just a chance to explore, relax and see all that the ship has to offer. Today we were in for a treat, we had 12:30 reservations for Palo for brunch, but before we stuffed our faces we headed to the DVC social in the tube. This is always a great time with games, a chance to meet fellow members, free swag, and finally Mimosas! We met a couple who even figured out how to bring their dog on board as a service animal, it was also their 26th cruise which was quite inspiring. We watched a presentation, played a game which our team won and had an overall great time. We really want to add some points to our membership, but didn't have the funds to do it this round, maybe next cruise. It is the best time to do it with the offered incentives. OK, enough about that and onto the food!

If you love food and go on a cruise, please do yourself a favor and go to Palo for brunch, it is really just that good. We had an amazing seat by the window in a huge booth and we completely stuffed ourselves. Some of our highlights were the shrimp shooters and caviar for me and the shrimp and artichokes for my wife. I also really enjoyed the grape, blue cheese and wine pizza. It is making me hungry just thinking about it. Here is a view of the seafood table:

Also, don't plan on it being a fast meal. I think we took our time and were getting almost kicked out around 3:00

The food quality and assortment are out of this world. 2 very happy thumbs up.

I really wanted to work out after the food implosion, but the spin class at 4:00 was already filled. Tip, if you want to do any of the exercise classes, sign up first thing in the morning or they fill up very fast.

We just walked around from that point and ended up at the early Aladdin show which was an amazing production, especially considering you are at sea on a ship. There were some characters that we missed, but the genie was a ham and the magic carpet scene really impressed.

Dinner was here before we knew it, especially since it was formal night so we of course had to get all fancy.

Dinner was at the Royal Palace which is absolutely gorgeous! We also met our table mates, Robert and Diana who were on their honeymoon. We really hit it off with them as they were huge Disney fans like ourselves. Food was french fare and was once again amazing, surprised I was hungry, but I managed to eat my fair share of the menu.

After dinner, we did the picture taking tour and got some great shots from the on board photographers and then headed to the adults only magic show. There was a lot of close up magic which was unique and the magician had a great sense of humor. We were kind of hoping for some more larger illusions, but were still very impressed and happy. After the show, we were pooped so we headed back to our room.

Some notes: The weather was pretty crappy, first time cruising in December, all of our other 6 cruises were in hurricane season and this was the first time we had bad weather. Also, we had custom plastic cups made with straws that we were able to refill with beverages and take everywhere with us including adult beverages that were in our fridge
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

I would have so been freaking out heading out on the road that late! <-- I guess fainting is probably not the best idea at that moment, though!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this itinerary, as it is one I would love to do!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
puzzlewoman
Earning My Ears

Yeah, another Fantasy TR. We will be on the jan 12 one with your same itinerary, and I have been gobbling up these reports. We haven't been on the Fantasy yet or done Palo brunch, and so excited to see more positive reviews!
puzzlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
kvcycle
Mouseketeer

Day 3
Is that the sun?

I was starting to feel all the food that I had been eating catching up with me so I snuck out bed early and headed to the stairs and the outdoor jogging track. I did 5 complete trips from deck 1 to deck 12 on the stairs and then headed outside for a nice 5K around the track. Talk about working out in paradise, the sun was shining and quite a few people were out getting their early morning workout on.

Workout done, time to get my lovely wife and replace some of the calories I burned off. We made the trek to Cabanas and I discovered something I had never tried before, muesli. The best way I can describe it is a cold granola oatmeal cereal, but I love it! By the way, Cabanas has a very nice spread for breakfast and I was delighted to get some Mickey waffles with strawberry sauce, I swear they use cake batter to make those delicious things. We ran into our server Jaycon in Cabanas and he totally said hi to us by name. I don't know about you, but I love the fact when people actually remember our names. It is a small thing, but one that makes a huge difference.

After breakfast it was totally time for some sun and we headed to the adults area for some quiet relaxation. Well, we thought we were in the adults area, turns out that right above Cove Cafe is not adults only and we had some young kids playing about. Didn't bother me, but another couple complained and were told that the sun deck for adults was actually another deck higher, who knew? It was so nice finally being able to soak up some vitamin D and we lounged around for bit before we got to crispy.

I think we were both ready for a little air conditioning so we chose to see Wreck it Ralph in 3D

Let me just say the movie theater on the ship had some of the best sound I have ever heard and they used very high quality 3D glasses, not the cheap throw aways you get at most theaters. As far as the movie, we really enjoyed it. Neither of us was expecting much, but we both left happy Having first run movies on the ship is just another perk of sailing with Disney especially if you are a big movie buff like we are.

After the movie we headed over to the Walt Disney Theater to see the matinee showing of Disney Wishes. I feel like a broken record, but once again Disney impressed with its use of live actors, set pieces and music. The thing I was most impressed with and also very excited about was they had full costume characters with eyes and mouths that actually moved. I read that they used this technology for Mickey in the parks at one point, but I didn't expect to see it on the cruise. It just adds another dimension to already superb production.

After all this sitting around, it was time for a coffee refresher so we headed to Cove Cafe for some espresso goodness. We absolutely love this coffee shop on board, it is just so comfortable. We find ourselves, just wanting to curl up and relax there with a big cup of deliciousness.

After some recharging, we headed back to our room to get ready for dinner. We were both determined to catch some live music before our meal so we didn't dawdle as much as normal.

After getting ready, we headed to La Piazza to listen to a pianist do a Billy Joel tribute which I thoroughly enjoyed. I sang along, as Tawnya laughed at me while enjoying a delicious cocktail.

We had a little fun on the scooter that was parked in the corner of the bar too.

Tonight's dinner was at Animators Palette and it was the Crush show which we already experienced on the Dream. However, like almost everything we had experienced on the Fantasy, we enjoyed the show more and found it a lot less intrusive than it was on the Dream. Our favorite item on the menu that night was the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes. These were creamy, amazing goodness. I think I had 2 orders of them!

After dinner, we headed to the Tube for the first time at night.

The Bucket Boys, who were a percussion team who used garbage cans and such to create rhythm and music, were up on stage. They used some adult comedy while entertaining the crowd and we laughed out loud for a good portion of the show.

Time for sleep, tomorrow was going to be our first port, St. Thomas, are we couldn't wait.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Oh, I love those Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes...my mouth is watering just thinking of them!

Sounds like a lovely day at sea!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
WahineMinnie
Diverse Disney Traveler

Bucket boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvcycle View Post
Day 3
Is that the sun?

I was starting to feel all the food that I had been eating catching up with me so I snuck out bed early and headed to the stairs and the outdoor jogging track. I did 5 complete trips from deck 1 to deck 12 on the stairs and then headed outside for a nice 5K around the track. Talk about working out in paradise, the sun was shining and quite a few people were out getting their early morning workout on.

Workout done, time to get my lovely wife and replace some of the calories I burned off. We made the trek to Cabanas and I discovered something I had never tried before, muesli. The best way I can describe it is a cold granola oatmeal cereal, but I love it! By the way, Cabanas has a very nice spread for breakfast and I was delighted to get some Mickey waffles with strawberry sauce, I swear they use cake batter to make those delicious things. We ran into our server Jaycon in Cabanas and he totally said hi to us by name. I don't know about you, but I love the fact when people actually remember our names. It is a small thing, but one that makes a huge difference.

After breakfast it was totally time for some sun and we headed to the adults area for some quiet relaxation. Well, we thought we were in the adults area, turns out that right above Cove Cafe is not adults only and we had some young kids playing about. Didn't bother me, but another couple complained and were told that the sun deck for adults was actually another deck higher, who knew? It was so nice finally being able to soak up some vitamin D and we lounged around for bit before we got to crispy.

I think we were both ready for a little air conditioning so we chose to see Wreck it Ralph in 3D

Let me just say the movie theater on the ship had some of the best sound I have ever heard and they used very high quality 3D glasses, not the cheap throw aways you get at most theaters. As far as the movie, we really enjoyed it. Neither of us was expecting much, but we both left happy Having first run movies on the ship is just another perk of sailing with Disney especially if you are a big movie buff like we are.

After the movie we headed over to the Walt Disney Theater to see the matinee showing of Disney Wishes. I feel like a broken record, but once again Disney impressed with its use of live actors, set pieces and music. The thing I was most impressed with and also very excited about was they had full costume characters with eyes and mouths that actually moved. I read that they used this technology for Mickey in the parks at one point, but I didn't expect to see it on the cruise. It just adds another dimension to already superb production.

After all this sitting around, it was time for a coffee refresher so we headed to Cove Cafe for some espresso goodness. We absolutely love this coffee shop on board, it is just so comfortable. We find ourselves, just wanting to curl up and relax there with a big cup of deliciousness.

After some recharging, we headed back to our room to get ready for dinner. We were both determined to catch some live music before our meal so we didn't dawdle as much as normal.

After getting ready, we headed to La Piazza to listen to a pianist do a Billy Joel tribute which I thoroughly enjoyed. I sang along, as Tawnya laughed at me while enjoying a delicious cocktail.

We had a little fun on the scooter that was parked in the corner of the bar too.

Tonight's dinner was at Animators Palette and it was the Crush show which we already experienced on the Dream. However, like almost everything we had experienced on the Fantasy, we enjoyed the show more and found it a lot less intrusive than it was on the Dream. Our favorite item on the menu that night was the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes. These were creamy, amazing goodness. I think I had 2 orders of them!

After dinner, we headed to the Tube for the first time at night.

The Bucket Boys, who were a percussion team who used garbage cans and such to create rhythm and music, were up on stage. They used some adult comedy while entertaining the crowd and we laughed out loud for a good portion of the show.

Time for sleep, tomorrow was going to be our first port, St. Thomas, are we couldn't wait.

Yup' we loved the nights in the Tube and our DD was one of the Bucket Girls that had her own dance number with one of the bucket boys

DCL Magic June 14 - 26, 2014, 30th Anniversary Trip
DCL Fantasy December 15 -22, 2012
DVC Beach Club Villas May 2012
DVC Vero Beach Villas May 2012
DVC Animal Kingdom June 2010
DVC Adventures by Disney Emerald Isle June 2009
DVC Wilderness Lodge Villas June 2007
DVC Saratoga Springs Villas August 2006
WDW Beach Club Resort December 2005
Disneyland Parks during 2005 Tournament of Roses Parade Tour (DD marched in TORP parade-DD's HS was THE Electric Light Parade. Rest of Disney's floats cancelled due to rain) December 2004/January 2005
DVC Old Key West Villas 1999 (stayed with sister, a founding DVC member)
WDW Port Orleans October 1994
WahineMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
2BusyPlanning
DIS Veteran

Fantastic! Loving your report!

Next Trip:
September 20, 2014
DCL - Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean - AGAIN!

1st DCL cruise: Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean, September 21-28, 2013 - My Blog
2BusyPlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Thanks for postng. We were on this cruise as well. I am glad you had a great trip.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Katekins13
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Katekins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
Lreip
Neverland

Thanks for the report. I'm planning on booking that cruise next year.

1998 All Star Movie
2004 All Star Movie
2006 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Port Orleans
2009 Grand Floridian
Feb. 2010 Wilderness Lodge
Oct. 2010 Caribbean Resort
2011 Disney Dream/Port Orleans
2012 All Star Movie/Disney Dream
2013 Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 All Star Movie
2013 Disney Dream
Lreip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Ltl Mermaid
Spreading Disney Magic with the push of a button

Great TR, can't wait to read more
Old 02-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Meganyvemarie
Mouseketeer

Loving your TR, cant wait to read more!
11 more months until I'm on board the Fantasy!

06/01/2008 Disney Wonder 4-night Bahamas
22/01/2012 Disney Wonder 7-night Mexican Riviera
30/09/2012 Disney Wonder 7-night California Coast
18/01/2014 Disney Fantasy 7-night Western Caribbean
Meganyvemarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: