Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you bring a tripod?
Every day 7 18.42%
Some Parks 19 50.00%
Never 12 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Tripod or no?

How many of you bring a tripod to the parks with you? I've brought one a few times, but only once brought it in to the parks. That was in 2007 when I was both brand new into SLR photography and only on my second trip to WDW. What a newb! I have used it in the resort to take some pictures. Is it worth the hassle? I'm going March 17-24 in case that helps.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
hooch11bear
Mouseketeer

I was in the same boat when we went to the parks. I am so disappointed that I didn't at least take a tripod into the parks a few days. I kept looking for things to set my camera on to take pics, and it was just a huge pain. Next time I will definitely be planning a few days to take it with me, at least 1 day in each park.
hooch11bear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I used too and used it a lot. But with two kids and all their stuff, I usually leave it for space issues.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

I take it when I know I will be there after sunset, or for Wishes or Illuminations. We usually plan out our trips really well, so I know if I have time to use it, then decided to bring it. When I spend a whole day at the park I'll put the tripod in a locker for the day and take it out at night. Also, if you park hop, you only pay for the locker once. At the next park you would just put a deposit down, which you get back when you return the locker key. Just keep the receipt from the first park.

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
havoc315
DIS Veteran

2 trips, brought full dSLR with tripod on the trip. First trip, lugged the tripod to a few dinners, but never to roam around the park. It was really only useful for a couple evening shots, done with a rear curtain flash.
Second trip, tired of lugging it around, only pulled it 1 or 2 times for shots at the resort. Really, not necessary at all.
Third trip, brought gorilla pod with RX100. Thus, fit in my pocket. Used it for Epcot Illuminations twice.

So IMHO... Good to bring along some version of a tripod if you want to shoot fireworks. Otherwise, you can probably live without it. And not bad to explore smaller tripods like gorillapods.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
SunDial
Where Are The Umbrella Hats

To me it depends on what i plan on shooting that day and how late I plan on staying as to whether or not i take both of mine.

I have 2 tripods, a full adjustable and a table top. The table top is in my bag all the time. If i am going to take any kind of long exposure shots then yes the adjustable goes in with me. It will collapse to about 2 feet and is not a problem to carry around and go on any rides with until needed. I have done this quite a few times. I love taking empty park pictures. I have also done some fireworks pics.

If you are planning on shooting the parades and shows then you have to worry about everyone hitting the legs when it gets crowded and it does.

The week you are going should not be that bad. The 2 weeks after your week are when most of the schools go on spring break. That will bring those crowds.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
njtree
Mouseketeer

In the day I would leave at the room. When you going back to the park at night most likely for some night time photography then it is a must. Second trip to a park in the day I would have my tripod with me.

-Dan
njtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Similarly to others, I bring tripods sometimes, depending on what I'm going to be shooting. I didn't answer in the poll, because none of the answers quite matched my use. I mostly bring tripods to parks when I know I intend to do long-exposure shots, which is most often at night. If I won't be heading back to my room during the day, I'll put the tripod in a locker earlier in the day and retrieve it at night, otherwise I'll head back to the room and bring it with me when I head back into the parks. Occasionally, I've shot daytime long exposure shots in the parks, during which I will obviously bring the tripod as well. I've brought my tripod to all 4 parks at one time or another - I'd say Epcot probably gets the tripod treatment the most, followed by Magic Kingdom. I never use a tripod just for standard shooting - only long exposures that exceed the hand-holdable limit greater than 1 second.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
kgreen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtree View Post
In the day I would leave at the room. When you going back to the park at night most likely for some night time photography then it is a must. Second trip to a park in the day I would have my tripod with me.

-Dan
Yes! This is what I did, that way I could get firework photos. I didn't bring mine to Epcot, & during the fireworks I wished I had!! But I did get great pictures at the Magic Kingdom.
kgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I actually think the problem is my tripod. It does not fold down to smaller than 2 feet plus and does not fit in my bag. I think I will look into a smaller one and go from there. For me Disney is the whole deal but the photography is a big part or it. My trip reports are basically slide shows with captions. Lol.

I just value what of all of you think sp that is why I came to you for advice.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
MolonLabe
DTOM

I brought mine in November and left it in the room 5 out of 7 days.

We had a stroller still and fitting it underneath wasn't that big of a deal.

It did come in handy in the room, since we were overlooking MK from CR. I couldn't have done those shots without one.

I also brought it for the morning we had our CRT breakfast and used a remote shutter release, which wasn't working for crap BTW, and at least got a couple of shots using a delayed timer.

Crazy bright sun that morning, I would have loved to had more time to setup the shot, some sort of nice fill flash ect. ect. but there was a horde of people coming behind us and I really rushed to try and get some shots with no one, or only one or two people in it.

Everyone was tired and this was the only really decent shot of all of us together.

So, definitely bring a tripod, just decide on a day by day basis if you want to bring it into a park.

Also at the moment I was setting up the shot I realized... "$%^& ! I can't rotate this tripod mount for portrait, I *have* to do landscape.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #12
rossb
Mouseketeer

If I was going by myself I would probably bring one into the parks. I travel with someone who has no interest in creative photography and feels that stopping to setup a shot is a poor use of valuable vacation time. I have to admit that she makes a good point. I leave mine in the room and sometimes use it at night to shoot HDRs around the resort. I don't even carry an SLR in the parks anymore. I have been using a smaller and lighter mirrorless camera.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised nobody has brought up bringing a monopod. I actually got far more use out of my monopod than my tripod. The funny thing is that I didn't use if for my camera much, but used it with my GoPro quite often. We almost always had the GoPro attached to a stroller for walk around shots, and would attach it to my monopod when we went on rides. The videos I got on Big Thunder Mountain were worth it alone.

Luckily we had a stroller for my nieces and I usually put both in the storage area which was convenient, but I still didn't use it much, because the trip was about them and the temps were in the high 90s most days. For our trip this summer I plan on spending some more time shooting for myself and expect to using it more.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has brought up bringing a monopod. I actually got far more use out of my monopod than my tripod. The funny thing is that I didn't use if for my camera much, but used it with my GoPro quite often. We almost always had the GoPro attached to a stroller for walk around shots, and would attach it to my monopod when we went on rides. The videos I got on Big Thunder Mountain were worth it alone.

Luckily we had a stroller for my nieces and I usually put both in the storage area which was convenient, but I still didn't use it much, because the trip was about them and the temps were in the high 90s most days. For our trip this summer I plan on spending some more time shooting for myself and expect to using it more.

My travel tripod converts to a monopod, and the reason I didn't bring it up was I never found a use for it using still photography while at WDW. As you state, if you use video (DSLR, GoPro, etc.), it would be useful.

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 01-03-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post

A monopod is still susceptible to shake or blur. If you want a stable platform, you want a tripod.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: