Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
rzin
Earning My Ears

Question Is Island Tour in Grand Cayman worth it?

We're cruising on the Disney Wonder Feb 11-16 out of Miami. One of our stops is Grand Cayman. We'd love to do an excursion - either the Island Tour and snorkeling with Stingrays at Stingray City or Rum Point Beach and Stingray City Snorkel.
I should also note that for our excursion in Cozumel we'll likely do the Fury Catamaran and Beach Party...so we'll already have time at a beach. It's not imperative for us to have beach time at both excursions.
Main point I'm wondering about - Has anyone been on this Island Tour at Grand Cayman? Is it worth it? Are you basically stuck on the bus the entire time or do you have time to do some shopping and such? Trying to decide which excursion would be a better use of time at GC. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
misndug
Earning My Ears

I was wondering the same thing. We were wanting to make sure we get to do some shopping at one of the ports and thought the island tour might be a good option.

Me DH DD(11) DS (7)
misndug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
DavidCidra
Traveller

I depends

Hi, It all depends on your age...it can get boring and the island is pretty small.
I would go 100% to a Stingray City trip and come back in time for shopping.
The tour takes you to some really boring places like "Hell" there is absolutely nothing to see there. Depending on witch company you go, they will stop at tortuga rum factory witch is the best thing on the tour as you can get some free samples of the rum cake
On the sea side, you can't see the beach as there are too many condominiums, just at the public beach you will see the water.
I would re-think about it.
That is just my personal opinion.
DavidCidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzin View Post
We're cruising on the Disney Wonder Feb 11-16 out of Miami. One of our stops is Grand Cayman. We'd love to do an excursion - either the Island Tour and snorkeling with Stingrays at Stingray City or Rum Point Beach and Stingray City Snorkel.
I should also note that for our excursion in Cozumel we'll likely do the Fury Catamaran and Beach Party...so we'll already have time at a beach. It's not imperative for us to have beach time at both excursions.
Main point I'm wondering about - Has anyone been on this Island Tour at Grand Cayman? Is it worth it? Are you basically stuck on the bus the entire time or do you have time to do some shopping and such? Trying to decide which excursion would be a better use of time at GC. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
The Grand Cayman tour is not for the young at heart. You are on the bus 90% of the time. You do drive along the coast but there is no adventure. There is a stop for about 15 minutes to take pictures, but that's pretty much the size of it.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We did the island tour thru Captain Marvin's. The highlight of the tour is the turtle farm (30-45 minutes, which is enough). We stopped at Hell (basically a rock formation and gift shops), 7 Mile Beach (10 minute photo stop), a rum place with free samples (10-15 minutes) and the Governor's house (5 minutes). On the way back, we were offered a drop off at one of the main beaches (our choice which) or the tender port. Cost was $30 per adult...which is the same as the turtle farm on an "on your own" basis.

Worth it--yes. WOuld I do it again? No. Once was fine, more not necessary. Our guide was great and talked about island history, caught iguanas for the kids to see/touch, etc.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

We're thinking of doing this excursion. But DCL's description doesn't include Tortuga Rum Factory. We want to make sure that the tour we take includes Tortuga. Anyone know specifically how to make sure that's included?

ETA, Kcashner...I just noticed you said Captain Marvin's had the Rum stop on their tour. Maybe we'll try that.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

We LOVE the "Island Tour with Stingrays" offered through DCL. Yes, you will be on a bus for a time, quick driving tour past the Governor's house and some other historical things. Then, a stop at "Hell" to take some photos. But then, to the turtle farm, which is so fun! (Our kids loved when the guide handed them some baby sea turtles to hold).
After about an hour there (I recommend grabbing something to eat to go), we took a quick bus ride to the dock where we got on a boat to head out to the Stingray Sandbar.
There will be water and lemonade available, but no food, hence the food recommendation at the turtle farm.
The ride to the sandbar is about 30 minutes. Then, about 45 -60 minutes in the water at the sandbar and a 30 minute ride back.
We have done this one 3 times and have not been disappointed.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 View Post
We LOVE the "Island Tour with Stingrays" offered through DCL.
I really wish we could do this tour, but our youngest is 4. I wish they would allow little ones to go along on the tours but stay on the boat with a parent. We'd be just fine watching the snorkeling!
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzin View Post
We're cruising on the Disney Wonder Feb 11-16 out of Miami. One of our stops is Grand Cayman.
We're on the same cruise!

We decided to go with the early (7:45) Shipwreck and Reef Snorkeling excursion for DH, DD (17) and DS (7) while little DS (4) & I stay on the boat. The excursion should be over by 11-11:30, leaving us time to do some shopping & exploring as a family afterwards.
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excursions, grand cayman, island tour, wonder cruise

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: