Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Renting DVC Help

Hi there. I wasn't sure if this was the place to post but the DVC forum states its only for members and those who want to become DVC members so I hope this forum is an okay place to post.

I was looking into buying points to rent at at DVC resort for the first week of December and it looks like a great deal but am I naive to think that there will actually be avaliable rooms for Dec of this year or is that something that you need to book like years in advance? I thought of emailing the person on the site I looked at but he was specific in saying no emails about avalability and I am only in the "researching" phase and not keen on sending money first to check for avaliable rooms.

Does anyone have some insight in this either by being an owner or renting through someone before? Also the quote was $13 a point and sounds almost too good to be true.

Thanks to anyone with insight and Happy New Year!!!

Jenn
thornton0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton0511 View Post
Hi there. I wasn't sure if this was the place to post but the DVC forum states its only for members and those who want to become DVC members so I hope this forum is an okay place to post.

I was looking into buying points to rent at at DVC resort for the first week of December and it looks like a great deal but am I naive to think that there will actually be avaliable rooms for Dec of this year or is that something that you need to book like years in advance? I thought of emailing the person on the site I looked at but he was specific in saying no emails about avalability and I am only in the "researching" phase and not keen on sending money first to check for avaliable rooms.

Does anyone have some insight in this either by being an owner or renting through someone before? Also the quote was $13 a point and sounds almost too good to be true.

Thanks to anyone with insight and Happy New Year!!!

Jenn
The time you are looking at one of the most popular time for DVC members. You need to get it booked now or you will be too late to get it. Some members have already reserved the first six days of Dec 2013 because their seven day reservation started on Nov 30, 2013.

And if you are not 100% certain on the resort, dates, size of villa, you don't even want to bother with DVC. Most members do not offer any cancellation policy. You can't go? You lose whatever you have paid already. And to tie up points at 11 months out you need to be prepared to pay for that reservation. Some members might offer you the opportunity to pay it in pieces, but they are going to set the deadline when final payment is due.

Check out the Rent/Trade board and read the sticky threads at the top of the page to get some idea of what you need to consider. And the threads have been there a while, so there have been some changes. Like adding the dining plan. It must be paid for when you add it to the reservation and you cannot add it when you get there.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

You're welcome to post on any of the DVC forums anytime, there are no restrictions on who can post there. Well, except for the Rent/Trade forum, which has special rules for posting.

To answer your question....the month of December is the busiest time of year for DVC bookings, and the first week is especially tough to get, since the point cost is low, the crowds aren't too crazy and the Christmas activities are in full swing.

Members may book at their home resort 11 months from their check in day, which means you would want to have a member making a reservation for you this week to get December 2013.

There's really no need to check availability before making arrangements with a member, and it's really kind of pointless, since availability changes minute to minute and by the time the member calls and reports back to you, the villa you want may well be gone.

If you know what resort and room type you want, you can look up the required number of points and come to an agreement with the member on what you'll pay ($13/point is pretty typical) and when. I'd advise you to have a number of backup choices, since it's such a busy week. Then the member calls and makes the reservation; if it's available, you'll get it, if not, they'll either get you something from your list of backup choices, or contact you for further instructions if nothing from your list is available.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

thank you guys for the info. We are planning to go from Fri, nov 29th- Sat dec 7th. There will be 6 of us (2 kids) and I was looking at 2 value studios at AKL and did not know if that was something that goes quickly or is already gone at this point and I need to just get another game plan. I was really hoping for free dining this year (never before have we been able to snag this promo) but it doesn't look hopeful so just looking at all the possibilities...sigh
Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Deb & Bill

Quote:
thank you guys for the info. We are planning to go from Fri, nov 29th- Sat dec 7th. There will be 6 of us (2 kids) and I was looking at 2 value studios at AKL and did not know if that was something that goes quickly or is already gone at this point and I need to just get another game plan. I was really hoping for free dining this year (never before have we been able to snag this promo) but it doesn't look hopeful so just looking at all the possibilities...sigh
One thing to know is that studios never connect to other studios and they might even be far apart. So the kids will always have to have adults with them in the studios.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
One thing to know is that studios never connect to other studios and they might even be far apart. So the kids will always have to have adults with them in the studios.
That is good to know thank you
Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
SRiley1985
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, if you are looking at Value studios at AKL you are probably out of luck. Since they are such a great points bargain, they usually go right at the 11 month mark from what I have been told. Since that is a really popular time, I would imagine they are probably gone because there aren't that many anyway. Also, you would have to rent from a member that owns at AKL in order to get a reservation at 11 months out.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Although we haven't rented from Dave, I did look into it for my brother. They got back to me right away.
http://www.dvcrequest.com/

We are DVC members and were out of pts. for my brother and his family. Most members are honest but I would not risk renting directly. If I needed extra points for a trip, I would go through a broker because I'd be a wreck worrying about being ripped off until we checked in to the resort.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Although we haven't rented from Dave, I did look into it for my brother. They got back to me right away.
http://www.dvcrequest.com/

We are DVC members and were out of pts. for my brother and his family. Most members are honest but I would not risk renting directly. If I needed extra points for a trip, I would go through a broker because I'd be a wreck worrying about being ripped off until we checked in to the resort.
Thank you for the link
It's a little scary thinking about renting points so its good to know that going through a "middle man" is a better idea.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRiley1985 View Post
Well, if you are looking at Value studios at AKL you are probably out of luck. Since they are such a great points bargain, they usually go right at the 11 month mark from what I have been told.
I was afraid that would be the case seeing how it seemed almost too good to be true.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Karabee
DIS Veteran

I recently rented through David's Vacation Club rentals and it was great. Certain hotels will already be booked but a year out gives you a great chance. Others will have more than enough room. Not sure if you want to go through his company or find points through an individual but now that I've done it I don't think ill go any other way! It's too great of a deal to pass up. Just be aware any additions to your reservation will need to go through to owner. I found this to be fine and you're still able to make your own dining reservations so it was great.

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Karabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

Stayatwdw is where we rented ours from. I liked that they were local as they are based in Orlando, they have a cancelation policy and you get a gift card for booking with them. They also got back to me right away. I had already booked my room with them by the time David's got back to me.

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrudersmakes3 View Post
Stayatwdw is where we rented ours from. I liked that they were local as they are based in Orlando, they have a cancelation policy and you get a gift card for booking with them. They also got back to me right away. I had already booked my room with them by the time David's got back to me.
There was another thread on the DVC Boards where someone was really unhappy with that company.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabee View Post
I recently rented through David's Vacation Club rentals and it was great. Certain hotels will already be booked but a year out gives you a great chance. Others will have more than enough room. Not sure if you want to go through his company or find points through an individual but now that I've done it I don't think ill go any other way! It's too great of a deal to pass up. Just be aware any additions to your reservation will need to go through to owner. I found this to be fine and you're still able to make your own dining reservations so it was great.
This is the site that I had been looking at. My only concern at this time is that I am trying to really do some research on this whole thing right now and not sure 100% that I would be ready to sign the papers and send off the money today. I also like to ask a lot of questions and not quite ready to send off $91 to check to see what is even available...just trying to weigh all the options right now
Old 01-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Like PP said, the value villas are typically the first to go, so you might already be out of luck. Budget for standard view and contact the broker ASAP!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: