Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
momtoprincesses
Mouseketeer

POR, WL, or Contemporary for family with two young girls?

Hello! This is my first post as I begin planning for our December 2013 trip to DW! I have also posted this on the Families board, but thought I might receive additional feedback here.

Background: My husband and I are taking our two girls in December. My oldest daughter will turn five on the trip and our youngest will be just shy of three. I went to DW as a child several times, but haven't been there in over 15 years. My husband went once when he was seven. This is the first trip for both of my girls! We are planning on four full days at DW, with most time spent at MK and AK.

I have narrowed the hotels down to three and would love your feedback.

POR

Pros: Royal Room; affordable; food court our girls would enjoy
Cons: I think we would need a car since I am not fond of a long bus ride with two little girls and a stroller. Plus we plan on dining at other resorts (Chef Mickeys our arrival night for dinner for sure). Very large resort.

WL

Pros: I like the idea of a deluxe resort, especially with indoor corridors. I like that we have direct access to MK with a boat.
Cons: I still think we would need a car...

Contemporary

Pros: The décor appeals to me. I love that it is a monorail resort within walking distance of MK. I don't think we would need a car.
Cons: Pricey!

Which would you choose, taking into account my girls' ages? Any pros or cons I am missing for any of the options?

Thanks so much for your feedback!
momtoprincesses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Here's my two cents. The first choice I would pick is the CR. I have two toddlers and it offers us the best choices in transportation right now. We love, love, love, the walkway from the CR to the MK. It's so easy. Takes 5-10 minutes. Much quicker than the monorail and you don't have to wait or worry about folding up a stroller (we use a double). Also offers the monorail to Epcot. Check out the garden wing rooms for saving money. Just a short walk to the tower and the room itself is the same.

We stayed at the WL with the boys when they were 18 months old and liked it a good bit. The rooms are smaller than the CR. I was not in love with the boat service to the MK. Some boats you can roll the strollers on, others you must fold them. It also seemed a little slow but it was a pretty ride. The bus service to MK is generally quicker.

Haven't stayed at POR with children but a lot of people do and love it. It's a nice resort.

You didn't ask but I will say that in the 6 times we took our boys to WDW from 18 months to age 3, AK has never been more than a half day park for us. My boys loved Epcot and there really is a lot for the younger kids to do so I wouldn't rule out spending a good bit of time there. We send most of our time at MK but Epcot is a close second with DHS and AK barely touching the radar. Just something consider when planning.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
disneymom443
Mouseketeer

I would do the princess room at POR.I think your girls would love it there. The decor is just wonderful and the mansions are close to the main building.:cool1 My second choice is for WL, I love how beautiful it is there, the boat ride is great to go to MK.

Last for me is the Contemporary, I think it is a wonderful restor, and the monorail is great being right there. For me I just don't like the theme.

These are just my opinions and no matter what you pick, they will be wonderful. Have a great trip.
disneymom443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
dkfogt
Mouseketeer

I would do the Contemporary for the most stress-free trip, hands down.
dkfogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

My vote is for the CR as well. POR is great, but when I stayed there (actually it was just PO - so the FQ side) with young ones I had a car. The bus gets hard with young ones, a stroller, etc. At the CR you can roll the stroller right on to the monorail to cover MK and EP, or walk to the MK, only leaving you to have to "deal" with the buses for AK and HS. WL is also wonderful, but having stayed there without kids, I still haven't found a great time to go back with kids. The hotel itself is great, but the transportation options to the parks leaves a lot to be desired, and there are so many better options.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Belle72
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at all three- but POR before I had children, but with my young niece. My pick is CR. The walk to/from MK was nice. Chef Mickey and the Contempo Cafe were easy to get to. WL was ok but harder than CR with a stroller. POR is my third choice out of all three.
Belle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
momtoprincesses
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your insight. You have given me a lot to think about!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

I have taken my DD at both those ages.

As nice as it would be to be on the monorail loop....it only services 2 parks and its pricey as you said. Do your girls nap ? Mine never did. She would close her eyes for a 1/2 hour or so but not scheduled so going to the room for naps ?? was never an option. Mine was more like fine a quiet cool spot for an hour.
I have never stayed on the loop....

I have stayed at WL. It is a wonderful resort and close to MK. The boat over is very relaxing. I loved the resort BUT once in the room ... it was no difference than a value. Oh wait .. you get better shampoo

Our last trip we stayed in a Royal room at POR. WE love this resort. We always rent a car and fined it affordable. I really don't like Disney buses ( the one thing I miss is the tired people sing its a small world )
I don't like that it could take me 45 minutes to get to HS...
In the heat and sun I don't want to be waiting ....again.
I also like to be able to stop for juice box's and snacks for the week.
and extra time before getting returned to the airport.
So take it for what its worth
All I know is DD (5) has been 7 times and always ask's to return to PoP century
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
babyberger
DIS Veteran

We have recently stayed at both WL and CR (and POR several years ago). I have to say I was hesitant to book CR because of the "lack of theme" and also the high price tag. But my DS begged me to and since it was only for a long weekend we decided to give it a try. I can't express enough how much we enjoyed CR. the sheer convenience of everything being so close was priceless. There were no winding hallways trying to get to elevators (like at WL), the grand concourse is so convenient for anything you could need or want. My kids loved watching the monorail go through the resort and after a long day watching the MK fireworks in our pj's was perfect!!! We loved having the monorail to MK or TTC for Epcot. Oh and the size of the rooms is worth the extra $ as well. DD loved sleeping in the day bed, which gave DS a queen size bed all to himself DH and I still prefer the feel of YC the most but we both agreed with kids CR wins hands down. We will be returning to CR in Feb

WL just wasn't our cup of tea but people do love it. I think with little ones and strollers the hallways and walk to the boat and/or buses will get old fast, but that just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
momtoprincesses
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
We have recently stayed at both WL and CR (and POR several years ago). I have to say I was hesitant to book CR because of the "lack of theme" and also the high price tag. But my DS begged me to and since it was only for a long weekend we decided to give it a try. I can't express enough how much we enjoyed CR. the sheer convenience of everything being so close was priceless. There were no winding hallways trying to get to elevators (like at WL), the grand concourse is so convenient for anything you could need or want. My kids loved watching the monorail go through the resort and after a long day watching the MK fireworks in our pj's was perfect!!! We loved having the monorail to MK or TTC for Epcot. Oh and the size of the rooms is worth the extra $ as well. DD loved sleeping in the day bed, which gave DS a queen size bed all to himself DH and I still prefer the feel of YC the most but we both agreed with kids CR wins hands down. We will be returning to CR in Feb

WL just wasn't our cup of tea but people do love it. I think with little ones and strollers the hallways and walk to the boat and/or buses will get old fast, but that just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Thank you so much for this! I think you may have just tipped the scales in favor of CR if we can swing the price tag...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: