Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Paigeanne
Earning My Ears

We have been waiting for MONTHS to tell our sons 5 & 8 about our 1st cruise!! We're going on the Magic out of Galveston on Jan 26th. Well, we had the most adorable box of stuff full pics and things to tell the kids we where going, including a cute little note from out Elf on the Shelf telling them we had been keeping a secret etc... We set up the automated call from Mickey, the whole 9 yards.
And they where tremendously under impressed.....
I get it. They're young and don't really know what to expect..... but CRAP!!! Our video is terrible, I mean, they asked if hey could play Skylanders now. And I told my hubby to turn the #%@$ thing off!! I almost cried. We've watched some YouTube vids and talked about it all day, and its a LITTLE better. Definitely NOT the picture I painted in my head!!!
Paigeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigeanne View Post
We have been waiting for MONTHS to tell our sons 5 & 8 about our 1st cruise!! We're going on the Magic out of Galveston on Jan 26th. Well, we had the most adorable box of stuff full pics and things to tell the kids we where going, including a cute little note from out Elf on the Shelf telling them we had been keeping a secret etc... We set up the automated call from Mickey, the whole 9 yards.
And they where tremendously under impressed.....
I get it. They're young and don't really know what to expect..... but CRAP!!! Our video is terrible, I mean, they asked if hey could play Skylanders now. And I told my hubby to turn the #%@$ thing off!! I almost cried. We've watched some YouTube vids and talked about it all day, and its a LITTLE better. Definitely NOT the picture I painted in my head!!!
I totally understand but sometimes we, as adults, build up a picture in our head of how our kids will react to something and it turns out completely different than what we thought.

Just because they were not overjoyed don't feel hurt....they will warm up to the idea over time. Just think...Christmas morning and all their toys are around and they can't grasp the idea of something intangible like a cruise. Their focus is on what is in front of them and what they know.

Don't worry!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Of course the disappointment was understandable but kids (especially young kids) often don't react the way you expect them to regarding something that isn't happening RIGHT NOW. My nephews are older and would have preferred to play Skylander too.

as for not getting the great video you anticipated...google "Disney world Dick's house" if that is still around on YouTube...
Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Gdes1
Mouseketeer

Your story reminds me of the experience we just had on our cruise. We took DS when he was 18 months old and he loved the characters and so many things. So, we were very excited to take him back this month as a 3 1/2 year old. We are just back from the 14-day EBPC on the Wonder.

I would say he had an "OK" time. I think some of it was overwhelming. I think 90% of his problem is just his age. But I was SO sad about him not loving every minute of the cruise.

We are also having an "interesting" Christmas, again, due to having a 3 year old. Right now we are doing a gingerbread house kit I got at Target. I'm glad I didn't try to make one from scratch because I would have been bawling if he didn't show interest in it, or smashed it, or otherwise did not create the perfect moment I had in my head. So, all of this has been a lesson to me....no more expectations or setting up of "moments". If something occurs and he's happy, then that's great. But Mommy is not trying so hard on things from now on.

Merry Christmas!
Gdes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer

I feel for you. Since we go to WDW every year we decided to leave our last trip a surprise until the day we left to change things up. We were going to wake them up in the morning and tell them to hurry and get ready so we could catch a plane to Disney.

Well, my 8 yr old was really upset, and started crying. He was actually "off" the whole day. We learned he is much better off if we prepare him ahead of time.
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by believinthemagic
I feel for you. Since we go to WDW every year we decided to leave our last trip a surprise until the day we left to change things up. We were going to wake them up in the morning and tell them to hurry and get ready so we could catch a plane to Disney.

Well, my 8 yr old was really upset, and started crying. He was actually "off" the whole day. We learned he is much better off if we prepare him ahead of time.
That was my DS13 last week. We went to DLR in August, and I told them we weren't coming back for 3 years. Decided to surprise them with a trip. When we got in the car, I told them where we were going, and he was mad. Wanted to go home. He too, likes to be prepared ahead of time.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Paigeanne
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the kind words!! I know they will have a blast, but this morning I was crushed. I expected the scenes from the youtube videos. They really are warming up to it the more they see about it. My 5 y/o thought it was like his pawpaw's fishing boat!!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
lark
DIS Veteran

Very few post videos of disappointed reactions, so youtube is a skewed sample.

I think the surprise gift really has a better chance of working if it's something they have done before or already know they want to do because of videos or friends. Five years old is just too young to really have any idea what you're talking about, even with pictures. Eight is close but still tough. Hopefully, they will go and love it and then you can build on that.

It is just also really hard to say "your gift is that in a month x". It doesn't matter for many kids how great the x is. All they hear is that they are not getting something now. That doesn't mean anything except that they are children. Their minds work different.

The important thing to remember is that the fact that their brains are too little for heavy abstract thinking has no relation to how much fun they will have on the cruise.
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigeanne View Post
Thanks for the kind words!! I know they will have a blast, but this morning I was crushed. I expected the scenes from the youtube videos. They really are warming up to it the more they see about it. My 5 y/o thought it was like his pawpaw's fishing boat!!
How old are the kids in the videos you watch? Perhaps they are experienced cruisers and know exactly what's in store for them. It's hard to get excited for something you don't know what it is and at age 5, can't even picture in his mind.
Don't make him feel bad, or you feel bad either. He'll have a great time on the ship and if you surprised him a 2nd time, maybe you'll get a different response.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Paigeanne
Earning My Ears

Our goodies

http://instagr.am/p/Tq2tgiq8WU/
Old 12-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
rance
DIS Veteran

Exact same for us today. My kids are 5 and 7. They are glad to go but their reaction won't be on a Disney commercial. Lol.
rance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

So your kids' reaction to something they won't get for a month didn't live up to your expectation....kids live in the "here and now." Something a month away is hard to wrap their heads around. This is even more difficult if this is a first cruise or first trip to WDW since they have not idea what to expect.

I don't know what the arrival process is in Galveston, but in PC sometimes the real excitement starts as you go over the bridge and see the ship. The fact that they weren't thrilled with the anticipation of getting a gift a month from now may well be replaced with the thrill of seeing and being on the ship.

It sounds like they had a great day with their "now" gifts.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

We haven't taken our first cruise yet, but I had found an amazing price on one about 2 years ago. DH was not convinced but willing to consider it. I showed the kids the DCL video and they were like - eh.

Well, DH said , "if after watching that 3o minute commercial you get that reaction than forget it."

They came to me 2 weeks later and asked if they could change their minds- Um no- that price was gone! It just took a while to sink in.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

Sorry the surprise didn't go as planned. I have never been able to keep one of our trips a surprise. Usually I start off thinking I'm going surprise the kids, and end up telling them 2 days after I book! If I ever succeeded in surprising them, I would probably be a little bummed if at least 2 out of 3 weren't excited (DS is a very mellow kid, so while I think he'd be happy, I wouldn't expect him to show it outwardly). I am sure they will be super excited by the time the cruise comes around! Enjoy your vacation!!

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
erinsmom03
Mouseketeer

Loved your goodies, they are great!!!! Your boys will be excited when they understand more what is coming, and I am sure your family will have a great time on your cruise!

WDW offsite 1978 RCCL 1996 RCCL 1997 WDW offsite 1998 RCCL 1999
Poly 2008 Poly 2009 FQ/BC 2011 Poly/Fantasy Western Caribbean 2013
Cabana Bay/Universal/Magic Bahamas 2014

erinsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: