Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
tariqsmom
Mouseketeer

Akl or wl

I am planning our fourth trip to Disney World !We have stayed at CSR, AKL, and off site. We have a wonderful time at AKL and my DH AND DS are sold on staying there again but I wanted to try another deluxe resort. I thought about WL. I am torn I loved AKL but want to change it up. Please help me decide!

CSR-2013
AKL- 2011
AKL-2009
CSR- 2007
tariqsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
disneydreamkate
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at AKL and love it. We enjoy all of the restaurants, the zero entry pool, the animals, the beautiful theme,and the overall vibe of the resort. We have never stayed at WL. We have, however, visited the resort, where we ate at Artist Point and had a drink at Territory Lounge. The resort was impressive and you have the option of the boat ride to MK and Fort Wilderness. From what we saw, it was similar to AKL. My DH would really love to stay there.
01/2011 AKL
10/2011 POFQ 1st F&W Festival!
01/2013 AKL
02/2014 POR & AKL PHM!
12/2014 BC
disneydreamkate is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
conan979
Earning My Ears

I'd go with Wilderness Lodge. They just completed an overhaul of all rooms, bathrroms, hallways, carpets, everything and it looks so fresh and new. Our two fav resorts are AKL and WL, both designed by the same architect so you'll see similarities between them. Hands down the AKL pools are better but the boat ride directly from WL to MK can't be beat. WL for sure.
conan979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at both, we think they are both awesome resorts. Since you've already stayed at AKL, I'd give WL a try. It's great being in close proximity to MK and it's convenient being just a boat ride away from the CR where you can shop and dine there and then hop on the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. Since the same architect designed both of them, they are pretty much the same resort with the exception of theme/decor. Good luck deciding, although I don't think you would regret staying at the WL.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Montegut
Mouseketeer

Love Wilderness Lodge

We stayed at the Contemporary, and had dinner at Artist Point one night. I absolutely loved it. Nothing feels like being in Florida more than a boat ride, and many times, we took the boat from Magic Kingdom to Wilderness Lodge then the boat to Contemporary. Artist Point was the best meal, absolute best service, and we loved the look of the pool area. Did not get to explore the inside of the hotel, but saw the entrance many times during bus stops from Contemporary to parks. Looked like very helpful staff and nice surroundings outside. It's a resort I'd like to go to without even visiting the parks. I do love Animal Kingdom and hoping for a stay there on a return trip with my son, but would like to perhaps do a split stay between AKL and WL so we can be closer to MK for part of the stay. Enjoy your trip!
Montegut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
tariqsmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks to you all! From what I gather it seems that I can't go wrong choosing either. After talking with my DH and DS....WL here we come!!!!!

CSR-2013
AKL- 2011
AKL-2009
CSR- 2007
tariqsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqsmom View Post
I am planning our fourth trip to Disney World !We have stayed at CSR, AKL, and off site. We have a wonderful time at AKL and my DH AND DS are sold on staying there again but I wanted to try another deluxe resort. I thought about WL. I am torn I loved AKL but want to change it up. Please help me decide!
I have stayed at both AKL and WL. I like AKL very much, but there are some aspects of WL that are superior in my opinion. AKL is a huge resort while WL is much smaller and more compact. Everything is pretty much under one roof and convenient to all the rooms. Also, generally speaking, WL is less expensive if you compare the cost of most rooms with a savanna view room. While transportation is good at both, I did not like the fact that Kadani was picked up first on most runs. WL shares with other resorts, but currently is the first stop on all, meaning you can get a seat. The boats are a very fun and quick way to get to MK, Fort Wilderness and CR. The boat drops off right in front of the entrance to MK so cuts walking. In addition, as of the last time I stayed, return bus stops are usually one of the first so no walking way down an isle to get to your bus stop. That may not be an issue with you, but for those of us with mobility issues, it makes a difference.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Both are great resorts, but I think it's fun to try new resorts, so I'd go with WL. It's also closer to the action. A short boat ride away from MK. And close to the other MK resorts for dining options. They have a resort boat that loops around from WL, FW & CR. I found this very handy for dining, since Poly has 2 of my fav restaurants, and we also like GF Cafe.
There's also a nice walking path to FW. Or rent bikes to explore. We also enjoy watching the Electric Water Parade from the WL beach.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: