Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
LovetheMouse12302
Mouseketeer

Looking for some advice on MK resorts

We are still debating on where to stay during our 2013 vacation. We are going to book next week, so we want to make our decision this weekend. Our travel party will be DH, me, DS 6, and DD 1.
We have narrowed down the resort choices to the 3 monorail resorts or possibly Wilderness Lodge. The only MK resort we haven't tried is the Polynesian. We enjoyed our stay at the other resorts, so it's making the decision tough!!!

Also, we are debating on the dates. DH wants to travel over Labor Day week and I want to travel the first full week in May. We have done both May and September before (although later in both months). I do not like September heat and we agreed we would only do the parks for half of the day but we would stay almost twice as long during the entire vacation. How are the crowds May vs September?
Saratoga Springs- May 2010
Coronado Springs- February 2011
Kidani Village- February 2011, September 2011
Grand Floridian- September 2011
Boardwalk Villas- September 2011
Polynesian- May 2013
Pop Century- May 2013
LovetheMouse12302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Crowds in September are significantly lower than in May.

I don't find the weather any better/worse in September than May, however there is the risk of a tropical storm in September.
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

For MK resorts, we have stayed at the GF, Poly, and WL. We have had great stays at all of them, but the Poly is our favorite. We love the tropical atmosphere, the pool, Captain Cooks, and having the beach for watching the fireworks. If you want to try something new, I think the Poly is a great choice. As far as crowds, I didn't see much difference between May and September, but everyone has differing opinions on what is busy and what is not. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Goofy4
DIS Veteran

I would go with early May and the Poly.

In early May you can still get a low humidity day. Not so much in September.

The crowds in early May should not be bad unless you run into grad nights or special parties that shorten hours.
  • 00's ASsp (Nov '01), OKW (Aug '03), BWV (Oct '05), Pop (May '06), ASmu (April '08), Cabins/Kidani(June '09) Trip Report
  • 10's WL (April '10), SSR (Jan '12)
Goofy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
alldiz
DIS Veteran

I would go with May.....crowds are lower in Sept because of school starting....but it will probably be hotter and risk of hurricane storms.

My choice is the Wilderness Lodge. I love being away from the hustle and bustle of the parks when I go back to my "home". Wonderful theming....and I love the boat ride to MK. Also gives me more options....WDW is about the journey for me....so I can take a boat to the Contemporary if I want to take the monorail. More choices and peace and serenity at the end of the day.
Happy planning

Side note....I haven't stayed at the Poly and while I have always wanted to at the end of the day I can't see paying the prices for room that does not guarantee a balcony AND it always seems very busy and noisy there.
Kerri
1978-offsite 1st visit, 1982, 1992 offsite, May 2006- 1st family trip Wilderness Lodge, Nov 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Jan 07- POFQ and POP, May 2007- SSR 1st DVC trip Aug 2007- YC, BCV...and POFQ free diningApril 2008-BWV,and OKW Oct 2008-BWV and WLV 1st trip "home", Nov/Dec 2009- WLV and DCL April 2011- BCV, Carnival Cruise,AKV(Kidani), BLT.... Aug/Sept 2011-OKW, and BWVMarch/April 2013-SSR May 2013-BWV and BCV June/July 2013-Carnival Cruise and WLV Dec/Jan 2013/14 -AKV Jambo, Carnival Cruise, WLV
alldiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Early May is a gorgeous time at Disney and if you follow the crowd calendars, you can see which will work out best for your family.

The crowds 'can' be significantly less in September but if a free dining offer or something similar draws the crowds then I think it's almost more like an even draw.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Pig Pen
To all who have come to this happy place...welcome.

September is hot, humid, with daily downpours. However the crowds are fairly low and if you hit the parks early in the day you can return to the resort to wait out the afternoon storms.

The first week of May has manageable crowds and the weather is usually dry. It can feel very hot though as there are less clouds and the sun beats down all day long. I think the crowds build later in the month and the rainy season will be starting.

WL is our favorite resort. We love the lobby, the music, the fake cricket chirping, the fake flames in the lanterns, the hidden trails, the EWP, everything. We have never stayed at GF nor Poly although DH would like to try them sometime.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
monami7
DIS Veteran

The last 2 years we went in May and they broke heat records BOTH YEARS! the woman in front of us passed out in line to see tink 2 yrs ago. It is not supposed to be that hot but it was unbearable.
Notice this next trip is in 3 weeks. I dont mind heat usually, but my DH and my parents cant take another hot trip!
Sept can be very hot too but all 4 of our sept trips were cooler than those last 2 may trips!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Crowds are lower in September but over Labor Day weekend, I think it would be pretty comparable to May. In addition to the September heat, you also have to contend with rain/possible hurricanes, refurbishments, and shorter park hours. I have been early May before and found the crowds tolerable and the weather was beautiful.

As for the resorts, I'm not sure when the construction at GF is supposed to end but that would be a factor in my decision. I'd probably pick Poly since you haven't tried it before. We stayed there several years ago and enjoyed it, and its nice to be able to walk to TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. Bonus, IMO.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Stbissell
Mouseketeer

We went over Labor Day two years ago and it was great. Very light crowds and FD. Only needed fast passes for a few rides. TSM, Soarin, Peter Pan. All of the mountains were walk on. The crowds were very low through Labor Day. The day after Labor Day the whole Disney Resort completely cleared out. Everyone kept asking if we were CMs.
Stbissell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: