DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

Small Add on Points Through Disney

Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone has purchased small add ons through Disney? We started with the bare minimum of 100 points at BLT and we would like to add more points. While we'd rather be at BWV, we don't want to buy a resale contract of 150 - 200 points. Has anyone just added 25 - 50 points on through Disney? Was your experience good? Did you have second thoughts about not going resale? Do you keep the same use year?

Thanks all!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
drusba

DIS Veteran

Despite knowledge of the resale market, it is common for owners who are adding on a small number of points to go through Disney because finding a small add-on at their own resort with same use year in the resale market can be difficult even if you wait list with a broker. In fact, members here have reported buying from Disney after striking out in the resale market. Nevertheless, you might want to look into the resale market first, and even possibly wait list for a little while, to see if you can get lucky. The process is easy. You just call and do it and then you get the contracts to sign and return them; points become usable right after you buy them not the later closing date. When buying a small add-on Disney will sell you only points that have the same use year as the one you already have. Minimum purchase is 25 points, you can buy any number above that, but you need to buy at least 50 if you want to finance.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Yep..all my contracts are small. I have 2 65 point contracts and 2 50 point contracts and am on the waiting list for 65 more, all at VGC. (I bought a small OKW resale years ago to get into the system and enable me to buy my initial contract smaller than the then 160 point minimum. I then sold my OKW points, so all my current points are direct add ons) Super easy except all that signing by the plam tree business.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

Hey everyone! \

Thanks for your great responses! I have a small add on question if anyone is still reading this -

I see a lot of resale contracts for BLT for 50 points with a use year of September. Currently I have a use year of August (and have been looking for small August contracts but see none). How annonying is it to have an Aug and Sept use year?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbutterfly View Post
Thanks for your great responses! I have a small add on question if anyone is still reading this -

I see a lot of resale contracts for BLT for 50 points with a use year of September. Currently I have a use year of August (and have been looking for small August contracts but see none). How annonying is it to have an Aug and Sept use year?
it means you wouldn't have an "add-on", you'd have 2 separate contracts.

i believe you'd be able to view both together on the website but if you would not be able to combine pts from both contracts to book one reservation without transferring the pts first. you would have to book 3 nights with one contract and 4 nights with the other and then ask MS to link the reservations if possible.

it's do-able if you stay organized, but it's much easier to manage if your contracts have the same UY.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
CarolynMink
Mouseketeer

We originally bought in though Disney in 2005 at SSR. We did not know about resale. Shortly after, we wanted to add on a small contract at VWL. I looked at resale but at the time ,closing cost differences made direct purchase more appealing. We added 60 pts and have been very happy.

Recently, we stayed a BCV for the first time and my family fell in love. (I have teenagers.) I did a direct purchase of just 25 pts at BCV. (That is what I could afford at the time.) The add on was way to small to have the booking advantage. I added quickly added another 100 at BCV through resale. My resale contract has a different use year. I really wish I had just added on a larger resale contract. So, make sure your purchase is the right size for your vacation needs.

I was able to navigate the booking window and get what I wanted. With different contracts, I needed member service to link the reservations together.

I have years of DVC experience. I know I will be able to manage the contracts, however there are a lot of rules to consider.
adding pts BLT;10/13 BCV, 6/13 BCV & BLT,1/13 AKV, 6/12 THV & AKV; 2012 added pts BCV x2; BCV 8/11, AKV, DCL & VWL 8/09, AKV & BWV 1/09, OKW,VWL,SSR; 2/08 add pts VWL; SSR 12/06, ASMo; 12/05 *joined DVC - SSR; Dolphin 3/01, FW cabin 5/00, OKW 5/98, Disneyland 6/96,off property WDW '90, '87, & '81
CarolynMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
ldo
DIS Veteran

we bought direct from DVC a HHI oct uy already having a VWL sept uy. There were no Sept UY for HHI points and there was a waiting list since the prior year. We wanted to book at 11 mths. We were discouraged from doing so--but our guide said he does have some clients who do so.
If you are in the 7 mth period, you can't combine points to make a reservation---so if you are booking 5 days in a studio at 20 points per night and you need to use both sets of points, the 1st and 2nd night would be 40 points from BWV and the other nights would be from BLT--as a separate reservation---of course, they can link them. Also, you can get orphan points that you don't use and can't combine with the other points.
However, you can have 1 transfer each year--you can transfer points from one UY to the other and then combine them all at 7 mths--but that uses up your 1 transfer.
In the end, it was worth it to us--but most people prefer the same UY.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

We bought a 200 point contract at OKW through resale with a June UY in 2006. We added on at HH last year...bought 75 points with an Aug UY through resale again. We intend to add on to our HH contract another 25 points or more. I will buy direct through Disney and almost did so last night. I could have put it on my Disney CC and the points would have been showing on my membership today for me to use. They also give all 2012 points, but I would only pay prorated dues for 2012 which wouldn't be much (just a couple weeks worth). She said that closing costs were like $30. Now, that I'm typing this up...I wish I had done it.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
maburke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone has purchased small add ons through Disney? We started with the bare minimum of 100 points at BLT and we would like to add more points. While we'd rather be at BWV, we don't want to buy a resale contract of 150 - 200 points. Has anyone just added 25 - 50 points on through Disney? Was your experience good? Did you have second thoughts about not going resale? Do you keep the same use year?

Thanks all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
Nevertheless, you might want to look into the resale market first, and even possibly wait list for a little while, to see if you can get lucky.
A piece of advice: If you are looking on the resale market, you might not want to waitlist with Disney at the same time. They might just ROFR your resale to take the points and offer them to you off the waitlist (for a much higher price!)

1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maburke View Post
A piece of advice: If you are looking on the resale market, you might not want to waitlist with Disney at the same time. They might just ROFR your resale to take the points and offer them to you off the waitlist (for a much higher price!)
We went on a waitlist for direct but this-rofr- did not happen. Disney waived rofr on a resale within 10 days from the time we submitted offer. We took the chance, either way wanted the points so it worked out well and very quickly.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
twinmom108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
The process is easy. You just call and do it and then you get the contracts to sign and return them; points become usable right after you buy them not the later closing date. When buying a small add-on Disney will sell you only points that have the same use year as the one you already have. Minimum purchase is 25 points, you can buy any number above that, but you need to buy at least 50 if you want to finance.
We actually bought a BWV 50 points direct from Disney that closed earlier this month. We were not required for it to be the same use year as we have for our AKV (direct) & VWL (resale) contracts which is December. Our guide did ask me the reasons we wanted a different UY on this contract. She was satisfied & allowed us to choose which UY month we wanted. We chose June because that works better for us, but it is a completely separate contract with a different DVC member #.

WE bought the BWV direct because of the lack of resale availability for small BWV contracts , was able to choose a better UY & was delighted to make a ressie for 2013 Food & Wine right away - long before closing.

Yes it was more expensive, but the benefits to us far outweighed the non'existent resale prospects.

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
twinmom108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
jeffjs
Earning My Ears

It's a good idea!

If you buy resale and small add-ons through Disney, you get a FULL membership, and you don't have the resale restrictions they have now. You can call your sales rep...we've had ours forever! He can even tell you if they have any foreclosures (which they do sometimes) and they are happy to find owners for these, like getting a dog adopted from a rescue agency! You can get some good deals and you can negotiate and not have to pay AK, AUL, SS prices.

If you want to have all your points at the same time, get a same use year contract as you have now, for the same resort and they can combine those 2 contracts into one. Otherwise you have multiple use years and different size contracts like I have and it can be confusing, but DVC can transfer points from one contract to another for a reservation that is more than the points you have on a particular contract.
jeffjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjs View Post
If you buy resale and small add-ons through Disney, you get a FULL membership, and you don't have the resale restrictions they have now. You can call your sales rep...we've had ours forever! He can even tell you if they have any foreclosures (which they do sometimes) and they are happy to find owners for these, like getting a dog adopted from a rescue agency! You can get some good deals and you can negotiate and not have to pay AK, AUL, SS prices.
as is posted elsewhere, this is simply not true. the resale purchase remains restricted even if the direct add-ons are not.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
tjcat
DIS Veteran

We originally bought 150 resale points to SSR, because we didn't want a 200 point contract, we were lucky that a 50 point SSR contract came through with the same use year and although we had to pay another $400 in closing costs it was still much less than buying direct from Disney, saved $2000 ($2400- 400 in closing costs). JMTC
tjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Hello All!

Thanks all!
We have added points direct and it's extremely easy. They will title it exactly the same as your master contract and it will be the same UY. Even if it's a different resort.

Sometimes buying small contracts direct makes sense.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: