Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

What food for the full marathon?

Food that you take with you...lots of gu? Beans? On a half I saw a woman with a baggie that was clothespeged to her pants that contained a peanut butter sandwich. One woman told me she carries chicken legs with her.

What do most of you do for food for a full? I know I can't do the 26.2 miles with just jellybeans and gu.

I think it will take me between 5.5 and 6 hours to complete...no records here.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

This will be my first full, but I am just taking what I have been training with -
Clif shot blocks and Gu chomps, with diluted Gatorade on my fuel belt (full strength is too much). I will probably eat a banana at one of the food stops as well, but that's it. I just can't stomach too much when I'm running! Everybody is different though. All I can suggest to you is to practice what you are going to eat during the race before race day!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
BigEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
matilda
Earning My Ears

I take sports beans for the first 10 miles then I eat pretzels and animal crackers for rest of the race. Everyone is different and this is what works for me and I have trained with. I could not do a full without them. I eat a small bit every 40mins to keep from hitting my wall.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Race day nutrition:

-two pieces of toast with PB&J and a large cup of coffee about 2 hours before race start
-30 minutes before race: 1 large banana and one 200mg caffeine pill
-one gel (about 100 calories & 25 carbs) every 45 minutes during the race, possibly an occasional sip of on course electrolyte drink
-If the temps are above 80, I will have one 215mg (sodium) Salt Stick tab an hour starting at hour 1

The keys to any successful nutrition plan is that it's simple, precise and 100% flexible and you have the ability to completely scratch it on race day and go with something else if it isn't working. If you make it too complicated and you have no flexibility, you have no plan B and for alot of people your race will be determined not by what happens to you, but how you react to it. Leave yourself some options.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
yellowjacket22
Earning My Ears

I eat a couple of cinammon Poptarts a couple of hours before the race. I like to carry a couple of packs of regular gummies...Disney gummies usually in honor of the location. I also take some gels and eat fruit and candy they provide on the course. I can't handle caffeine, so I skip anything with that in it if possible.
yellowjacket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

I have taken a half PButter sandwich, Fig Newtons, PButter crackers in the snack bag size. I always have Gu. Not sure for what I will take January.
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Actually, you can go a long distance on gels. You do not indicate what your pre-run fuel strategy is but if you are not fueling with a carby meal a couple hours pre-run, you are starting with a slight deficient.

Look for alternatives that are sport oriented rather than candy. Yes, candy will work, but the sport oriented fuel carries in an electrolytic component that a gummie bear fails to carry. Not saying candy will not work, just saying there is better.

If solid food is your preference, then the PBJ works. So will dates, bananas and other fruits.

WIth regard to gels, try bringing 2-3 flavors you know work and put them in a fanny pack all mixed up. Then on the run, pull them out without looking at the flavor drawn. The random selection will help keep the taste buds from dreading the next gel.

Just beware that any fueling changes you think you want to make need to be proofed in a training run. What sounds great idled may fail on the run due to smell, taste, texture or content.

Just for the record, I have a breakfast about 2:15 for the Disney races that contains a bagel with a spread, a handful of mixed nuts, a glass of OJ and 2 cups of coffee. In the last hour pre-race, I will sip a bottle of sport drink with a banana. In the corral, I will consume a gel jut before the gun and then one every 40-50 minutes on the run.

Chicken Legs????
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
disneyjanet
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Chicken Legs????
I was talking to someone once who was thinking of simultaneously starting a low carb diet and traing for a 1/2 marathon. I attempted to convince him otherwise but he wasn't getting my point about fuel for running. Perhaps chicken legs would be perfect running food for him.

OP I have been using GU chomps during my training runs and like them much better than the gels. I also hydrate with water. I run/walk so I find it easy to take a chomp or 2 every 2nd or 3rd walk interval. It says on the package that they're good for 1 1/2 - 2 hours of activity per package so I space them out so a package last that long. I find I like how I feel better with a small amount taken more frequently.

I also had a question if anyone knows if the powerade they use in the race is like the bottled stuff with high fructose corn syrup or the powdered stuff with the sucrose/dextrose?
disneyjanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjanet View Post
I was talking to someone once who was thinking of simultaneously starting a low carb diet and traing for a 1/2 marathon. I attempted to convince him otherwise but he wasn't getting my point about fuel for running. Perhaps chicken legs would be perfect running food for him.

OP I have been using GU chomps during my training runs and like them much better than the gels. I also hydrate with water. I run/walk so I find it easy to take a chomp or 2 every 2nd or 3rd walk interval. It says on the package that they're good for 1 1/2 - 2 hours of activity per package so I space them out so a package last that long. I find I like how I feel better with a small amount taken more frequently.

I also had a question if anyone knows if the powerade they use in the race is like the bottled stuff with high fructose corn syrup or the powdered stuff with the sucrose/dextrose?

Powdered, thankfully.

Note that it is mixed about half strength at the aid stations.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
lmb80129
Mouseketeer

I'm taking sports beans and Cliff MOJO bars. I like the peanut butter pretzel and chocolate almond coconut MOJO bars.
lmb80129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
NYUBwayBaby
Mouseketeer

I know I'm bringing beans. I have issues with textures so gels and bananas are a no go for me. I may bring, like, a granola bar or something else, as well. Maybe a peanut butter sandwich. I still need to finalize everything.
I'm also not pleased with the lemon-lime powerade choice, but I'll make do with it. I think it is bottled, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
My mom wants to somehow tie a bagel to herself. I'm not entirely sure how well that will work.
NYUBwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

I'll be bringing either chomps, Gu or beans - I've trained with all, so it will really come down to what "feels" right when I am packing. I tend to store them in my hat - not sure why, but it works, so long as I keep that in mind and don't randomly keep taking my hat off during the race.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
runner_princess
Mouseketeer

On race day morning I eat:
- Protien bar (Musclebrownie brand) 3 hours before race start with 8 oz skim milk
- 2 cups of coffee with Splenda, 2 hours before race start
- sugary snack, typically a couple of cookies, and other cup of coffee, right before race start

During race:
I start our carrying a small size gatorade, which I usually drink between miles 1 and 5. I then drink the gatorade/poweraid at every aid station. I also will eat any fruit offered on the course, but no gels/packaged products for me.

For a half, I alternate the gatorade/powerade with water every other aid station.
2010 Wine and Dine Half: 2:56
2011 Princess Half: 2:40 2012 Princess Half, 2:38
runner_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
DisneyRunnerGirl
If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's because I'm tying my running shoes.

I carry a variety of items in my fuel belt pouches: GU chomps, mini pretzels, m&m's and homemade granola bars. Too much sugar can upset my stomach so by alternating the sweet items with the pretzels keeps my tummy happy. The variety is important to me since I am pretty slow and will take around 6 hours to finish.

I especially like the homemade granola bars since I can put in whatever I like. Since it is "glued" together with honey, I get a nice energy boost from pieces I break off as I want them.

I have been testing all of these things on my runs and think I have hit the combo that works for me. As Coach Charles says" your mileage may vary" so make sure you do your own testing on long runs with whatever appeals to you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

I can't do the Honey Stingers... They taste so good and are easy to eat but make me sick to my stomach. My DS suggested the waffles and those I can do and taste good too. Easier to eat than a powerbar or granola bar.

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: