Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
mmouse50
DIS Veteran

Southwest Early Bird and MCO

I just flew home yesterday and had purchased EBCI for the return trip - I ended up with A54-A56. Since I was so close to the end of the A's and they were boarding the families (and there were a lot of them) between A and B would I have had any recourse if I had done early bird and received a B and still had to board after all the families that I am assuming hadn't done early bird?
mmouse50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse50 View Post
I just flew home yesterday and had purchased EBCI for the return trip - I ended up with A54-A56. Since I was so close to the end of the A's and they were boarding the families (and there were a lot of them) between A and B would I have had any recourse if I had done early bird and received a B and still had to board after all the families that I am assuming hadn't done early bird?
No, there is no guarantee of an A with early bird. You were still ahead of the position you would have got if you didn't do early bird.
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
mmouse50
DIS Veteran

yes - I am aware of that but if I have close to 15 or more complete families in front of me - why did I pay for early bird? I realize it is only 10.00 dollars but they didn't have to pay anything to get a better seat than me.
mmouse50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
yes - I am aware of that but if I have close to 15 or more complete families in front of me - why did I pay for early bird? I realize it is only 10.00 dollars but they didn't have to pay anything to get a better seat than me.
It's the chance you take.

Yes, you can complain to SW, but since there's no guarantee of EBCI getting you a specific boarding position, they don't have to do anything.

ETA: 15 "complete families" would be 60 people (15x4)... that's nearly half the plane.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
As was said, you are not guaranteed an A boarding pass. You are simply checked in ahead of time. You take that into account when you decide to pay the extra money for Early Bird. If you don't want to risk paying and getting a B, then don't pay. However, it IS possible.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

'If' there were to be 15 families wanting to board between the A and B groups, the gate agents would most likely suspend family boarding.
Paying for EBCI does not get you an A group boarding spot. It gets you checked in prior to the passengers checking in at the 24 hr window. Now, if you have paid for EBCI, and there are a ton of people boarding in between the two groups? Yes, you might be able to say something.
With SW now raising the price of EBCI, we may see fewer people buying it. I buy it only when I won't be near a computer at the 24 hr window...and that's usually just for my return flight.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Don't families board first regardless of their boarding position? In other words, if you received A54, its not because the families had A1-54. Wouldn't it go families, then A1-15(business select) and then 16 on? Also, EBCI is (supposedly) completed in order by which it was purchased. If you bought it with your tickets last summer, you'll likely be in the lower A numbers. If you added it last week, you'd be at the end.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
What sort of recourse would you expect? You paid to be checked in at 36 hrs and they did that. You got what you paid for so what else would you expect them to offer? EBCI doesn't promise a great seat or A boarding, just a check in at 36 hrs.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you get a B, they still let the families board before you, even if you paid for Early Bird.

Early Bird is not a guarantee of an A pass and should not be expected to work as such. All it does is get you an automatic check-in so you don't have to do it yourself. It's not there to help you get a better seat, it's there so you don't have to do your own check-in.

SWA runs their boarding the same way in all airports, they don't make concessions for Orlando flights even though they tend to have more families with little kids. about the only thing I've seen them do when they have a huge family boarding line is restrict the family boarding to the eligible child and one adult (in essence, ensuring the kid will sit with a parent or other adult, but not allowing the entire family to board with one eligible child.)
Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink
Actually, it sort of does more than get you checked in at the 36 hr window....
What is EarlyBird Check-In?
EarlyBird Check-InSM is a low-cost option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in. You’ll have the benefit of an early assigned boarding position, allowing you to board earlier. As an EarlyBird Check-In Customer, you will have a better opportunity to select your preferred seat and have earlier access to overhead bin storage for your carryon luggage. This affordable option automatically reserves for you the next best boarding position then available.

So, SW tells you that your EBCI payment is getting you an earlier boarding spot.
That's not all that different than what I said. All of the people who bought EBCI did get all of this whether or not they allow families, handicapped people or A-listers to "cut" in line. Without EBCI they might have been C instead of B (and had even less overhead bin room left). So many people get angry with family boarding but you never hear the BS and A-listers complaining about pre-boarders who don't have to pay the BS fare or buy EBCI to get on first. At least I don't hear it. But for some reason people want to think EBCI is some kind of magic golden ticket.

Quote:
In all reality, EBCI has created a monster.
Could not agree more!

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
DCbride
DIS Veteran

Last time we flew DD had just turned 5. Since SW policy says preboarding is for 4 and under we got in line with the B group. A mom dad and 2 preteens got in the family line and they went right in. It was so frustrating!

Disney Trips with the kids 1993 Poly 1995 BC 1996 Dixie Landings 1998 BC 2001 SoG 2004 SoG 2006 Dolphin 2008 Magic Villa 3, Mickey's Clubhouse 2009 CSR in March, April, Aug. Sept & Nov 2010 CSR, WL & WL CL, SoG 2011 SoG, CSR, SoG, Mariott, Kidani 2012 Marriott, BC, WLV/AoA 2013 Marriott, AoA, AoA 2014 Pop, Omni, BC, Bay Lake
DCbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
stormer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCbride View Post
Last time we flew DD had just turned 5. Since SW policy says preboarding is for 4 and under we got in line with the B group. A mom dad and 2 preteens got in the family line and they went right in. It was so frustrating!
I have seen this so many times. I think enforcing the rules would help alleviate most of the problems.
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Oh-oh.....after reading this thread, i am getting all panicky!!!! We are flying SW in a few weeks for the 1st time.....how the heck do we manage this whole crazy boarding process. We have 7 seats - all wanna get away fares - yes we bought a ticket for the 2 month old. 2 strollers to be gate checked as well as using 2 car seats on the flight itself. See sig for ages of our kids. Am i understanding this correctly - that we may not all be able to board together?? They would not seriously expect us to have our 6/9/11 year olds stand there without us? Or that we wouldn't be sitting together on board???

Ok SW experts - help a newbie out here. What should our plan be?? We are doing Buffalo-MCO and then the return 2 weeks later.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
Oh-oh.....after reading this thread, i am getting all panicky!!!! We are flying SW in a few weeks for the 1st time.....how the heck do we manage this whole crazy boarding process. We have 7 seats - all wanna get away fares - yes we bought a ticket for the 2 month old. 2 strollers to be gate checked as well as using 2 car seats on the flight itself. See sig for ages of our kids. Am i understanding this correctly - that we may not all be able to board together?? They would not seriously expect us to have our 6/9/11 year olds stand there without us? Or that we wouldn't be sitting together on board???

Ok SW experts - help a newbie out here. What should our plan be?? We are doing Buffalo-MCO and then the return 2 weeks later.
I'm not a SW expert, but...

1) Check with SW and make sure all the tickets are linked on one reservation.
2) Sign up for EBCI for everyone. That will be $87.50 each direction (that's assuming the new rate of $12.50/passenger).
3) Sometime after 24 hours from departure, print your boarding pass. It will show your boarding assignment.
3A) *IF* the numbers are not sequential, when you get to the airport, you can let the people separating you go ahead of you in line.
3B) *IF* you happen to get 'B' boarding numbers, check with the gate agent and see if family boarding is available. If so, one adult goes on with the two year old and the car seats during family boarding.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Thanks sam_gordon.

So frustrating to have to shell out another $175 just to be able to sit WITH my kids! Seems ridiculous to me.....if they were teenagers, ok no prob i get it; but they are young kids

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: