Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
DawnM
Dawn

Small dslr or other recommendations????

I really do enjoy taking pictures, but I find that i end up taking my P&S far more often than my DSLR because my DSLR is a huge beast. I have the Canon 40d and I am realizing that it is just not fitting my needs. When I go to a party or event it is fine because I don't have to lug it around, but for most things I really just want a camera that is easy to carry and take quality pictures.

I want to have a camera with me often to take pictures of the kids, etc...something I could stick in a smaller purse type bag.

I DO want the customization of a DSLR. I want to control the settings and take better pictures than a little P&S.

So, I guess I have a couple of questions.

1. In light of the above, would you just sell the large camera or would you keep it for occasional use?

2. What small camera would you recommend? I really want one that can shoot video and take quality still pictures. I am trying to decide if I need interchangeable lenses or not.

I was looking at the Canon G series as an option but wondered if one of the smaller new DSLRs would be a better choice? Something like the Nikon 1?

Other recommendations? I am just beginning my search and plan to spend some time looking, but really don't know where to start.

Thanks,

Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
I really do enjoy taking pictures, but I find that i end up taking my P&S far more often than my DSLR because my DSLR is a huge beast. I have the Canon 40d and I am realizing that it is just not fitting my needs. When I go to a party or event it is fine because I don't have to lug it around, but for most things I really just want a camera that is easy to carry and take quality pictures.

I want to have a camera with me often to take pictures of the kids, etc...something I could stick in a smaller purse type bag.

I DO want the customization of a DSLR. I want to control the settings and take better pictures than a little P&S.

1. In light of the above, would you just sell the large camera or would you keep it for occasional use?

2. What small camera would you recommend? I really want one that can shoot video and take quality still pictures. I am trying to decide if I need interchangeable lenses or not.

I was looking at the Canon G series as an option but wondered if one of the smaller new DSLRs would be a better choice? Something like the Nikon 1?

Other recommendations? I am just beginning my search and plan to spend some time looking, but really don't know where to start.

Thanks,

Dawn
If you are used to a dSLR then a P&S may disappoint. Image quality may not be an issue as some P&S (like Sony's RX100) are getting close to APS-C image quality. It is the handling that I missed, the viewfinder, the controls, and yes the interchangeable (and fast) lenses. For these features a mirrorless camera may be what you want.

Micro 4/3 or Sony NEX are the best of this type. Nikon's 1 series has too small of a sensor and Canon's M has too few lenses (EF and EF-S with an adapter don't count because they go against why we got a smaller camera in the first place). Look at Panasonic's G3/5, Olympus EM-5, or Sony Nex-7 for the ones with a built in viewfinder.

After switching from Canon EOS to Micro 4/3 I kept the larger camera for it's (slightly) better image quality but find I rarely use it and have started to sell some lenses.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
DawnM
Dawn

Thank you. This is the info I am looking for. No, I don't want a P&S. Is that what the Nikon is?

I just spent a little time looking at the NEX. Who makes the Micro 4/3?

THanks,

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
If you are used to a dSLR then a P&S may disappoint. Image quality may not be an issue as some P&S (like Sony's RX100) are getting close to APS-C image quality. It is the handling that I missed, the viewfinder, the controls, and yes the interchangeable (and fast) lenses. For these features a mirrorless camera may be what you want.

Micro 4/3 or Sony NEX are the best of this type. Nikon's 1 series has too small of a sensor and Canon's M has too few lenses (EF and EF-S with an adapter don't count because they go against why we got a smaller camera in the first place). Look at Panasonic's G3/5, Olympus EM-5, or Sony Nex-7 for the ones with a built in viewfinder.

After switching from Canon EOS to Micro 4/3 I kept the larger camera for it's (slightly) better image quality but find I rarely use it and have started to sell some lenses.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Do yourself a favor and look at the rx100. I had the same issue as you.
The rx100 has all the customization of a high level dSLR.
The downside is that you can't change lenses. But if you were only going to stick to a kit lens anyway, then the rx100 can give you better quality than the Nex or micro 4/3rds.

And the big advantage: While something like the Nex is smaller than a dSLR, it's still not truly small. Won't fit in your pocket. The rx100 produces near dSLR quality photo and video, with all the advanced controls of a dSLR, while fitting in your pocket.

I've seen a lot if comparisons between the Nikon 1 and the rx100, as they both use the same sensor. The rx100 has more advanced dSLR-like controls, a better lens, and higher image quality. The Nikon has a slightly better focusing system.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Dawn,

Micro 4:3, or M4:3, is a sensor size reference - larger than P&S or the Nikon 1/Sony RX100, but a bit smaller than the Sony NEX or Samsung NX. They are made by either Panasonic or Olympus - Panasonic models usually start with G or GH, and Olympus models are usually called 'Pen'. They are similar to the Sony NEX in that they have interchangeable lenses on a compact mirrorless body. The NEX uses the same APS-C sensor as most DSLRs today, while the M4:3 sensor is just a bit smaller. Both would be significantly larger than any P&S sensor.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
DawnM
Dawn

Ah, got it. Thank you for explaining that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
Dawn,

Micro 4:3, or M4:3, is a sensor size reference - larger than P&S or the Nikon 1/Sony RX100, but a bit smaller than the Sony NEX or Samsung NX. They are made by either Panasonic or Olympus - Panasonic models usually start with G or GH, and Olympus models are usually called 'Pen'. They are similar to the Sony NEX in that they have interchangeable lenses on a compact mirrorless body. The NEX uses the same APS-C sensor as most DSLRs today, while the M4:3 sensor is just a bit smaller. Both would be significantly larger than any P&S sensor.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
DawnM
Dawn

Thank you all so much. I didn't know there were this many choices out there. I am plugging in the options and looking at choices/ideas.

Looks like the price range is between $450-$850 or so without additional accessories.

Any suggestions as to what B&M store might carry several of these to check them out? I haven't bought a new camera since Wolf Camera was still around.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
DawnM
Dawn

Thank you. I am taking a look.

One thing I don't see on this is a place to add a flash. Do you ever wish you had the capability to add a flash?

I do like the size. I don't necessarily need it small enough to put in my pocket, but that is a nice feature.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Do yourself a favor and look at the rx100. I had the same issue as you.
The rx100 has all the customization of a high level dSLR.
The downside is that you can't change lenses. But if you were only going to stick to a kit lens anyway, then the rx100 can give you better quality than the Nex or micro 4/3rds.

And the big advantage: While something like the Nex is smaller than a dSLR, it's still not truly small. Won't fit in your pocket. The rx100 produces near dSLR quality photo and video, with all the advanced controls of a dSLR, while fitting in your pocket.

I've seen a lot if comparisons between the Nikon 1 and the rx100, as they both use the same sensor. The rx100 has more advanced dSLR-like controls, a better lens, and higher image quality. The Nikon has a slightly better focusing system.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you. I am taking a look.

One thing I don't see on this is a place to add a flash. Do you ever wish you had the capability to add a flash?

I do like the size. I don't necessarily need it small enough to put in my pocket, but that is a nice feature.

Dawn
It has a pop up flash. It's pretty nice actually, as it is a tilt-able flash. You can bounce the flash off the ceiling.

No, I don't feel the need to add an additional external flash. I rarely even use the included flash. The low light ability of the camera, and the fast lens, allow me to shoot without the flash in almost all situations. (I do use the internal flash as a fill flash in day light)
Old 12-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks,

Dawn
along with the other recommendations take a look at the EOS-M mirrorless
http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...oving-upmarket

it uses regular Canon lens and "M" pancake lens
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
MolonLabe
DTOM

Since you mentioned the G series, I love my g11. It takes some amazing shots and is fully customizable.

I also love my new t4i and used it as my primary camera at wdw last month. with a strap like a br or carryspeed like I used, I was able to carry it everyday forma full week. averaging 10 hours a day on my shoulder or in my hands. I also captured about 7k images, lol.

Good luck on your decision, for me, the g11 and t4i do everything I want and more. You mentioned video, the g11 is great for that. The 18-135stm was mybwalk around lens at wdw.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
DawnM
Dawn

Thank you. My friend brought her G10 to the beach a few years back and raved about it.

I don't know if that one takes video or not but she kept telling me that other than the lens changing, it did everything my 40d could do.

At that time I had JUST gotten the 40d and really didn't know what all she was talking about! I just smiled and nodded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
Since you mentioned the G series, I love my g11. It takes some amazing shots and is fully customizable.

I also love my new t4i and used it as my primary camera at wdw last month. with a strap like a br or carryspeed like I used, I was able to carry it everyday forma full week. averaging 10 hours a day on my shoulder or in my hands. I also captured about 7k images, lol.

Good luck on your decision, for me, the g11 and t4i do everything I want and more. You mentioned video, the g11 is great for that. The 18-135stm was mybwalk around lens at wdw.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Nikon1 series. I have the J1, and I know someone with the v1. They've also just added the j2 (not much difference except they went with a plastic body so I believe it's lighter) and v2 (more similar to the standard DSLR with the grip).

I've really enjoyed the j1. Its adjustments are in different locations than the DSLR, so it's a little tricky getting used to. It takes great low light pictures, ISO up to 3200. You can shoot in RAW format. Has a pop-up flash which I rarely find myself using (and avoid it actually). There have been a few situations where I wish I could add an external flash. The V1 and V2 have that ability. The other difference between the j model and v model is that the v had a viewfinder and the j does not. And there are times I wish I had a viewfinder. Looking back, I might should've purchased the v1 instead (but hey - the v only came in black and the j came in all these pretty colors... The v now comes in white which is what I got anyway), but I've thoroughly enjoyed the j1 and am glad I made the purchase.

Another cool feature about these cameras is that you can attach almost all NIKKOR lenses to the body, not just the Nikon1 lenses.

Also, one of its draws is the ability to take HD video and still photos at the same time. Not something I do often, but I've tried it out a few times and the video is great quality - better than my Sony Handycam from four years ago by far (not surprising).
LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
DawnM
Dawn

Thanks.

Costco actually has a good deal on the J1 right now. $499 for a bundle with 2 lenses, the body, and a small case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
I'll throw in a recommendation for the Nikon1 series. I have the J1, and I know someone with the v1. They've also just added the j2 (not much difference except they went with a plastic body so I believe it's lighter) and v2 (more similar to the standard DSLR with the grip).

I've really enjoyed the j1. Its adjustments are in different locations than the DSLR, so it's a little tricky getting used to. It takes great low light pictures, ISO up to 3200. You can shoot in RAW format. Has a pop-up flash which I rarely find myself using (and avoid it actually). There have been a few situations where I wish I could add an external flash. The V1 and V2 have that ability. The other difference between the j model and v model is that the v had a viewfinder and the j does not. And there are times I wish I had a viewfinder. Looking back, I might should've purchased the v1 instead (but hey - the v only came in black and the j came in all these pretty colors... The v now comes in white which is what I got anyway), but I've thoroughly enjoyed the j1 and am glad I made the purchase.

Another cool feature about these cameras is that you can attach almost all NIKKOR lenses to the body, not just the Nikon1 lenses.

Also, one of its draws is the ability to take HD video and still photos at the same time. Not something I do often, but I've tried it out a few times and the video is great quality - better than my Sony Handycam from four years ago by far (not surprising).

Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks.

Costco actually has a good deal on the J1 right now. $499 for a bundle with 2 lenses, the body, and a small case.
I've been reading about the 1 Series, and I have played around with the J1 and V1. Interestingly, I have read some reviews of the new V2 -- The V2 is really made for a photo enthusiast, with a ton of manual controls.
The J1/V1/J2 are designed more like a point and shoot, but with interchangeable lenses. Many of the manual controls are hidden or entirely lacking. For example, I believe ISO control, while possible, is buried in menu options, instead of being simple to reach. (But there it can be accessed with 1 button on the V2). All the cameras entirely lack bracketing exposure. Still, with the V2, they have aimed at those who want a compact advanced camera system. While they were previously focusing on point & shooters, who wanted higher quality.

There are some great deals on the J1 and V1 as they are being cleared out of stock. I saw the V1 for $299. But I just can't recommend the cameras for someone looking for advanced dSLR type controls.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: