Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
lifesgr8
Mouseketeer
 
lifesgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 268

Help me make up my mind!!

I currently have a res for pop. For January 2013 7 of us going so I have to get 2 rooms. Dh wants to upgrade to port Orleans and do the s/d/p. we have $2000 Disney dollars to spend. Can't decide if we should do the package or stay budget/value rooms. If we stay value I would probably not do s/d/p. kids getting older not sure how many vaca's like this left?

The convience of buying the dining plan is great but not so sure of the savings . Dh says he thinks port is so much nicer & does not want to do value. He thinks I will be disappointed as last time we did the bcv. (Thru timeshare not oop)

Just can't make up my mind!!!!
__________________
2012-BCV
2012-DD&MOM TRIP TO DL, OFFSITE
2013 POP Century
2013 MNSSHP/FAMILY TRIP TO DL
2014 BCV
lifesgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
AR81
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 649

I don't really have a suggestion either way because I haven't stayed at either one. However may I ask why you were disappointed in bcv? We are considering renting points for a studio or 1 bed for there. I know the rooms aren't upgraded furniture, etc.. but I figure the pool and grounds will be worth it. What was your experience with bcv?
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Girlfriday17
Mouseketeer
 
Girlfriday17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 141

Love POFQ. Never stayed at pop although my sister did and siam it was fine. Great for small kids but rooms were small. We are an adult couple with no kids and French Quarter is our go to resort.
Girlfriday17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
lifesgr8
Mouseketeer
 
lifesgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 268

NOT disappointed at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR81 View Post
I don't really have a suggestion either way because I haven't stayed at either one. However may I ask why you were disappointed in bcv? We are considering renting points for a studio or 1 bed for there. I know the rooms aren't upgraded furniture, etc.. but I figure the pool and grounds will be worth it. What was your experience with bcv?
I was NOT disappointed at BCV. It was awesome! I used my timeshare to stay there last year so our oop was just our exchange fee. This year, this trip was so last minute, I have not found availability for the room size we need for our family. Paying for the same room we have or even renting points is more expense than I want to pay. After staying in BCV my husband thinks I will be really disappointed going to a value & wants to try port orleans. He was recently there and checked out both properties briefly. (pop & port)
__________________
2012-BCV
2012-DD&MOM TRIP TO DL, OFFSITE
2013 POP Century
2013 MNSSHP/FAMILY TRIP TO DL
2014 BCV
lifesgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
AR81
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesgr8 View Post
I was NOT disappointed at BCV. It was awesome! I used my timeshare to stay there last year so our oop was just our exchange fee. This year, this trip was so last minute, I have not found availability for the room size we need for our family. Paying for the same room we have or even renting points is more expense than I want to pay. After staying in BCV my husband thinks I will be really disappointed going to a value & wants to try port orleans. He was recently there and checked out both properties briefly. (pop & port)
I understand now, I misread your statement. I was curious because especially here on the dis there has been a lot of negative reviews in the last year or so about BCV, like the conditions of the rooms for what you pay, etc...
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Soon2beMrs.
Mouseketeer
 
Soon2beMrs.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 118

Depends on how often you have been to WDW. Honestly if you don't have very young kids who require naps and you would spend a great deal of time in the parks I would do value resorts bc if you don't travel to Disney often there is so much to see and your room would be a place to sleep.
I have a young child and we travel often so for us we like bay lake bc you spend equal time at the resorts and in the park.
Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip!!!
Soon2beMrs. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Robbi
DIS Veteran
 
Robbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,694

The DDP for us has not worked well. We've used the regular plan- 1 snack, 1 table service, and 1 table service. Usually we skip breakfast and have coffee/juice. Our lunch tends to be late in the day and table service. At night, we're still full from the late lunch. If we didn't use the snack credit for breakfast, we use it in the evening for a little something. The last time we had 20 counter service credits left!
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
carly chloe
DIS Veteran
 
carly chloe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: minnesota
Posts: 913

If it's in your budget I would do the moderate. We love being on the dining plan. We like the nice sit down resturants once a day and grabbing a counter service for the other meal. Takes dining expenses off your mind and just ENJOY!!!!!!!! And moderste resorts are nicer than values. We've done them all.
__________________
carly chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
lifesgr8
Mouseketeer
 
lifesgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2beMrs. View Post
Depends on how often you have been to WDW. Honestly if you don't have very young kids who require naps and you would spend a great deal of time in the parks I would do value resorts bc if you don't travel to Disney often there is so much to see and your room would be a place to sleep.
I have a young child and we travel often so for us we like bay lake bc you spend equal time at the resorts and in the park.
Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip!!!
This is our second trip to the world. we have 5 kids. but they are all past nap time. we are park commandos. (live closer to dl, so we have been there many, many times) kids are 17,16,12,7,4-almost5) we are going with another family with 5 kids that are not so much commandos so I am going to have to slow my pace. We never spend much time at the resort. I told the kids last time....if we come again... I would me more mellow. I am thinking port would be more fun for when we are not in the park, maybe I am wrong.

as far as the dining plan. last time I added it to our reservation. we do counter service for both meals. just would prefer to eat quick. our 7 year old does not sit well for very long at all. It is still way too much food. I added everything up last time. I think we spend more on the dining plan but, I would not be ordering desserts, drinks and snacks all day. It does make it so convienent & I feel like I am not the disney food miser where my teenagers are concerned.

thanks for the comments! i see posts all day long about making up our minds.... I think writing this post and reading the comments i should change over to port. with the s/d/p and enjoy the vaca!
__________________
2012-BCV
2012-DD&MOM TRIP TO DL, OFFSITE
2013 POP Century
2013 MNSSHP/FAMILY TRIP TO DL
2014 BCV
lifesgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.