Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

"Santa must have heard that we love balloons!" TR *8/27 Update*

Trip Reporting has officially commenced!

Saturday, Feb 9:
1. Getting ready to leave
2. At the airport
3. Arrival at the hotel
4. Our first night at Disneyland, Soundsational parade and our first DL ride
5. Dumbo and Remember...Dreams Come True fireworks

Sunday, Feb 10:
6. Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen
7. GK Part 2
8. We're going to Hollywood!
9. On the bus tour
10. The bus ride back

Monday, Feb 11:
11. California Adventure
12. Our first visit in Radiator Springs
13. A Bug's Land and Tower of Terror
14. Lunch at Flo's and meeting McQueen
15. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
16. Luigi's Flying Tires
17. Lunar New Year celebration
18. Pixar Play Parade
19. World of Color attempt

Tues, Feb 12
20. Our not so Magic Morning
21. A Beast of a morning
22. Mardi Gras in New Orleans Square
23. Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulet
24. River Belle Terrace, New Orleans Square
25. Pooh's Playful Spot
26. Tarzan's Treehouse
27. A Genie and 2 Fairies
28. Space Mountain
29. An evening in Tomorrowland

Wed, Feb 13
30. Toy Storia Mania
31. Redwood Creek Challenge and we FINALLY meet the big cheese!

Starting a PTR, b/c Im just too excited and I can come here and ramble to myself.

DH and I will be surprising the kids on Christmas with a trip to Disneyland for Mardi Gras week.

The plan is to wrap a large box full of Mickey head balloons for them to open. Im going to print pictures to tie to the strings of each balloon so they know were going to DL, not WDW, and when. I have some pics saved from Bayou Bash last year to clue them into the Mardi Gras week and some DL-specific pics including the sign and Cars Land so theyll know its DL, not WDW.

I have a 7 year old son, a 5 year old daughter (who'll turn 6 the day we arrive!), and a 2 year old son. The older 2 have been to WDW twice, the youngest was 4 months for the second trip. Theyve been asking to go back since the day we got home and now the baby is obsessed with Me Mow CubHows None of us have ever been to DL or California.

Im just busting out of my skin excited to tell them. Also, joining us on our trip will be my mom and dad who made this possible by paying for the airfare. I'd priced a DL trip, but decided it was too expensive, and settled on WDW. Invited my parents to come along, and they said they wanted to, but they weren't up for the drive, so they wanted to pay to fly us to Orlando. When I started pricing flights, the direct flights to Orlando were already sold out. The price and travel time with layover weren't that much different from the direct LAX flights I'd previously priced when I was looking at DL. So, I asked if they're buying plane tickets anyway, would they want to go to DLR instead and they said YES!

Anyway, back to the Christmas reveal. I have a large box to put the Mickey balloons in and wrap with Christmas Disney paper. I already have the ear balloons and helium tank. Im debating putting the Mickey balloons inside another clear balloon. But, the round ball outer balloons are pricey, and Im worried about being able to properly get one inside the other, and having enough helium. But, I love the idea of it. Just seems way more park-like.

I also have park maps, 2 guide books, small plushes of Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy in Mardi Gras attire, the 2013 planning DVD, and the PhotoPass+ stock CD to put in the bottom of the box. I have a number of embroidered shirts for them too. I was going to put them in the bottom of the box, but my neighbor does embroidery and I get them shirts from her all the time and for all trips, so Im thinking now that they should be wrapped from us and not in Santas box since the kids may realize where they came from. For their stockings, I have
Mickey light spinners

Some Mickey and Minnie cookies from Walgreens

Kaleidescopes from Party City

Glow necklaces from Party City

And also bunches of Fab 5 lollipops and packs of Disney Jelly Beans.

Hmmm& And now I need to go look in the closest, bc it seems like I have more than that, but I cant remember what!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

Last edited by lsulindy; 08-27-2013 at 12:02 PM.
lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

We're going to be arriving on a Saturday afternoon (dd's birthday!), arriving at LAX at 2:20. We'll depart the next Saturday morning. We plan on one sightseeing day around LA and one day drive to SD zoo.

My original thought was to do Goofy's Kitchen on arrival night. Then 4 park days and 2 non-park days. DH thinks that the kids would much rather be at the parks on arrival day than a character meal. So, thinking of getting the 5 day park hopper instead of 4. Need to figure out park days so that I know which days to price rental cars for.

And, I'd also like to do Minnie and Friends one day. So, I need to know when to make that reservation. We'll have one MM. If we do Sat evening, we can hopefully see fireworks that night and then avoid the parks on Sunday using our days on less crowded weekdays. If we do Goofy's on Sat, then Sunday would be a park day b/c there's no way we're keeping the kids out of the parks till Monday!

Was planning to avoid Fri too due to crowds for the upcoming President's Day. But, F!, Tea Cups and Splash are reopening that day, so now I'm thinking of making that a park day. Crowds should be low mid-week, so I'd like to avoid having parkdays on Sunday AND Friday and waste low-crowd mid-week days on non-park activities...

So, I mapped out this tentative plan, then I realized that both of my DCA days are EMH days, and we don't have EMH.

Sat - arrival - DL evening (hopefully see parade and fireworks)
Sun - LA sightseeing
Mon - DCA
Tues - DL (use MM - Mardi Gras day, hoping for Bayou Bash)
Wed - DCA
Thur - zoo
Fri - DL (F!, Tea Cups and Splash open - Minnie & Friends?)

We'll have hoppers, but with the kids it'll be easier to not go back and forth too much. Would it be better to start out Tues and Fri in DCA? Then, we couldn't use our MM, and I don't know which day to book Minnie. I'd like to get RSR fastpasses while everyone else gets on a few things without big lines. And if we go on an EMH day, I'd think there will already be lines.

Could switch out our zoo day so that Thurs could be a DCA day, but Tues and Wed should be the lowest crowd days, so I'd rather not lose those.

I know I'm overthinking this. It shouldn't be this complicated.

Last edited by lsulindy; 01-15-2013 at 12:55 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
cristyhas3
Mouseketeer

How exciting!! My kiddos are the same ages as yours, but we haven't been to DLR in 4 years. Sounds like we'll be there just a couple of weeks after you. I can't wait to hear how the trip reveal goes.
Nora, 3

Heading to the Happiest Place on Earth in March!

My Blog: www.sewmuchlikemom.com
cristyhas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristyhas3 View Post
How exciting!! My kiddos are the same ages as yours, but we haven't been to DLR in 4 years. Sounds like we'll be there just a couple of weeks after you. I can't wait to hear how the trip reveal goes.
I can't wait for the reveal. I'm bursting! Do your kids know about their trip yet?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

I can't believe that it's 4 nights till Christmas!! I'm working on "tickets" for the kids right now. I think I'm going to do as many balloons as will fit in the box, and have tickets on 3 of them.

Front:

Back:

I can't wait!!

Last edited by lsulindy; 01-15-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Guess I did a good job. Hubby got home, saw the tickets, and asked if they were the real ones. Haven't ordered those yet (and he knew that!)

Last edited by lsulindy; 01-15-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

I love the tickets! It is going to be exciting at your house on Christmas morning.I kind of wished that I could make our trip a secret but I booked our hotel in March and I would have imploded if I had to keep a secret that long.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Yay! Park hours are now out for all days of my trip. Friday IS an 8am opening, so hopefully that will give us time to get a number of things done before our 10:20 Minnie & Friends ADR.

Friday is also the first day that F! will be showing again after its refurb. I was leaning towards hiring Mouse Expeditions, but my parents have decided to they want to pay the money for us all to do the dessert package. Dad has Parkinson's and mom has a back injury, so I was really worried about how we were going to find/save a spot for the show.

But, now that they've decided on the dessert package, I'm stressing about them spending that much money and worried that the kids will either be tired or dd will be scared. I watched the video with her on YouTube and she did OK. She asked a few questions about the dream, and I reassured her that it was make-believe and the dragon was just a robot. But, it's not as intense on YouTube as I'm sure it is IRL, so I'm still concerned. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by lsulindy; 01-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Yay for having all your park hours! You know my feelings on that ....

The dessert package sounds awesome -- especially with older parents. I can't imagine my father sitting tightly packed in on the ground both to hold a spot and then see the show. That is one area that WDW's Fantasmic has an edge -- you get a seat!

We saw Fantasmic at DL a couple years ago. We'll probably try to see it again but might not sweat it so much. I am however, looking into the World of Color picnic lunches to be sure we have a spot for WoC. Since you are standing and I have two short kids, it could be a problem.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
We saw Fantasmic at DL a couple years ago. We'll probably try to see it again but might not sweat it so much. I am however, looking into the World of Color picnic lunches to be sure we have a spot for WoC. Since you are standing and I have two short kids, it could be a problem.

PHXscuba
Not sure what we're going to do for WOC yet. At least with that one, we have multiple nights to try.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

I'm an so darn excited! Read earlier today that they're letting the baby panda out for public viewing tomorrow. I didn't think he'd be out yet for our trip.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_1...-public-debut/

And, since first having the idea for this trip, I've been hoping for Bayou Bash/Mardi Gras celebrations. I've been stalking the Disney blog and Limited Time Magic page as well as other blogs. But, Susie63 posted that it was on this site today! You'd think that since we're leaving NOLA for Mardi Gras and get to experience the real thing would mean that we didn't care much. But we LOVE Mardi Gras and only leave b/c it's a non-summer heat/crowd week off of school. It'll be nice to get a little celebration. Even if it's the Disneyfied version. Plus I have a thing for characters in unique outfits, and Mickey and Minnie in Mardi Gras outfits has me feeling like a giddy kid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT226OexI8g

ETA: As I was typing this, DH started watching Disneyland videos on Youtube with the kids. They were almost done, and I said "Type in Disneyland Bayou Bash" It started playing and the kids looked at me with big eyes. I said, "They're doing that for Mardi Gras!" They started jumping up and down and cheering!

Last edited by lsulindy; 01-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

DH and I are both finding it pretty funny that the food offerings for Bayou Bash last year were Corn Chowder and Meatloaf. Both completely non-New Orleans/Mardi Gras foods, even if you do add some "Cajun" seasoning. Wasn't planning to order "New Orleans" food in Disney anyway. Well, except the Mickey beignets. I know they will probably disappoint in the taste department, but I just can't resist.

Last edited by lsulindy; 01-15-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
seashell724
DIS Veteran

Excited to read more! Have fun!
seashell724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #14
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Having an absolute blast. Hit Disneyland Saturday evening after arrival. Got a corndog, saw the parade, rode Alice, rode Dumbo, watched fireworks, then we left but DH stayed with DS7 and they did Star Tours, Matternhorn, Nemo and Astro Oribtors before closing.

Had Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast Sunday morning, then toured Hollywood. I know Goofy's has been getting mixed reviews, but we thought it was great. Saw Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Mulan, Aurora, Perla, Baloo, and Rafiki.

Today we hit California Adventure. Didn't see as many characters as I thought we would, but we hit almost every ride and saw the Pixar parade. Got what I think would have been a good spot for the 8:15 World of Color, but then they came by at 7:45 to say the show was cancelled due to technical difficulty. We'll try again Wednesday.

I got disappointed b/c I thought Lunar New Year ended today and we just missed seeing Mickey twice, and just missed seeing Mulan and Mushu. They were leaving, but DH saw where they were headed so he ran over there and DD got a hug from both of them before they started their processional down the street. But, I missed getting pics. We did get some really awesome pics with Minnie though. The kids were wearing yellow and red today, and it looked great with Minnie's red dress and orange and yellow background. Then just now when I got on the DIS, I see that it's through Wednesday! I already felt very silly for being upset about it. (Well, I didn't get really upset, I just kept kicking myself for not heading back there sooner. Time got away from us and I knew we were cutting it close when we went to head back there from Monster's Inc, then on the way we hit the end of the News Boys show with Mickey and the kids just had to stop and watch... I knew I should stop thinking about it, but I just kept thinking about it.) Now, I feel REALLY silly. DH definitely thought I was being silly. He won't understand at all why I want to go back Wednesday!

That was longer than I planned. Was going to just be highlights before I hit my rant! Can't keep my eyes open anymore!

Tomorrow we hit Disneyland!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
Having an absolute blast. Hit Disneyland Saturday evening after arrival. Got a corndog, saw the parade, rode Alice, rode Dumbo, watched fireworks, then we left but DH stayed with DS7 and they did Star Tours, Matternhorn, Nemo and Astro Oribtors before closing.

Had Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast Sunday morning, then toured Hollywood. I know Goofy's has been getting mixed reviews, but we thought it was great. Saw Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Mulan, Aurora, Perla, Baloo, and Rafiki.

Today we hit California Adventure. Didn't see as many characters as I thought we would, but we hit almost every ride and saw the Pixar parade. Got what I think would have been a good spot for the 8:15 World of Color, but then they came by at 7:45 to say the show was cancelled due to technical difficulty. We'll try again Wednesday.

I got disappointed b/c I thought Lunar New Year ended today and we just missed seeing Mickey twice, and just missed seeing Mulan and Mushu. They were leaving, but DH saw where they were headed so he ran over there and DD got a hug from both of them before they started their processional down the street. But, I missed getting pics. We did get some really awesome pics with Minnie though. The kids were wearing yellow and red today, and it looked great with Minnie's red dress and orange and yellow background. Then just now when I got on the DIS, I see that it's through Wednesday! I already felt very silly for being upset about it. (Well, I didn't get really upset, I just kept kicking myself for not heading back there sooner. Time got away from us and I knew we were cutting it close when we went to head back there from Monster's Inc, then on the way we hit the end of the News Boys show with Mickey and the kids just had to stop and watch... I knew I should stop thinking about it, but I just kept thinking about it.) Now, I feel REALLY silly. DH definitely thought I was being silly. He won't understand at all why I want to go back Wednesday!

That was longer than I planned. Was going to just be highlights before I hit my rant! Can't keep my eyes open anymore!

Tomorrow we hit Disneyland!
Glad you're having fun! Did the kids adjust to the time difference? Was everyone wowed when you pulled up to the PPH?

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: