Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Have You Stayed in the Little Mermaid Rooms at AoA?

DH and I are thinking of surprising our kids with a trip to WDW at the beginning of January...SO excited! This is a quick trip, and we're trying to stick to a tighter budget since it's last minute. We were thinking about staying at the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA. We were able to try the Finding Nemo suites in September and LOVED it!! I know that the LM rooms are standard for value resorts, but we haven't stayed at the other values yet. We did walk over to LM while we were there in September, so I am aware that they are the farthest rooms from food and transportation. If you have stayed in the LM rooms before, how did you like them? Are the rooms extremely small? Do they have a mini-fridge?

The LM rooms are NOT discounted in January, so we can either stay there or spend a very small amount more to stay at Caribbean Beach. Which would you choose? I am leaning toward AoA because the bus only has one stop vs. going all around CBR and Landscape of Flavors is FAR superior IMO. So, if you had the choice, would you stay at CBR or one of the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA?

mjaclyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

1) Yes, they are small. I'm used to Pop Century rooms though.
2) Yes, they have a fridge.
3) I had really good luck with buses at AOA. My friend was there a month later and had a terrible time with buses. No way to anticipate. You can't really choose a resort based on the buses.
4) If I had more than two people I'd stay at Caribbean Beach. It's just more comfortable. Art of Animation is beautiful but it sounds like you have already stayed there.
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

humm tough choice

I don't think of the room as small but we usually stay in value resorts so we're used to the size.

We loved Landscapes of Flavor!

That said how old are the kids? Would they enjoy the slides in CB's pool (if it's warm enough to swim)? I know when we stayed there (CB) DD loved the slides!

I'm not sure which one I would choose if I were you - probably LM...
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Funfire240
DIS Veteran

We Stayed in LM in September and loved it! I thought there was enough room - but that said, I've never been in a moderate room. It was me, DH, DD4 and DS2 and I never felt crowded the week we were there.

Just returned from a fabulous trip, no planned trips at this time.
Funfire240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

My kids are 3 and 6 so they would share one double bed and DH and I would have the other. Don't the moderates have double beds as well? It seemed like when we stayed at CBR last May the beds were definitely smaller than a queen. DH and I were on our own without the kids that trip so we each ended up with our own bed lol.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Just don't count on being able to swim in Jan. We stayed in CBR for Christmas a few years ago and it was cold that week. We tried to swim one day and could only stay in for about 15 min. We were so disappointed b/c the pool was one of the reasons we chose that resort.
For the age of your kids, they would probably love the LM rooms. If you knew for sure you could swim, I'd say CBR's pirate ship pool would be nice for your kids.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
My kids are 3 and 6 so they would share one double bed and DH and I would have the other. Don't the moderates have double beds as well? It seemed like when we stayed at CBR last May the beds were definitely smaller than a queen. DH and I were on our own without the kids that trip so we each ended up with our own bed lol.
All moderates have queen beds now, in case that matters in your decision. Enjoy!
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
smidgy
dimples

we left CBR dec 5, and did not have queen beds. we were in Martinique bldg. 26.

since you have already stayed at AOA, and in a suite, IF you have enver stayed at CBR, I would try it.

yes, it is annoying that the bus has to stop at 6 villages. but it is a great resort. cheery.. you dont' say how old your kids are. they have a great water splash area for the little kids. there is a little kid slide at the main pool and zero depth entry.. and ther is an enclosed water slide for the biggger kids. but everything is a longer walk.

but it will be a longer walk anyway from LM.

hubby and I like to switch off resorts. and we feel like you have to try each resort once.

don't forget, if you stay at CBR, put in your room requests. and if you don't like what they offer you, aske fo rsomething better. not guaranteed, but if you are nice, it might work.. either way, it's a very nice resort!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Ooh! Sorry about my previous comment. All Moderates now have queen beds except Caribbean Beach.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I was at LM in October.

Small room but comparable to the other values. Toliet area seemed smaller as well. I am probably the only person to say this but I'm not overly fond of the dark tile in the shower. Kinda like bathing in a cave.

I'm not huge of the giant icon theme but I'll just tell you now, I was in the Ursula building....walking on the upper floors next to the big Ursula creeped me out. and to get to the elevator or ice you have to go by the big U.

I did not have a problem with the walk. I was on the 2nd or 3rd floor. The elevators are in the middle and my room was on the end. I just took the stairs (okay access to the stairs is not great because of landscaping if you go from the front you have to go to the middle where the elevators are) so I generally cut across the grass to the back of the hotel and accessed the stairs there).

I'm not a fan of double beds. I was solo, wouldn't want to share a double that's for sure. I didn't use the drawers but there's not a lot of them or space in the three that you do get.

Fridge is small but adaquate. I had no problem accessing wireless (ipad/and phone) or using my cell phone (both with AT&T).

I faced the inner area and could see the pool but was at the end away from it so no noise. (was closer to the main building)

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I'm here now. Room is adorable, food court is nice, buses are fine.

I have ZERO cell phone reception in my room. To make a phone call, I literally have to hang out of my room in the doorway. I am not used to this. At home, I have very good luck with At&T. Never a dropped call.

It's a shame. I would love to stay here again but this is really annoying.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Booked it!! I'm SO excited to see the Little Mermaid rooms!

I'm not counting on good cell service, lol. I have Verizon though, so maybe it's different than AT&T.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
OhioWDWDuo
Mouseketeer

Just stayed in a LM room last week and our cell service was fine. We have Verizon. Overall we liked the resort!
OhioWDWDuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: