DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
312BillB
Earning My Ears

Looks like no changes in restrictions on resales this year?

I've been monitoring this closely as I'm currently awaiting my first contract to come through in the used market. The rumors that resale inventories will be restricted to the resort at which they purchased appears to be false, or at least that is what I gathered after watching the tweets from dvcnews. Good news for us in the used market!

Hopefully this was all a marketing ploy to get new resales and that this won't ever happen, which would totally hose the initial investment from those who bought direct through Disney and plan on reselling some day.
312BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Disney would never announce anything negative in a open forum. If you notice all of the announcements were positive. If hard questions are asked during the face to face, in the past they promised to get back to you, for me they never did.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
312BillB
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Disney would never announce anything negative in a open forum. If you notice all of the announcements were positive. If hard questions are asked during the face to face, in the past they promised to get back to you, for me they never did.

Bill
I think you commented about this in a previous post and I forgot about that point. Maybe I spoke too soon, but I'm hoping not....
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

Bill
This! Bill and nearly every other truly knowledgeable person on this board all agreed there was zero chance and restrictions would be announced at the annual meeting. It's the wrong forum for it. The executives have to mingle with members afterward, so there's little chance of announcing anything that would induce blowback.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
spruce
DIS Veteran

A timeshare is a prepaid vacation, not an investment. The value to buying one is gained through many years of use.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
312BillB
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
A timeshare is a prepaid vacation, not an investment. The value to buying one is gained through many years of use.
Agreed - however I wouldn't buy into a timeshare knowing full well I'd lose 75% of value after day 1 because of different rules for the new buyer creates a different fair value of the ownership. My first question before I bought was, "how easy is it to get rid of it if I needed to?" even though I don't have that intent. But, people's circumstances and habits change.

I would guarantee I'd never buy new if that rule was ever implemented...
Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 312BillB View Post
Agreed - however I wouldn't buy into a timeshare knowing full well I'd lose 75% of value after day 1 because of different rules for the new buyer creates a different fair value of the ownership...
There are a LOT of timeshares that work that way...and DVC is, at it's core, a timeshare. A timeshare with a great location, and nice units (well, better than most, not as nice as some), but still any timeshare isn't going to hold value in the resale market. Especially a limited time lease timeshare like DVC. It will lose resale value continually, slowly, but continually, as there are fewer and fewer years to actually use it.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
A prepaid vacation is an asset. It has a value. There are certain actions Disney could take to purposely demolish the value of that asset. Just because it is prepaid vacation lodging doesn't mean that it has no monetary value. It is an asset with value just like any other. Some people will be in a position where they need to sell their DVC points in the future, from some unforeseen circumstance perhaps (I bought my points from a widow, though I don't know if this is why she was selling). It makes sense to consider this possibility before making such a substantial purchase.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

The last restriction was announced in January 2011, so it did not come at an annual meeting. Nothing controversial comes out at these meetings.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And a car is nothing more than a means of transportation, but that doesn't mean I don't want to be able to sell it at some point instead of driving it till the end of it's life.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
spruce
DIS Veteran

Every time I tried to list my timeshares as an asset to a bank to show net worth the bank disregarded such property as an asset. Timeshares have always been a losing proposition to those wanting to sell. Disney subsidized and proped up the resale value for years with rofr. That's why every other timeshare in my stable was a resale costing no more then 3k. Disney had a value with financing that worked for us back in 98 when purchase price was close to $63 per point. I would never entertain a direct purchase today because dvc is too expensive yet the market is bearing their prices. If I ever add on again it'll be a resale in 10 or 15 years when prices are really in the toilet. Resale is a bargain vs direct but resale is still currently overvalued compared to other timeshares that are 20 years old.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
Sammie
DIS Veteran

DVC and any time share should be considered a luxury purchase and never an investment. The value is in the using of it, not the selling of it.

Much like a membership to a golf club or country club or even rental of a luxury car.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #13
spruce
DIS Veteran

You'll be able to sell both at market value not necessarily what you think it is worth. Car sales were proped up a few years ago by the government, remember the gas guzzlers rebates. Dvc proped up value with rofr. What's the difference, the market will level itself. My Mom has 7 timeshare weeks and thinks she should get thousands more than reality because they cost xxxx each. I can't get her to understand that her value was in the use of those weeks for over 20 years. There is a reason timeshares sell for $1 on eBay. If you look at ownership any other way then a luxury prepay with the value being in using it maybe timeshares aren't for you because because when you resell it, typically you lose money from your acquisition cost.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You'll be able to sell both at market value not necessarily what you think it is worth. Car sales were proped up a few years ago by the government, remember the gas guzzlers rebates. Dvc proped up value with rofr. What's the difference, the market will level itself. My Mom has 7 timeshare weeks and thinks she should get thousands more than reality because they cost xxxx each. I can't get her to understand that her value was in the use of those weeks for over 20 years. There is a reason timeshares sell for $1 on eBay. If you look at ownership any other way then a luxury prepay with the value being in using it maybe timeshares aren't for you because because when you resell it, typically you lose money from your acquisition cost.
If a timeshare is selling for only a few dollars on eBay, then the market is saying that the future use of that timeshare for vacations is only worth a couple of dollars. If you buy a timeshare on day one and sell it on day two and can only get pennies on the dollar even though all that 'future use' is still there, that implies to me the timeshare was seriously overpriced.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
If a timeshare is selling for only a few dollars on eBay, then the market is saying that the future use of that timeshare for vacations is only worth a couple of dollars. If you buy a timeshare on day one and sell it on day two and can only get pennies on the dollar even though all that 'future use' is still there, that implies to me the timeshare was seriously overpriced.
In a sense, however, the timeshare demand is to such a small group that market forces don't work very well. There are simply far too many people out there where timeshares would be a perfect option for them that they either don't know about them or have discounted them for various often inaccurate reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 312BillB View Post
I've been monitoring this closely as I'm currently awaiting my first contract to come through in the used market. The rumors that resale inventories will be restricted to the resort at which they purchased appears to be false, or at least that is what I gathered after watching the tweets from dvcnews. Good news for us in the used market!

Hopefully this was all a marketing ploy to get new resales and that this won't ever happen, which would totally hose the initial investment from those who bought direct through Disney and plan on reselling some day.
I don't think it even comes up to the level of a rumor, more speculation only. It is my opinion that the POS is a contract between DVC and it's members and that there is no provision within that contract that would allow for this restriction based on qualified or unqualified points. I believe the only way one could be restricted to a single resort is if that resort ceases to be a member of the club. The same answer applies to the issue of any difference between reservation lead times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: