Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Sleep aids?

I have an appointment this afternoon with my doc about this but figured while I wait I'd see what others have had success with. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in ages. I fall asleep eventually but I wake up repeatedly throughout the night and cannot fall back asleep. I'm exhausted and cranky all the time now because of it. I don't drink caffeine at night or anything. I've tried OTC stuff but it has no effect on me. So I'm ready to cave and try to prescription route...Ambien? Lunesta? I don't want to be groggy in the morning, and I do worry about sleep eating or doing something in a stupor at night but DH is pretty easy to wake if I get out of bed. So...what do you use with success?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Have you tried the old standards?? Warm milk, sleepytime tea or melatonin pills??
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I have been on Ambien, Lunesta, and Trazadone, and I can't say any of them compare to getting a good night's sleep naturally. Most of them, the effect eventually wears off, and then you have to take more and more to fall asleep. And weaning off it can be so hard.

The best thing is to find out the cause of your not sleeping. Is something stressing you out? If so, if it's only a temporary thing, the pills above can get you through it. I wouldn't rely on any of them for long-term.

The more you dwell on not being able to sleep, the harder it is to sleep. I had to retrain my brain to think of other things. I went to bed later, NEVER consumed any caffeine, made sure the room was comfortable for sleeping, etc. etc. If at all possible, I would exhaust all the natural methods before using a drug again.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I have an appointment this afternoon with my doc about this but figured while I wait I'd see what others have had success with. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in ages. I fall asleep eventually but I wake up repeatedly throughout the night and cannot fall back asleep. I'm exhausted and cranky all the time now because of it. I don't drink caffeine at night or anything. I've tried OTC stuff but it has no effect on me. So I'm ready to cave and try to prescription route...Ambien? Lunesta? I don't want to be groggy in the morning, and I do worry about sleep eating or doing something in a stupor at night but DH is pretty easy to wake if I get out of bed. So...what do you use with success?
Xanax. It has allowed me to sleep through the night, most nights, for the first time in years. My doctor gave it to me because I also sleepwalk occasionally, and he worried about giving me a "traditional" sleep-aid (ie: Ambien, etc.) because I might not wake up as easy when I start to get out of bed with something like that. Bonus is it has cut down on my anxiety dramatically as well.

Good luck with your appointment. Hope you get some relief soon. Not sleeping sucks!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Yep. I'm already on melatonin. I also have Xanax (for anxiety, but I've taken it for sleep help when I'm desperate), but I'm sooooo groggy in the morning, and I usually wind up waking up in the middle of the night anyway when I take it. Sigh. I'm hoping to take something to get a few good night's sleep to reset my body and then hopefully I can stop taking it and then use it once in a while. My life/career is stressful and I've done all I can to deal with all of that...but it's been a LONG time since I've gotten a solid uninterrupted night of sleep (maybe years?).

So...having exhausted the other avenues of getting a good night's sleep, I'm giving drugs a shot.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Yep. I'm already on melatonin. I also have Xanax (for anxiety, but I've taken it for sleep help when I'm desperate), but I'm sooooo groggy in the morning, and I usually wind up waking up in the middle of the night anyway when I take it. Sigh. I'm hoping to take something to get a few good night's sleep to reset my body and then hopefully I can stop taking it and then use it once in a while. My life/career is stressful and I've done all I can to deal with all of that...but it's been a LONG time since I've gotten a solid uninterrupted night of sleep (maybe years?).

So...having exhausted the other avenues of getting a good night's sleep, I'm giving drugs a shot.
Jennasis, I'm dealing with much the same thing, but I know why mine is happening (perimenopause, stress, etc).

Have you ever had a sleep study or a dr indicate you may have sleep apnea?

I know what you're going through.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Jennasis, I'm dealing with much the same thing, but I know why mine is happening (perimenopause, stress, etc).

Have you ever had a sleep study or a dr indicate you may have sleep apnea?

I know what you're going through.
No sleep study but I don't think I have sleep apnea...though my Dad does. I'm only 36 so hopefully I'm looking at an early menopause! I suppose those are things to bring up with the doctor today. The problem is that I DETEST this particular doc, but she was the only one in the practice who had an opening and I don't want to go another night like this. The doc I'm seeing tends to poo-poo things and has a bit of a condescending or patronizing attitude.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
justjulie
I got it, I got it !
Always looking for new shops to draw ideas from
"Goober" has been mine forever

Griffonia

I have been going through this too and opted to try the natural route first - this is my first experience with a Naturopath and she suggested Griffonia and an iron supplement - it's all natural and takes the edge off. My sleep cycle is "broken" - my mind ever shuts off which means I don't sleep which means I don't replenish seratonin and dopamine so I never "repair" enough for the next day.

Maybe it's wishing and hoping but I'm finding it works and I don't want to be dependent on the chemical side if I don't absolutely have to be.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Wine. Red. 2 glasses nightly.

ETA...I'm actually somewhat serious.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
Wine. Red. 2 glasses nightly.

ETA...I'm actually somewhat serious.
That usually works for me....serious.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
That usually works for me....serious.
A serving of fruit and heart-healthy. Has to be better than pills, right?
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Pugdog007
Volunteer Alabama Pug Rescue
Enjoys citing irrelevant and unimportant facts.

Ambien CR works for me. Lunesta did not and it has a horrible taste to it that seems like it never goes away. So you're wide awake with a horrible taste in your mouth.

Alaska, NCL Pearl, Sept 2014
New Zealand/Australia, Celebrity Solstice, Mar 2014
Mediterranean Greek Isles, RCCL Serenade of the Seas, Oct 2012
Western Caribbean, Carnival Freedom, Sept 2011
Israel & Egypt, Nov 2010
Scotland, Ireland & England, Oct 2009
Mexico & Belize RCCL Independence of the Seas, Dec 2008
Alaska, RCCL Radiance of the Seas, Sept 2007
London, Mar 2007
Baltics, RCCL Jewel of the Seas, July 2006
Alaska, RCCL Serenade of the Seas, June 2005
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, June 2003
Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, June 2002
Bahamas, Disney Wonder, Sept 2001
Pugdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

I swear by Ambien! I tried Lunesta once and it didn't work and it leaves a horrible taste in your mouth (metallic and gross). Ambien puts me right to sleep and I don't have a "hangover" when I wake up. However, a couple of things to keep in mind with Ambien: it can make you do things in your sleep... you might go online and buy things and have no recollection of it... or in more serious cases people have been known to sleep-drive... make sure your SO knows about this side effect and can keep an eye out for any wacky behaviour. Also, if you take Ambien and don't go to sleep right away, you'll start hallucinating.

For the PP who mentioned Tylenol PM... all that is is acetaminophen and diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Just buy store brand Benadryl if you don't need the painkiller.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

I've been taking Ambien CR 12.5 mg (generic zolpidem) for years and simply cannot sleep without it. I realize that "for years" means it's a habit, but it's also a necessity. The only side effect I've experienced in 10+ years is occasionally sleep-eating, but it's only been for one night at a time and I usually get up and fix myself a PB&J sandwich (I assume I'm still asleep as I don't remember it the next morning). The only reason I know I do it is that I've left the PB jar on the counter and a paper plate with bread crumbs on my night table!

I've tried every single natural method anyone could think of, OTC sleep and/or pain medications and would have tried alcohol but I lack the enzyme required to process it and become violently ill.

There may be internal side effects that I don't know about, but I'm 65 years old and if it takes sleeping pills to allow me to have a reasonably restful night and enough energy to function when I am awake, so be it. I have blood work and other lab tests done every six months with no troubling results so far.

I hope you find a solution to your sleep problem; I KNOW how debilitating lack of sleep can be. And it doesn't help that family and friends often brush it off as a trivial condition, a "mind over matter" kind of thing. Best of luck, and do let us know how things go with your appointment.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
Most sleep problems can be mitigated by having good sleep hygiene:
  • Go to bed around the same time every night
  • Wake up around the same time every day
  • Don't drink anything within an hour or three before bedtime
  • Don't sleep in excessively on the weekends
  • Don't watch TV in bed
  • Do use your phone in bed
  • Heck, don't do anything but sleep or (*ahem*) in your bed
  • establish a bedtime routine, like "turn off the TV 30 minutes before bed, brush your teeth, read for 15 minutes, and then lie down, turn off the light, and go to sleep"

You can try all the old standbys, but honestly any time waves their "ALL NATURAL" flag in front of me I just roll my eyes. Homeopathy is a pathetic waste of energy and money sold by charlatans. And alcohol may make you drowsy, but it gives poor quality sleep, and also will make you get up to pee.

When you talk to the doctor, SPECIFICALLY mention your sleep trouble. Are you having trouble FALLING ASLEEP or STAYING ASLEEP? Do you fall asleep but then wake up multiple times? Do you have trouble falling asleep, but once you're asleep you're out cold? These are IMPORTANT and affect what advice/mediation he should prescribe (if necessary).

Don't just say "I'm having trouble sleeping," that's a sure way to have the problem ignored or minimized.
Your list is exactly how I roll at night. Same time to bed and same time to wake up. No food or drink after dinner. etc etc. I don't really buy into the homeopathy stuff.

My plan is to tell her my problem. I fall asleep fine, but always wake up repeatedly and can't fall back asleep for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
A serving of fruit and heart-healthy. Has to be better than pills, right?
Can't drink wine. Especially red. So gross.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: