Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

So annoyed at pediatrician's office, and myself - vent

My daughter has been sick since Monday - started with a sore throat, now she's had afever for 2 days, vomiting, headache, etc. We saw the Dr on Monday, strep negative - just a cold was the diagnosis. This morning I called and told them she's gotten worse - these are symptoms, the nurse told me to bring her in. At 11:15 I arrive, the office manager tells me that my appointment was mistakenly made at the other office (where I've never been) and it's too late to keep that appt. Okay fine I say - squeeze me in here. No, sorry can't do that - lunch is in 1/2 hour, there are only 2 providers and there's no way to fit you in, you have to come back after lunch or tonight. Okay I say - call the other office and explain, tell them I'm on my way. No, can't do that - they're booked too and have no time. I protested, they apologized, but in the end I have to bring my girl back out for a 3:30 appt. I wish I was the type of person who didn't care about making a stink and was forceful enough to have gotten squeezed in, I drove home so angry about the whole thing.
NikitaZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaZee View Post
My daughter has been sick since Monday - started with a sore throat, now she's had afever for 2 days, vomiting, headache, etc. We saw the Dr on Monday, strep negative - just a cold was the diagnosis. This morning I called and told them she's gotten worse - these are symptoms, the nurse told me to bring her in. At 11:15 I arrive, the office manager tells me that my appointment was mistakenly made at the other office (where I've never been) and it's too late to keep that appt. Okay fine I say - squeeze me in here. No, sorry can't do that - lunch is in 1/2 hour, there are only 2 providers and there's no way to fit you in, you have to come back after lunch or tonight. Okay I say - call the other office and explain, tell them I'm on my way. No, can't do that - they're booked too and have no time. I protested, they apologized, but in the end I have to bring my girl back out for a 3:30 appt. I wish I was the type of person who didn't care about making a stink and was forceful enough to have gotten squeezed in, I drove home so angry about the whole thing.
I feel so bad for you and your DD. And this is the exact reason that I travel over an hour now to get to my MD. He would have stayed through his lunch hour and made his nurse stay as well.

I hope your DD is feeling better soon.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
I feel so bad for you and your DD. And this is the exact reason that I travel over an hour now to get to my MD. He would have stayed through his lunch hour and made his nurse stay as well.

I drive 45mins to go to my 16yodd's ped.

However we do use the Urgent Care that opened up from us. It is 2 mins. away.

Those sound like classic strep symptoms for my kids. Does she have a rash? Did you look in her throat with flashlight?

My youngest can have a negative rapid strep result even though she might have strep anyway.
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I drive 45mins to go to my 16yodd's ped.

However we do use the Urgent Care that opened up from us. It is 2 mins. away.

Those sound like classic strep symptoms for my kids. Does she have a rash? Did you look in her throat with flashlight?

My youngest can have a negative rapid strep result even though she might have strep anyway.
I thought strep too, but the rapid test came back negative on Monday and I never got a call back to indicate it turned positive after 24 hrs. No rash, her throat is red but she's also really stuffed up, lots of coughing. I started thinking flu when she started vomiting and her fever went up to 102, but she had the shot in November so I thought we were pretty much covered. There's a stomach bug going around too, so it could be any of these I guess. The symptom that the nurse was most interested in was the coughing - my daughter said her chest burns when she coughs.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

So they never swabbed her for the flu, that is something they could have done quickly as well, just to definitively rule it out. Did they schedule you for tomorrow?
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez View Post
So they never swabbed her for the flu, that is something they could have done quickly as well, just to definitively rule it out. Did they schedule you for tomorrow?
We have to go back at 3:30 today, so I have her lying down trying to nap before we have to go back out. The woman at the desk did say that they are seeing quite a few kids with the flu, even ones that have had the vaccine. I thought I read that this year's vaccine was a good match to the strain that's mostly circulating right now.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:

They should have quickly swabbed her again for strep. It takes 1 minute and 5 more for results, no doctor necessary.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
They should have quickly swabbed her again for strep. It takes 1 minute and 5 more for results, no doctor necessary.
Should I ask for that when I go back?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks! Our old pediatrician in NY would have done that too, sigh.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaZee View Post
It was their mistake, they should have seen you during the doctor's lunch break. At our doctors office, they always use the lunch hour to catch up. If the office staff hadn't been willing to allow this, I would have told them that my child will be sitting here in the waiting room coughing on everyone until she is seen. It's not your fault that they mixed it up.

ETA: I wouldn't REALLY have my sick child sit there and cough on the other people in the waiting room, but I would tell the staff that I would just to prove my point.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

I'd be looking for a new pediatrician after this.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey View Post
I'd be looking for a new pediatrician after this.
Tell your little one I said happy birthday
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
mikehn
DIS Veteran

And the doctor has the friggin nerve to charge patients a "missed appointment" fee. I never understood the logic in that
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
jenben8426
Mouseketeer

I have been told that the flu shot you receive only protects you against influenza A. If you have Influenza B that is a virus and is also called the "stomach flu." Influenza B causes the throwing up and you can catch it regardless of the flu shot. They can test for both types of flu with rapid tests so ask or that when you go in!
jenben8426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

I just got over influenza type b and what I had was not the stomach flu at all. I had high fever congestion and horrible cough which I still have almost 3 weeks later. I never heard of type B being stomach flu and the dr acted like it was regular flu and was most concerned with the cough. I didnt feel sick to my stomach or vomit once. My son also had it and same for him.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: