Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Beautiful Tomorrow
Earning My Ears

6-70 years old, family friendly dining?

So we are staying offsite near Lake Beuna Vista Christmas week. Any ideas for a sit down dinner for all ages? ( 6 - 70 yrs old)
Beautiful Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

we took four generations to Crystal palace and we all had a blast..young kiddos, two on ww's diet, a vegetarian, and my dear MIL...who was in her 80s...we had plenty of choices and everyone had fun with the characters...
also had reservations that year at
Biergarten and we enjoyed the music and the food too..

There are so many options..
HAVE FUN

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

How many ppl are in your party? What type of atmosphere are you looking for?

For charater meals, I agree that Crystal Palace is good. So is Biergarten. Its quite decent. Although for a 70 year old, im not sure a buffet is a good idea. At 70 i know my grandma wouldnt be too keen on going up to get food every time. Carrying the plate is another issue. And its silly for me to do it for her since I know what she likes, but there is so much to choose from.

But my true loves are as follows: Via Napoli (omg the pizza!), Tutto Italia (amazing pasta, esp lasagna!), & Chefs/France.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

I agree that some grandmothers cant get up and go and get their own food...but we had no issues with my MIL even though thru out the parks and resorts we had her in a wheelchair and she would walk in the restaurants...

I am a grandma and almost 65...I know five more years makes a difference..hahaha

I think that this was the best way of doing food for a large group...she loved the Luau too...heck she had a long way down to the seat though and hard to get back up..

Hope that the op has a great time with her group..
But a sit down is different then a buffet..

Tutto Italia was fantastic too...and we loved that place..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

I'm assuming that you are talking about dining IN WDW? If that's the case, all of the restuarants are fambly friendly.....
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

I think reality is, an ADR, in two weeks, during the busiest week of the year might be slim pickings. You might have better luck at one of the resort hotels and it would also give you a chance to check out some of the resorts decorations. You can check out what is open on the WDW dining reservation site and go from there.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
I think reality is, an ADR, in two weeks, during the busiest week of the year might be slim pickings. You might have better luck at one of the resort hotels and it would also give you a chance to check out some of the resorts decorations. You can check out what is open on the WDW dining reservation site and go from there.
Yikes, youre right. Busy time!

Just keep in mind that the following places that might have ADRs are quite good:
GF Cafe
The Wave
Captains Grill
Kona
Tutto
Via
Chefs/France
etc.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

We travel with my parents who are in their 70s. I agree with Via Napoli - it is delicious. Also Ohana at the Polynesian. It is a bbq - the food is delicious.

My parents also loved the Garden Cafe at the Grand Floridian.

Enjoy!

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
amym2
DIS Veteran

Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's a buffet and is so yummy! And you can go outside to see the animals before or after your meal. We've eaten there with a large group of varied ages and everyone loved it.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Are you talking ON property THIS Christmas?

If so... it's going to come down more to where you can even get a reservation at this point then being able to pick and choose what you want.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Biergarten. It's a place where we have seen many 'older' folks, 70+ for sure. Many we've talked to are retired snowbirds that drive their RVs down for the winter and spend even two or three months at DW. Anyway, they seem to have the time of their lives there, plus all the while seeing their grandkids having a ball dancing in front the the wonderful German band playing on stage. Great food (and beer!), casual atmosphere, plus it may be one of the easier places for an ADR...at least for lunch.

Hope you have a magical time wherever you go!
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
Beautiful Tomorrow
Earning My Ears

Thank you! These are all great tips! I will call and see what is available. I probably waited too long but I'm hoping some of your suggestions are still available. Thank you!
Beautiful Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
smiths02
DIS Veteran

I know you might not have a lot of choices, we went with my ILs in 2009 who were in their late 60s...they are pretty picky (my FIL doesn't like exotic food)...we were also with a 3 year old

--'Ohana was the standout meal (even FIL loved it)
--My DH and I love Boma, but my FIL wasn't impressed and there is no entertainment
--Crystal Palace dinner--we all enjoyed this very much (eating with characters was great!). The breakfast here is also very good
--We also did Chef Mickey dinner...I wouldn't recommend it...it wasn't horrible, just not that great

Things I wouldn't recommend for a large group:
Sci-Fi...I adore this place, but it is dark and you can't really talk

I wish we could have done Biergarten with our group, but ILs are teetotalers (one of my DH's uncles walked into an Applebee's and said he was a "dang burn saloon" ), so we skipped it
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
jamescanuck2001
Mouseketeer

If downtown disney is an option, Raglan Road would be a good choice too... Interesting place with live Irish music
jamescanuck2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
linlin
practically imperfect in every way

-Magic Kingdom-
I'd suggest Liberty Tree Tavern for Dinner.
It is usually pretty low key and the chances of it being full up any day are quite slim.
It is all you care to eat but served at table. The food is your usual Thanksgiving fare and is very very tasty.

-Epcot-
The Garden Grill is another place that often gets passed on because of all the food options in World Showcase. It is another all you care to eat with steak, turkey and fish for adults and the usual favorites for the little ones. It is a character dining but it is a lot quieter than the Crystal Palace or Chief Mickey's.

-Hollywood Studios-
50s Prime Time cafe will be nostalgia for the older folks and something to laugh at for the kids ( have them keep their elbows on the table and see who'll be laughing then). The fare is comfort foods and well made ones at that.

-Animal Kingdom-
Avoid Eating here when possible. They have some decent food choices but the chances of pleasing everyone at the same establishment will be very slim. I've heard good things about the Character Breakfast at Tusker house...
linlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: