Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
my2boyz
Mouseketeer

Does anyone avoid Buffets?

Anyone avoid these due to the fact that others can be so gross and careless with cleanliness etc while touching spoons/food? We ate at one for dinner and our DD2 got sick(vomiting) that night she had been fine all day leading up to dinner and was fine even after since this was our night of MVMCP. We got home around 11:00 so she slept for a bit, but was restless. Just about 2 in the morning the poor thing was sick all over the bed. We then cancelled our other buffet meal and got another res somewhere else. All she ate was the mac and cheese and a few peas.
We have now sworn off of buffet esp when you really think about it and watch everyone there.
I must add we were very good with hand washing and sanitizing and no one else was sick in our party.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Honestly, people are germy all over the park. There is no way to know that it was from a buffet.

I will probably not go back to Chef Mickey because I saw that no one controlled kids going to the buffet (neither the CMs or their parents)

But I am not scared away from buffets overall

I do have to say...over our 3 trips, we have been to Boma x2, Crystal Palace x 3, Chef Mickey's, Cape May, 1900 Park Fare, Tusker House x2...and no one in our party (including once with a 2 year old) got sick.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Soben
Mouseketeer

Yes, we totally avoid buffets especially on vacation. We're not germaphobes, at home we've been known to use the 3 second rule. Buffets aren't worth it to us because we don't really want to eat a ton, most of the food has that "sitting out" taste versus freshly cooked food brought to you. So giving them up isn't a sacrifice to me.

Even if people and kids don't do anything crazy like stick their hands in the trays, they are still touching the tongs and spoons. When you touch them and go back to your table, odds are you aren't rewashing your hands each time.

When they plate you up in a restaurant, odds are they wash their hands and use plastic gloves. I know people say it's bad back there. But at least they're trying and have policies in place. I think the odds are better.

Just our take.
Soben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

I kind of figure once I have touched all the door handles, furniture, bus seats, railings, money, turnstiles, etc. etc. I am getting all the germ exposure anyway. There is no way of knowing where a bug came from. Stomach bugs incubate anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days.

My DD likes buffets where she can pick and choose and change her mind. I don't worry that they are going to make me sick any more than I worry that the 2 year old in front of me in line for a ride is going to make me sick. Or the grandmother behind me. Or the teenager who bumped into me. Or anyone/anything else.

I might prefer plated food in general, but in WDW we do a mix of traditional sit down and buffet for our TS.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotMuchofaTail View Post
I kind of figure once I have touched all the door handles, furniture, bus seats, railings, money, turnstiles, etc. etc. I am getting all the germ exposure anyway. There is no way of knowing where a bug came from. Stomach bugs incubate anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days.

My DD likes buffets where she can pick and choose and change her mind. I don't worry that they are going to make me sick any more than I worry that the 2 year old in front of me in line for a ride is going to make me sick. Or the grandmother behind me. Or the teenager who bumped into me. Or anyone/anything else.

I might prefer plated food in general, but in WDW we do a mix of traditional sit down and buffet for our TS.
Ditto - unfortunately there is absolutely no way to be certain that it was the buffet that caused the illness
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
mbtohill
Mouseketeer

We have been to Beirgarten and Tusker House multiple times and have never had anyone get sick (knocking on wood). I would agree with many of the other posters, germs are everywhere, TS, CS and buffet.
Beach Club - May '12, May '14
Swan & Dolphin - Oct/11, Oct/12 Food & Wine
Beach Club - Oct '13 Food & Wine
Swan - Dec '13
Next Visit- Swan Oct '14 for Food & Wine
Next Next Visit - POR Dec '14

Me 47, DW 43, DD 13, DD 11
mbtohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

We don't do buffets at home, but when in Disney, for us, they are a must. Lots of the character meals are buffet, and with kids, ya gotta do character meals!
I have the hand sanatizer on my belt loop, so we always use it right before we eat, and if you want to go really crazy, just use a sani wipe when holding the buffet spoons. Not only are you saving yourself, but your helping the next person as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

We avoid them for the most part. Biergarten is the exception figuring that a couple litres of beer will kill the bacteria

I've experienced too many food items in the temperature "Danger Zone", which is between 40-140 degrees.

I'm far from a germaphobe, but buffets have huge red flags for me.

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55
I have the hand sanatizer on my belt loop, so we always use it right before we eat, and if you want to go really crazy, just use a sani wipe when holding the buffet spoons. Not only are you saving yourself, but your helping the next person as well.
Unless you would lick the sani wipe, please reconsider using it on the buffet spoons! The idea of those extra chemicals making it into my dinner is just icky!

We generally avoid buffets since I'm not a huge eater, but we love dinner at Boma! I don't worry that much about the germs. They are already everywhere. I don't think a few serving utensils will make that much of a difference.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55 View Post
We don't do buffets at home, but when in Disney, for us, they are a must. Lots of the character meals are buffet, and with kids, ya gotta do character meals!
Please do NOT do this. I don't want those chemicals right there in the food. You also do not know if the person after you may be allergic to. It is just not cool to use chemicals like that on items that are not yours and will be used by others.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

not going to the buffets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Please do NOT do this. I don't want those chemicals right there in the food. You also do not know if the person after you may be allergic to. It is just not cool to use chemicals like that on items that are not yours and will be used by others.
I can take em or leave em. My parents took me to a lot of buffets some good some bad. That beening said i take my wipes and before i eat i wipe my hands with them. Any one who has been on a disney cruise they give you a wipe before you enter any resturant.
2012 WDW Riverside Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Room. Disney cruiseline The Fantasy. 2007 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise pier hotel. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French quater. 2002 WDW@ Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Cruiseline The Wonder. 2000 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. Disneyland 1999 1998,1996 2013 WDW Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest A proud Disney stock holder. A fan for life of the Seattle Mariners and the Seattle Seahawks 2014 superbowl champions
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

I avoid Disney buffets because the cost doesn't translate to quality. Over the last 10 years the Disney buffets has diminished in quality and offerings to the point that it's the same tasteless glop offered every where. The only exception I've found is Boma, we really still enjoy the different foods that are well prepared, served hot and fresh.

Other than for a character ( Tusker House) dining experience for the little ones, I skip most buffets!

As far as germs, at least at Boma and Tusker House I haven't seen too much unsanitary activity that might result in an apocalyptic plague!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

I avoid them just because I like to sit down and be served fresh food. If I wanted to stand in line for slop warmed under a heat lamp, I'd eat at counter service spots and spend considerably less time and money.

We had breakfast at Fresh Mediterranean Market on our last visit and it was the most disappointing meal of our trip, not to mention a time suck. It was our first buffet in all our trips and will likely be our last for quite some time.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Melissa View Post
If I wanted to stand in line for slop warmed under a heat lamp, I'd eat at counter service spots and spend considerably less time and money.
Wow, feel very strongly about eating at a buffet?? For your information it is not *slop* warmed under a heat lamp.

OP, to answer your question - no, we do not avoid them because we have a few like Cape May and Boma that we love. One thing we do is always make a ressie for when they first open (that works great for us as we are early dinner diners).

Also, doubt that your child was sickened by the mac & cheese, and peas, as there would have been *many* children so affected that it would have been known. Really, one of the worst (not only) germy things are the hand rails in the queues. There's so many germs floating around in large crowds like Disney, that it's amazing more people are not sickened. That's why I hate to see people bring infants and small babies there Yikes, don't slam me - just said that was *my* opinion.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

We do not avoid buffets. I love buffets for breakfast. Crystal Palace, Cape May, and Tusker are my faves.

For lunch or dinner I prefer TS restaurants for sure. I realised that for dinner I have enjoyed my meals far more at TS rather than buffets and AYCE. The quality is so much better when ordering from a menu. Thats just what ive observed for lunch/dinner. Only two lunch/dinner buffets I thought was decent, Biergarten & CP. Nothing wow'd me. But it was good.

OP, as others have already mentioned, germs are everywhere. Not just buffets. You really cant prove that the buffet is to blame for the illness. Sorry your DD got sick thou.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: