Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
 
Callie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,456

Did I donate enough?

My work, a retail store, decided to adopt a school this year instead of a family. Our ASM wife works at a school, and many of the children don't have winter coats etc when they go outside to recess. So as a store, we are buying one size each of a winter coat for boys and girls, as well as gloves, hats and scarves.

So far I've purchased.
A winter coat (valued at $50 but I got a good deal)
two pairs of knit gloves
two hats
two scarves
I want to do more, but I'm pretty much a poor college student. I'm debating purchasing another coat.
So far, the only other people who have purchased stuff is full-time managers.
__________________
Addicted to Disney Since I was Two!
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,514

How awesome of you!! It doesn't have to be full coats if you'd like to save money. I bet you could find good deals on generic sweatshirts or long t-shirts that would also help be an extra layer for not as much money.
sonnyjane is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
My work, a retail store, decided to adopt a school this year instead of a family. Our ASM wife works at a school, and many of the children don't have winter coats etc when they go outside to recess. So as a store, we are buying one size each of a winter coat for boys and girls, as well as gloves, hats and scarves.

So far I've purchased.
A winter coat (valued at $50 but I got a good deal)
two pairs of knit gloves
two hats
two scarves
I want to do more, but I'm pretty much a poor college student. I'm debating purchasing another coat.
So far, the only other people who have purchased stuff is full-time managers.
That's awesome!

If you can afford another coat, that'd be great I'm sure, but if you can't and still want to do more, could you maybe get socks? You can find those pretty cheap and if someone doesn't have winter gear a lot of times they don't have newer/good socks. It's not something you'd spend money replacing if money were tight.

Are you guys getting other stuff for the school or kids? Maybe you could encourage some of your colleagues to go in together on stuff like two could buy a coat, or buy littler stuff like packs of paper, pencils, crayons, etc.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
 
Callie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
That's awesome!

If you can afford another coat, that'd be great I'm sure, but if you can't and still want to do more, could you maybe get socks? You can find those pretty cheap and if someone doesn't have winter gear a lot of times they don't have newer/good socks. It's not something you'd spend money replacing if money were tight.

Are you guys getting other stuff for the school or kids? Maybe you could encourage some of your colleagues to go in together on stuff like two could buy a coat, or buy littler stuff like packs of paper, pencils, crayons, etc.
We are kind of focusing on the outerwear stuff. But I might ask him to ask his wife if they need school supplies as well. I have a ton I got for cheap earlier this year, and my mom has some as well since she is a teacher.
I might throw in a pair of cozy socks. Keep their feet warm! I plan on asking my grandma if she wants to help as well. I'm kind of upset more people haven't spent 2 bucks on a pair of gloves, or a scarf!
__________________
Addicted to Disney Since I was Two!
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
jlima
Beep Beep!
 
jlima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,411

How many students does the school have; and how many employees does your store have? Was the plan for each employee to purchase more than one to accommodate everybody? It sounds like you've been very generous. I would wait until the end of the drive; if they are short and need more coats then I would donate another if the price is right.
__________________
DS17 & DS11 on the Teacups at DL!

Port Orleans Nov 91 (Honeymoon!) • Dolphin Nov 99 • Dolphin & 7 day Magic cruise July 01 • HRH & Poly June 04 • HRH May 05 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 05 • HRH Sept 06 • Wilderness Lodge July 07 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 08 • HRH & Coronado Springs Dec 08 • HRH, Wilderness Lodge & 6 day Christmas Magic Cruise '11 • DL AP holder since 1989!!
jlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!
 
Mkrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philly Suburbs!!!!
Posts: 10,620

I agree with the previous poster, wait until the end of the drive and fill in the holes if you can afford to. They may have an overabundance of pink gloves and could use some boy ones or whatever. Regardless you give what you can afford at the time. Your donation sounds wonderful as it stands now.

My older son's school fill stockings for a Christmas party for foster kids who are medically fragile. I sent in some donations. When I went to the stuffing night, I realized that not many people sent stuff in for older teen boys. I wish I had known that, I would have sent more stuff in.

But you know what now I know for next year and I can get some of that stuff as well. I did send what I could afford, but it breaks your heart to see a need and you want to fill it!
__________________
DH Me DS16 : DS11
2002 Contemporary
April -May 2007 Contemporary
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund
 
NHdisneylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany (formally from New Hampshire)
Posts: 13,969

It is really sweet of you to put so much thought and time as well as your limited monetary resources into making the donations. I agree with the PPs that waiting to the end and filling in holes is a great thing to do, IF you have more you can spare. If not, you have certainly done your part.

I do caution you not to be so critical of those not spending "2 bucks for a pair of gloves or a scarf"

MANY many organizations are asking for things and for money right now. $2 here and $5 there and even $1 at a time adds up. Some people prefer to donate in bits and pieces like that. Others ether chose not to or are on very tight budgets and truly are unable. Others (myself included) may chose to put their donations towards particular charities they have a long standing history with and donate one or two larger blocks of money or goods there. Someone not buying gloves for the charity you boss decided to support does not mean that the person is uncaring or not willing to help others--it may jsut mean they help a different charty or in different ways
__________________
Hadley

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM
 
Becky2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
Posts: 5,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
My older son's school fill stockings for a Christmas party for foster kids who are medically fragile. I sent in some donations. When I went to the stuffing night, I realized that not many people sent stuff in for older teen boys. I wish I had known that, I would have sent more stuff in.
I like the idea of waiting to see what needs to be filled in!

My daughter is a patient at Shriners and we learned, older teens tend to be forgotten (they go up to age 18 - 21) as well as newborns! Seems, everyone instantly thinks "Childrens Hospital = 8 - 10 year olds"...luckily for us, she's a kid at heart so the ducky blanket she got when she went in for surgery was great (although super short since it wasn't made for a teen)...however, if I were a 16 year old boy -- don't think that would have made him feel too good.

I talked to the Donations Coordinator & she did say those were the 2 groups almost everyone forgets about -- newborns & older teens.

I have a feeling it is probably that way with most charity drives...so depending on what age the school goes up to, I would fill in if you feel you want to give more. I would also make sure to get a variety of sizes. I know at our grade school, I have known kids that were tiny but I have also known kids that were tall as the adults in 1st/2nd grade even!!!!! They could easily wear adult sized coats & my guess is both ends of the spectrum are going to be forgotten and you will get lots of the average sizes.
__________________
Becky Our Family's First Trip 7/11-7/18, 2005
"The DIS makes my family seem normal" -thanks wvjules
-DD - DS16 -DS13 -DS10

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo

I buy starbucks and go out for lunch.

Last year, we had an annual conferece. At the end, they gave each of us a piece of paper. You had to pledge your donation to St. Jude Children's hospital before you could leave. I and another manager were about the only two who made it clear that we wouldn't donate and left. I am sure there were people judging me.

I have nothing against St. Jude. It's just not in my budget which includes enough donation to other charities.
Good for you! No one should be forced to donate to anything. Give what you are comfortable with to who you wish. In my house my husband and I each donate to different things. I would not expect him to donate to my causes and he does not expect me to donate to his.
__________________
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 411

I also donate at Starbucks, so the hard-working employees can keep their jobs. In exchange, they give me a cup of coffee. Win-win!!
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!
 
Mkrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philly Suburbs!!!!
Posts: 10,620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
I also donate at Starbucks, so the hard-working employees can keep their jobs. In exchange, they give me a cup of coffee. Win-win!!
Not juding...but you can also donate at the Gap or the Children's Place or Sears, buy a hat or gloves, have those hard working people keep their jobs as well, and donate to the charity...that would be win-win-win!

I seriously dont care what charity one chooses to donate to or not donate to but I feel comparing donating to buying a cup of coffee is silly to this discussion.
__________________
DH Me DS16 : DS11
2002 Contemporary
April -May 2007 Contemporary
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
Not juding...but you can also donate at the Gap or the Children's Place or Sears, buy a hat or gloves, have those hard working people keep their jobs as well, and donate to the charity...that would be win-win-win!

I seriously dont care what charity one chooses to donate to or not donate to but I feel comparing donating to buying a cup of coffee is silly to this discussion.
Perhaps you missed the sarcasm intended in my post. I'll be more direct: I spend my money as I choose. How my colleagues spend theirs is none of my business.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund
 
NHdisneylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany (formally from New Hampshire)
Posts: 13,969

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo View Post
I buy starbucks and go out for lunch.

Last year, we had an annual conferece. At the end, they gave each of us a piece of paper. You had to pledge your donation to St. Jude Children's hospital before you could leave. I and another manager were about the only two who made it clear that we wouldn't donate and left. I am sure there were people judging me.

I have nothing against St. Jude. It's just not in my budget which includes enough donation to other charities.
Wow.How awful to try to force people nto donating like that--good for you and you and the other manager for refusing to be manipulated like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Donate more if you want to donate more, but please don't judge others on how much you see them donating. Perhaps that person drinking the Starbucks donated five coats and twelve toys at his church because he knows that the gifts from there will be donated to someone in his church. Just because you don't see the participating doesn't meant that they aren't. And even if they aren't, it's not really your business.

Honestly, I get stretched thin this time of year with all the various charities asking for donations. I give some now, but I save the bulk of my donation budget for other times of year, especially the money I donate to the food bank...I have read so many times that they get so much food this time of year, but then during other times of the year (like in the summer) their shelves get very bare...so I make a point to make by biggest donation then. Maybe your coworkers are doing the same.
I am the same way. Between Christmas and 5 6 family birthdays (including both of our own kids) this tme of year we have little leftover--but we give about as much as we spend on the holdays during each other quarter of the year to organizations we care about and who can use the help year round
__________________
Hadley

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!
 
Mkrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philly Suburbs!!!!
Posts: 10,620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
Perhaps you missed the sarcasm intended in my post. I'll be more direct: I spend my money as I choose. How my colleagues spend theirs is none of my business.
I didnt miss it...you can certainly choose to spend how you see fit I was just offering an alternative that inluded 3 wins!
__________________
DH Me DS16 : DS11
2002 Contemporary
April -May 2007 Contemporary
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Too far from Disney
Posts: 15,688

You donated quite nicely, if you want to donate more, then do so as long as you can afford it.

As for your co workers, as others have said, you have no idea what they have donated to other charities or what their situation is. They might have family members in need, they might have other charities they donate to, they might have all they can handle paying their bills and clothing their children. That cup of coffee you seem to begrudge them might be the one thing that keeps them sane and happy. You just don't know.

My work has a donations box for toys that will be donated to a worthy cause. I haven't put one in and won't simply because I am doing a couple of toys for Toys for Tots. If I come in carrying a Starbucks one time too many but no toy, I hope my co workers won't judge me harsly.
__________________
Have stayed at: Poly, OKW, CBR, CSR, POR, POFQ, Pop, ASMO, ASSP, ASMU, BWV, SSR, DLH, GCH & PP. And seven wonderful nights on the Magic!
Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.