Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
KateDinVA
Earning My Ears

Smile The Most Magical Way to Have a Baby??

I have a friend whose extended family has been planning a big trip to WDW for next summer. Only problem? She just found out she will be 40 weeks the week of their trip.

She was asking for OB recommendations in Orlando, and will be traveling with a midwife. I have no knowledge of Orlando OBs, but offered some tongue-in-cheek suggestions:

Magic Kingdom, out of the way: Carousel of Progress or Hall of Presidents; most magical: Cinderella's Castle; bonus skill points: Space Mountain (bonus for getting them to let you on, first of all)

Hollywood Studios - OOTW: Indiana Jones or Beauty & the Beast theater between shows; Iconic: Great American Movie Ride (skill points if you time it for "Alien" scene)

Animal Kingdom- OOTW: Rafiki's conservation station (bonus! Vets on hand!)(and Rafiki on hand for baby dedications!); iconic: waiting area for Bugs Life movie at Tree of Life; bonus points: Dino Spin (harness the power of centripetal force!)

Epcot - OOTW: any circle vision movie our the nearly deserted Captain EO; Iconic: American Pavilion (bonus! Your baby would be a double American!); bonus points: Soarin' (I would say impossible, but you are amazing)

Caution! Avoid at all costs having your baby on It's a Small World! Where do you think those singing children come from???

------------
What would you add? And did you or has anyone you know gone into labor/delivered onsite??
KateDinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I found the body of your post very amusing, but am still trying to wrap my head around athe idea of a woman who would want to travel when she is due to have a baby. I can't imagine any OB or midwife who would advocate such a thing. I am assuming she is planning on driving, since NO airline would allow her on board.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

I like how she "just found out she will be 40 weeks pregnant on a trip"...

BTW, she should understand trip may not happen for her, it is not uncommon to give birth a bit sooner.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

I understand this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek/funny but really? I hope she really doesn't plan to risk giving birth in such a crowded (and germy) place. I'm shocked her regular OB would even OK her to travel that late.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
dmdelight
Mouseketeer

surely no-one would plan to go anywhere at 40 weeks pregnant?!
dmdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

If you gave birth in one of the countries of World Showcase, would your child have dual citizenship??????
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Peaseblossom
Mouseketeer

At 40 weeks, I would choose tent camping in the Arctic with hungry polar bears over Disney in the summer.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaseblossom View Post
At 40 weeks, I would choose tent camping in the Arctic with hungry polar bears over Disney in the summer.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
LaniesMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaseblossom View Post
^^Yes, this!! Having been hugely pregnant through one of the hottest summers in Chicago history this past summer (gave birth Sept. 5th to a 10# baby girl) ITA! I like the way you think, Peaseblossom. Thanks for making me
Next trip: May 2013--Happy Birthday to me! POR RGR

Me DH DD(4) DD(infant) our family is complete!
LaniesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Babbletrish
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMe View Post
I understand this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek/funny but really? I hope she really doesn't plan to risk giving birth in such a crowded (and germy) place. I'm shocked her regular OB would even OK her to travel that late.
It's Disney World! Even the busiest toilets are clean enough to do surgery in!

As far as who should deliver the baby if for some reason the midwife is not available:

The Dapper Dans - The more help the merrier, plus your baby would be sung into this world in four-part harmony!

Wreck-It Ralph - He's a big softy, but those giant hands could be... problematic...

Belle - "Enchanted Tales" would be an interesting place indeed for the magical moment to happen, and Belle would get to prove she isn't just book-smart.

Rafiki - Has experience with bringing babies into the world, just make sure there aren't any cliffs in the vicinity.

Ariel - Pro: Apparently water births are more natural and stuff. Con: She thinks we use forks for grooming. I don't even want to imagine what Scuttle's been telling her about human biology...

That Gynecologist Droid from the end of Episode Three (who is technically a Disney character now) - NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow - Always carries rum around, which is good for sanitation in a pinch and certainly more effective than an epidural.

Maleficent - Just a bad, bad idea all around, given her history with babies. But she's still less scary than the Gynecologist Droid.

Vermithrax Pegoritive - Now, wait, she's a mom too! And given the thousands of eggs in her lair, she probably has decent experience with babies.

Roger Rabbit - In the offhand chance he is even allowed out of the vault, it's up in the air as to whether he'd be any help at all. Good with babies, but seems to be a disaster magnet.

Fairy Godmother - On the surface, she looks like a good choice. On the other hand, she likes to turn things into other things without asking first. That could get ugly.

As for when to time the magical moment, the Great Movie Ride/"Alien" idea is hilarious, but how about Illuminations? You can pretend you're having a Millennium Baby!
Babbletrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

While it is a funny scenario, it's not very funny that your friend is actually planning to travel at 40 weeks pregnant. Her family should really consider moving the trip up a lot sooner, or there may be no trip at all if she delivers early. What a gigantic waste of money that would be if they had to cancel right before, or if she goes into labor while on the trip and has to spend a couple of days in the hospital/hotel room.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Having had three births, I would definitely question the sanity of the mom to be to travel *anywhere* at 40 weeks, also anyone encouraging her to travel with them Sure hope this is a joke (and a poor one at that).

Can't believe any OB or midwife worth delivering a baby would sanction such an action either.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

I think she should try for during the Rope Drop show at Magic Kingdom. This is really a win win! Her baby gets a truly proper welcome into the world (bonus points her baby gets welcomed into the world and Disney world at the same time!), and mom can just head on into the park and tour after she's taken care of that pesky labor/delivery thing!

DH me DS 10 DD 8

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
JUJU814
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Having had three births, I would definitely question the sanity of the mom to be to travel *anywhere* at 40 weeks, also anyone encouraging her to travel with them Sure hope this is a joke (and a poor one at that).

Can't believe any OB or midwife worth delivering a baby would sanction such an action either.
JUJU814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbletrish View Post

The Dapper Dans - The more help the merrier, plus your baby would be sung into this world in four-part harmony!
Now that's what I call an umbilical chord!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: