Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
minniebride
DIS Veteran

Leaving Infant in the car.....

Today when I was shopping, I saw a woman run into the pizza place we were eating at to pick up take out. She was parked right up front, steps from the store. I noticed her child still buckled in the carseat in the car-the child was sleeping. The lady was gone from her car all of 5 minutes to pick up her food.

I am a new mom and I am so paranoid about leaving my baby even for a minute so I can use the bathroom & I bring my video monitor with me!!

Is it typical for people to do what this mom did?
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

There have been several threads of this nature during my time on the DIS, and general consensus is that some people would. Some people would not. Some people would call the police if they saw someone else do it.

I don't think it's "typical behavior," but I also don't think taking the video monitor in while you pee to monitor a newborn is "typical behavior" either... but everyone does what they feel comfortable with.

As for whether or not I'd do it, probably not. But if I knew I'd only be a few minutes, could see the car/child from where I'd be and could leave immediately if my child needed me (all of which sound possible in the scenario you mentioned), I might. I would always lock the car and turn the motor off though.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

My son is 19 now. I did that once that i remember when he was a baby. Same thing...take out. I stood next to the window while they got my order ready to go and watched him. Not typical behavior for me, but I did do it.

Last edited by HM; 12-09-2012 at 04:09 PM.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Didn't ever do that with either of ours. Just recently started to leave the 12 year old in the car in charge of the 7 year old under those circumstances. Still won't for a trip inside where they'd be out of view.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

I had twins and it was a big hassle deal to get them in and out of the car. So I usually ran my errands at night when DH was home. I did one time stop at a yard sale to look at something and they were in the car (toddlers at the time, so sitting up) and I left them in the car with the windows down just a few yards from where I was at (parked on the street, and I was on the driveway looking at something). Some woman came over to the car poked her head in and starting saying poor babies! (It wasn't hot that day either, and I was only on the drive way for about a minute before she did that). When I saw her do that, I went right back to the car and left with my twins. I never did that again.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

When I was a child it was common for parents to leave their kids in the car to run inside a store, post office, bank, etc.

But nowdays, not so much. I would never leave an infant in the car while I ran inside to pick up a pizza. I would either leave the baby home with Dad or another relative, friend, etc. or I would go to a drive-up window to pick up fast food, or I would cook at home. I just wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a baby alone in a car, even for a minute. But, I wouldn't call the police if I saw someone else do it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Pipkin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Didn't ever do that with either of ours. Just recently started to leave the 12 year old in the car in charge of the 7 year old under those circumstances. Still won't for a trip inside where they'd be out of view.
Wow, where do you live? I was babysitting at 12.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

I guess I'm a 'terrible' mom. I leave my youngest almost everyday in the car (turned off, no keys, doors locked) while I walk my oldest up the LONG sidewalk that leads to his school. And-I do this 2x per day-In and Out!
1. I'm in a school zone so the speed limit is 10mph and I'm not really concerned with someone hitting my car parked along the side of the road.
2. It's a school zone and the only people that are there are dropping off their own kids and most likely wouldn't want to go home with any 'extras'.
3. There are a lot of people around and it would be very very obvious if someone was trying to break into my car.

If we walk to school I also leave him in his stroller right outside the door (windowed) when I have to go sign out the oldest. There is no stroller ramp and for the 25 seconds it takes to sign my initials and collect my son I really can't see unstrapping the baby and carrying him in and out. If you know what it's like to get a toddler into/out of a stroller you'd agree with this.

Also, to the PP who said she used to let her sleeping kids stay sleeping in the driveway-I do this too! With my older one though, not the baby. I only get scared that he'll wake up and be scared-not that he will get hurt or anything. I crack the windows or leave the door open and only do this during the day. I keep my eye on him too. I'm not a complete loon!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
Wow, where do you live? I was babysitting at 12.
Mine juuuuuust turned 12 and it's a little different with siblings that grew up as "equals" than with someone else's kids. Oldest is allowed to stay home alone. We won't let her watch her sister 'til next year.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
There have been several threads of this nature during my time on the DIS, and general consensus is that some people would. Some people would not. Some people would call the police if they saw someone else do it.

I don't think it's "typical behavior," but I also don't think taking the video monitor in while you pee to monitor a newborn is "typical behavior" either... but everyone does what they feel comfortable with.

As for whether or not I'd do it, probably not. But if I knew I'd only be a few minutes, could see the car/child from where I'd be and could leave immediately if my child needed me (all of which sound possible in the scenario you mentioned), I might. I would always lock the car and turn the motor off though.
Well said!

If parenting has taught me one thing, it is to not be so judgemental of other parents.

I know I've had wonderful days and some pretty crappy ones. My kids have had good days and bad. I've had compliments on their behavior and glaring looks on other days.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

A guy just did that here in CT last week, ran into the store to grab chips and a drink and his car and child were gone.
Thankfully the thief brought the baby to a friends house and the friend took him to the police station.

I never left my kids in the car, I will now if DS16 is with them but he locks the doors as soon as I shut my door. I won't even leave them in the driveway if I need to run back in the house for something.

ETA: I did rip apart a lady once for leaving her kids in the car with it on to run into our local Starbucks. The kids were sleeping was her reason for leaving them. Wanna know the kicker? The Starbucks had a flippin' drive-thru!!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
A guy just did that here in CT last week, ran into the store to grab chips and a drink and his car and child were gone.
Thankfully the thief brought the baby to a friends house and the friend took him to the police station.

I never left my kids in the car, I will now if DS16 is with them but he locks the doors as soon as I shut my door. I won't even leave them in the driveway if I need to run back in the house for something.

ETA: I did rip apart a lady once for leaving her kids in the car with it on to run into our local Starbucks. The kids were sleeping was her reason for leaving them. Wanna know the kicker? The Starbucks had a flippin' drive-thru!!
So you moderate parking lots too
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I'm sure I've done it before, in a similar circumstance (car in my vision, locked, quick in and out). However, I've never felt the need to monitor my kids while peeing. Honestly, I don't get how new parents can't shower. Put the baby in the crib - worst case scenario is the baby cries a bit. I'm glad I had my twins last - I don't even think I owned a baby monitor by that point!

I probably put my kids in more harm's way dragging them through parking lots when they were little!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post

Sure, but does it have a drive-through bathroom? jk

I remember having to leave DD in her carseat one time because of a pump problem. I always did pay-at-the-pump, so it freaked me out to have to walk up to the counter for whatever the reason was. I guess I could have taken her out, but it was literally no more than a minute or two and I could see the car out the window the entire time! Still made me nervous, and what I do remember is thinking they will think I am a robber or something because I look so nervous and am in such a rush! Some of us may be overly cautious these days.

It's a tough call sometimes.
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Growing up I can remember my own mother leaving us in the car when she was running quick errands. That being said, I wouldn't leave my baby in the car alone. Too many crazies out there these days.
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: