DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran
 
tripletsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 972

Does anyone wash the comforters?

Is it true that Disney hotels don't wash the comforters/bed spreads between guests? Does anyone wash them upon arriving in the room? We always get a 2 bedroom, so we have a washer/dryer, but would they fit in a standard size washer?
__________________
Me DH DD8 DD8 DD8DS 2
tripletsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran
 
MouseMomx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,351

We do not wash them.

They will not fit in the stackable washers that most DVC units have. I believe they are also too large for the full-size washers. You could call Housekeeping and ask for new ones if it matters that much to you.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
We do not wash them.

They will not fit in the stackable washers that most DVC units have. I believe they are also too large for the full-size washers. You could call Housekeeping and ask for new ones if it matters that much to you.
We usually take them off and put them in the corner or closet for the week. I kind of wish nobody had ever let me know how absolutely disgusting they are in the first place. But now it is too late to "unlearn" what I know...
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran
 
tripletsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 972

I need to do some unlearning too! Love that word. I guess we'll go with the put the blankets in the corner of the room plan. Will they bring you extra regular blankets or is that one of the things they charge for?
__________________
Me DH DD8 DD8 DD8DS 2
tripletsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
joeyrose
Mouseketeer
 
joeyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 124

i keep them on the bed for warmth, but try not to sit on them, lay clothes on them, etc. i think it is unreasonable to expect housekeeping to wash these things except periodically, but we all know that they're probably disgusting under close inspection.
joeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran
 
MouseMomx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrose View Post
i keep them on the bed for warmth, but try not to sit on them, lay clothes on them, etc. i think it is unreasonable to expect housekeeping to wash these things except periodically, but we all know that they're probably disgusting under close inspection.
So are so many things we come in contact with on a daily basis. Personally, I've lived 40+ years not worrying about hotel bedspreads and I'm not going to start now. The only difference is that now all of the germs have been publicized...but they were always there. Of course everyone should do what makes them feel comfortable. As for me, it's not a big deal.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
fishermouse
DVC owner SSR/AKV
 
fishermouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.E. PA.
Posts: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2

So are so many things we come in contact with on a daily basis. Personally, I've lived 40+ years not worrying about hotel bedspreads and I'm not going to start now. The only difference is that now all of the germs have been publicized...but they were always there. Of course everyone should do what makes them feel comfortable. As for me, it's not a big deal.
Just spray a little lysol around, has not killed me yet
__________________
SAVE A LIFE ADOPT A HOMELESS PET

fishermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
joeyrose
Mouseketeer
 
joeyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermouse View Post
Just spray a little lysol around, has not killed me yet
i must have my lysol to go through through the villa initially...even bought a big can with my grocery order from wegoshop the end of november. "lysol kills the germs other people leave behind"...their slogan when i was growing up. a must for some, particularly me with my ocd. geez, i shoulda sprayed the bedspread!
joeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermouse View Post
Just spray a little lysol around, has not killed me yet
This is what we do also. We delouse the room when we first check in and don't worry about it again. We also throw the comforters into the closet and we bring our own blankets and pillows.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2

So are so many things we come in contact with on a daily basis. Personally, I've lived 40+ years not worrying about hotel bedspreads and I'm not going to start now. The only difference is that now all of the germs have been publicized...but they were always there. Of course everyone should do what makes them feel comfortable. As for me, it's not a big deal.
This is really so true, in general. But it isn't the germs, per se, that get to me. It is more just the thought of what has been done and deposited on the comforter that I don't really want to think of. But no, I don't think you are likely to be harmed by it.

Do check for bed bugs though. Those are a real problem if you encounter them.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran
 
tripletsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 972

I'm sure it's one of those things im just over thinking. Would love to know they're clean though.
__________________
Me DH DD8 DD8 DD8DS 2
tripletsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!
 
DisneyDudet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 897

When I see them cleaning between guests, I see the carts have clean comforters... I swear. Even at non-DVC resorts.
__________________

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)


Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran
 
tripletsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDudet
When I see them cleaning between guests, I see the carts have clean comforters... I swear. Even at non-DVC resorts.
I assumed they change them on some kind of rotating basis. Let's say once a month. So yes, they would have to have comforters on the carts for the rooms due to be changed. This wouldn't mean all rooms are due to be changed, however. Obviously I don't work for Disney, so I'm not sure of the actual process.
__________________
Me DH DD8 DD8 DD8DS 2
tripletsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
DonnaL
DIS Veteran
 
DonnaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE PA
Posts: 2,227

Since we're on the subject of the comforters having all sorts of germs.......please do not use the jacuzzi tub in the one and two bdrm units w/o sanitizing them....the stuff in those is probably more dangerous to you than the comforters. They're really very simple to sanitize.......especially if you order groceries or stop for a grocery order before check-in since you do need bleach......simply add one to two cups of liquid bleach to a tub filled above the jets and turn it on......let run for about 15 minutes and then drain, refill and run a clean rinse thru for the same amount of time. If you don't do this.........you are literally taking a bath with whomever used that tub before you...YUK! At least that's what our hot tub repairman told me years ago.....sounds plausible to me.
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 45,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaL View Post
Since we're on the subject of the comforters having all sorts of germs.......please do not use the jacuzzi tub in the one and two bdrm units w/o sanitizing them....the stuff in those is probably more dangerous to you than the comforters. They're really very simple to sanitize.......especially if you order groceries or stop for a grocery order before check-in since you do need bleach......simply add one to two cups of liquid bleach to a tub filled above the jets and turn it on......let run for about 15 minutes and then drain, refill and run a clean rinse thru for the same amount of time. If you don't do this.........you are literally taking a bath with whomever used that tub before you...YUK! At least that's what our hot tub repairman told me years ago.....sounds plausible to me.
So what do you do in the hot tub and pool?
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: