Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
lucigo
DIS Veteran

I love it so I'm now giving it for Christmas!

What is that one thing that you have that you love so much that you want to tell the world how much you love it, and buy all of your friends one for Christmas?

We all have that person we just don't know what to give, so I figured I would start this in hopes of finding some great ideas. I will start with two things that I loved so much that I wondered how I ever lived without them, and ended up buying for a family member.

1. Swiffer Vac. I was skeptical and bought it with the idea that I would take it back if it didn't perform. Boy was I surprised! If you have dogs you HAVE to have one of these!!! My daughter's aussie produces as much hair as both of my aussies so I had to get her one

2. Electric foot warmer mat. For that person who works at a computer all day, warm feet equal warm hands!! (I'm a medical transcriptionist). I just bought my mother one who also complains of being cold at the computer, and my sister who just started working at home!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
pink_fins
I live under the sea with Nemo and friends

I have purchased for a lot of friends a ceramic chicken steamer from Fleet Farm here in WI. It is a as seen on tv brand by cooks choice. Only cost $5-7

Love mine for making beer can chicken in the oven.

I had the outside metal one where you put the beer can in the middle but it was a pain to try and get the chicken off the thing. This ceramic one it is a breeze.... You just fill the pocket with liquid of choice and put it in a 9x13 pan with a little water in the pan and

love it...

gail
pink_fins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
pintamino
Mouseketeer

"It Starts With Food"

http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/

Changed my life. Multiple copies going out for Christmas this year, especially to those I know eat a crappy Standard American diet or struggle with diet-solvable health issues.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

The ceramic baking diish w/lid that Pampered Chef makes. I love that thing! Its wonderful in the oven but just as good inthe microwave. Bought one for myself and then my mother.

kayrosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
DawnM
Dawn

While that looks like a good book, I would be very hesitant to send it to people who have no intention of changing their eating habits and those who might be offended that my gift is telling them how to live their lives.

Part of me would love to send out books on how to manage finances as I have a lot of friends who simply cannot live without some form of CC debt, but unless they express interest, I don't think it is my duty to fix them.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintamino View Post
"It Starts With Food"

Changed my life. Multiple copies going out for Christmas this year, especially to those I know eat a crappy Standard American diet or struggle with diet-solvable health issues.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
"It Starts With Food"

After I picked myself up off the ground laughing, I'd be offended. I would never give a present to someone that critiqued their life or somehow made them feel bad or embarrassed.

Now if they were someone into nutrition or practiced an alternative diet that would be a fine gift, but not to anyone else.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
After I picked myself up off the ground laughing, I'd be offended. I would never give a present to someone that critiqued their life or somehow made them feel bad or embarrassed.

Now if they were someone into nutrition or practiced an alternative diet that would be a fine gift, but not to anyone else.
Just think how easy it would make gift giving though. We could just think of people's faults and try to find ways to fix them. There are books on everything! "10 steps to a clearer complexion," "Better parenting for naughty children," "Grammar for idiots," etc. Much easier than trying to think of something they might prefer.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
holden
DIS Veteran

Ebags packing cubes! THey are wonderful!

For our last trip to WDW, DH poo pooed the packing cubes I bought for all of us...until he saw how much more he could fit in his luggage! He was shocked. He brought a smaller bag than usual and fit all of his clothes for a week. I think it was a carryon - a large one (the max) but a whole weeks' worth of clothes in a carryon isn't bad. The key is to roll the clothes and then put them in the cubes. The nice thing is that when you are packing or taking out the cubes, you can easily move your clothes from bag to bag/bag to drawer.

For example, we were trying to bring as few bags as possible, so we kept rearranging the cubes in bags until we fit all of our stuff into 3 small bags. Then when we got to the hotel, we took our cubes out and put them in the drawers. Want socks? Look in the cube with your socks, underwear, etc. Want shorts? Look in the cube with the shorts and shirts. No loose clothes in the drawers.

Traveling will never be the same again! Long live the packing cube!
DD - 7
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
Just think how easy it would make gift giving though. We could just think of people's faults and try to find ways to fix them. There are books on everything! "10 steps to a clearer complexion," "Better parenting for naughty children," "Grammar for idiots," etc. Much easier than trying to think of something they might prefer.
OMG I nearly spit Coke Zero all over my keyboard!!!!!!!! Hilarious!

disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintamino
"It Starts With Food"

I love Whole 9! .
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
"It Starts With Food"

I am very interested in this - for me

Currently I am eating Paleo & Low Carb. Paleo because it is a decision I made for myself a couple of years ago & Low Carb - for weight loss (EXCELLENT for that - so "easy")

My question, does this book follow or mesh well with both of these eating styles? I have purchased books before & been very disappointed as they liberally include artificial sweeteners (I choose not to use ANY type), or insist that I must eat fruit (then I don't lose weight ). One had a mandatory white potato every day, etc., etc., etc.

Just wondering if this book would benefit me.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

i bought 2 sherpa fleece throws from LTD commodities a couple of months ago, one for DD15 and one for me. we got them Christmas day, and they're AWESOME! warmest blankets ever! i'd post the link, because they were only $12.95 each, but it seems LTD isn't selling them anymore.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #13
decaff38
1/2 in the World - 1/9/05!!

I got a Corkcicle and Whiskey Rocks for our friends. I bought them both off of Amazon.

Life is a daring adventure or nothing!!!!

/05 Bonnet Creek Resort WDW
Bsoup
decaff38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
pintamino
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=DVC Daisy;46999779]I am very interested in this - for me

Currently I am eating Paleo & Low Carb. Paleo because it is a decision I made for myself a couple of years ago & Low Carb - for weight loss (EXCELLENT for that - so "easy")

My question, does this book follow or mesh well with both of these eating styles? I have purchased books before & been very disappointed as they liberally include artificial sweeteners (I choose not to use ANY type), or insist that I must eat fruit (then I don't lose weight ). One had a mandatory white potato every day, etc., etc., etc.

Just wondering if this book would benefit me. [/QUOTE

Wow, there are really some crap paleo books out there! The Whole30 is about eating really good and cleaning out your diet - NO added sugar, even "natural" ones like honey and definitely no artificial sweetener! You're allowed to use a little 100% fruit juice as an ingredient if you want to, but I didn't for mine. They recommend avoiding white potatoes and judicious use of fruit based on your sugar habits - and stress that you can get all the same nutrients from veggies as you can from fruit. The focus is on eating really, healthy food in the form of meat/fish, veggies, and healthy fats, and they also go in to interesting detail on why other foods are cut out. You are allowed to eat carbs on the form of squash, sweet potato, etc which I pretty much only do with my post workout meal ( I train intensively with Crossfit) but are not mandatory.

I had to cut out fruit to keep losing weight and get my blood sugar under control - my family was drilling me about how fruit is "natural" and okay over the holiday. Not for me! Sugar is sugar is sugar to my body. I hope this helps - I would seriously recommend the book for anybody looking to educate themselves on a clean paleo diet
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I love love love my Hatley pyjamas so I got a pair for my mom. Ridiculously expensive for pyjamas IMO but they hold up well and are so comfortable they were worth the splurge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: