Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
disney's daughter
DIS Veteran

Question Question for Insulin Dependant Diabetics at Disney

I am now on the sliding scale for my insulin dosages and must test before each meal before giving myself a shot. Where do I go to test? i would appreciate any suggestions.
disney's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
JUJU814
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney's daughter View Post
I am now on the sliding scale for my insulin dosages and must test before each meal before giving myself a shot. Where do I go to test? i would appreciate any suggestions.
Personally, I'd just go to the restroom. If I was at a quick service place, just try to find someplace out of the way, away from the table.

If you're in a mob scene and at a quick service place, you should be able to just discreetly test on your lap under the table. No one would ever know. It just takes a few seconds.

Just don't pull out your equipment on the dining table in a nice restaurant.
JUJU814 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
disney david
DIS Veteran

You could go to first aid at any of the parks and they could give you a private room. So you could test their as many time you need through out the day.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Piper
DIS Veteran

I just test very discretely at the table (with my hands in my lap so people don't see what I am doing.) Most of the time people don't even know I've tested. I've even had my sister ask if I didn't need to test after I already had!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
JUJU814
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
You could go to first aid at any of the parks and they could give you a private room. So you could test their as many time you need through out the day.
That is another good option, but if you're trying to enjoy touring the parks it's a little impractical to have to keep running back there. I just keep my glucometer in my purse. It's so small and you can use it discreetly anywhere. Why spend so much time going back to First aid every few hours if you can really test anywhere? It literally takes less than a minute to test.

I think back to the days when the machines were these big clunky things. They sure have come a long way!
JUJU814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJU814

That is another good option, but if you're trying to enjoy touring the parks it's a little impractical to have to keep running back there. I just keep my glucometer in my purse. It's so small and you can use it discreetly anywhere. Why spend so much time going back to First aid every few hours if you can really test anywhere? It literally takes less than a minute to test.

I think back to the days when the machines were these big clunky things. They sure have come a long way!
I know just trying to give an option for a clean and private place to do it. As other said works good to and may he going to the first aid not practical because as you said you might be in the other side of the park.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
kxs401
Mouseketeer

Echoing what everyone else has said, I just test in the restroom or quickly and discreetly at the table.
1/07: All-Star Music.1/08: Beach Club Villas.4/08: Off-site.1/09: The Grand Californian (Disneyland Resort).3/09: Hotel Cheyenne (Disneyland Paris).5/09: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village.12/09: Coronado Springs.1/11: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village.1/12: Disney Dream.5/12: Beach Club Villas for DBFF's first Disney experience.
kxs401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney's daughter View Post
Just test discretely at your table. I have been doing it for years. Same for my shots.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Chickenlady
Mouseketeer

Anywhere at anytime....except the restroom...yuck! No one even notices.
Chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

I am another who will test anywhere, any time. For pre meal readings, I test at the table. If I am checking for a low, I'll test wherever I happen to be. I never test in the restroom. I can't think of anyplace that sounds more disgusting to poke a hole in my skin! Its probably fine but for some reason it just creeps me out. I got a little germophobic doing chemo!
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenlady View Post
Anywhere at anytime....except the restroom...yuck! No one even notices.
Completely agree. Bathrooms are nasty and I would never test of inject in one. If it creeps someone out that I am testing just look away.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
Piper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
Completely agree. Bathrooms are nasty and I would never test of inject in one. If it creeps someone out that I am testing just look away.

I agree completely!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

I have Type 2 and I don't use insulin, but I test wherever I happen to be. I schedule sitdown meals a couple of times during the day so I will definitely test at the table.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
Debbie Jean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
I do go to the restroom first to wash my hands but as others have said, I test at the table.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

In the parks, I test anywhere there's a place to set my meter down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: