Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
JanetRose
Do I need to know why Captain Sparrow's compass only pointed one way?

Disciplining a child who tells lies

Heard about someone who disciplines his child (about 10 years old) who tells a lot of lies by not letting him talk for 20 days....the boy is also home schooled.

Don't want to start any fights but wanted to find out if that is reasonable...I think it's extreme.

Last edited by JanetRose; 12-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.
JanetRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
abdmom
DIS Veteran

It's emotional abuse, IMO. I'd be calling CPS.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post
Yep, matter of fact, if you want to PM me with the details, I'll call them right now. Disgusting.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
WeCantWait
DIS Veteran

This is abuse and should be reported.

The poor kid is probably telling lies to avoid getting in trouble. If this is the punishment for lies, I cannot even imagine what other punishments are being handed out in that home.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Disfan1
See, I'm already getting ahead of myself!
I'm a Splenda smuggler ;-)
Loves living in onederland!

There are better and more effective ways to punish a lying kid. When my son went through a lying phase, I decided to show him how aggravating liars are. When he asked me once what what we were having for dinner, I said "Pizza!" (his favorite). When dinnertime came, I served him a big plate of liver & onions with broccoli (his LEAST favorite - and mine! Blech!). When he said "You told me we were having pizza!" I shrugged and said "I lied. Now eat up!" I had to serve two more "lie dinners" but eventually he saw how frustrating it is to deal with a person who lies. The only thing the kid OP referred to is going to learn is that if he lies, he doesn't have to talk to anybody. If he's shy, he may not want to talk anyway.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetRose View Post
Heard about someone who disciplines his child (about 10 years old) who tells a lot of lies by not letting him talk for 20 days....the boy is also home schooled.

Don't want to start any fights but wanted to find out if that is reasonable...I think it's extreme.
I agree. I think dad needs to go to parenting classes to learn another method of disciplining his son. I think not letting the child speak borders on abuse. I would wonder what else goes on in the house with that child and any other children in the home.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

First of all make sure you have your facts straight. If you're going on hearsay, then I would do some checking. But if what you heard is truth, then I would go to the authorities. That is absolutely emotional abuse and pathetic parenting.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

That's one of the strangest things I've ever heard. Some kids are "homeschooled" because the parents don't want people knowing what bizarre stuff they do to their children. I think this needs further investigation.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Not sure why the child is lying, which clearly is not a good pattern...but then the punishment is so awful, I do not understand that either.

Poor parenting at best. Hope this is not accurate....
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom
Totally agree!!!! What the heck is wrong with that man??

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
diznee25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetRose View Post

So sad. This could teach the child to become a better liar, instead of coming forward with the truth...in future instances. Why would you ever want to come forward with the truth if you're going to get that type of punishment?

Agree with others: this is emotional abuse. I can't imagine with other forms of punishments this father gives for other infractions....ugh, I don't want to think about it!

diznee25
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

This makes no sense, how do you not let a child talk at all for 20 days??!!! I can see a parent saying this is frustration (much like you're grounded for 6 months!) but I can't see that they could ever actually follow through on it
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

That's emotionally abusive.

I would also wonder what else that parent is doing to the child in the name of so-called discipline. I
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #14
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
This makes no sense, how do you not let a child talk at all for 20 days??!!! I can see a parent saying this is frustration (much like you're grounded for 6 months!) but I can't see that they could ever actually follow through on it
Sounds exaggerated. If the kid can't talk for 20 days when does he ever have the chance to lie. Besides that when you play the be quiet for 5 minutes game no kid can make it over 60 seconds. lol

I can only imagine what CPS is going to think if someone calls and says "I am calling in about a child that is abused because his father punishes him by not allowing him to talk for 20 days each time he lies."
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

And what's the punishment if he talks during the 20 days? You should definitely look into it and if it's true and there are even other more bizarre punishments, you should report it.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: