Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Nolcrest
DIS Veteran

What's a Teddy Bear to you?

Teddy Bear Week in pre-school this week. Today was Teddy Bear Day and I asked the class to bring in their teddy bears for teddy bear activities. (Notes sent home plus posted on our parent board w/a picture of a teddy bear.)

I was rather surprised as to the amount of children who brought in a stuffed character but definately not a bear.

Is a Teddy Bear a bear to you? I guess I assumed every child had a "teddy bear" - maybe not. It really got me thinking.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolcrest View Post
Teddy Bear Week in pre-school this week. Today was Teddy Bear Day and I asked the class to bring in their teddy bears for teddy bear activities. (Notes sent home plus posted on our parent board w/a picture of a teddy bear.)

I was rather surprised as to the amount of children who brought in a stuffed character but definately not a bear.

Is a Teddy Bear a bear to you? I guess I assumed every child had a "teddy bear" - maybe not. It really got me thinking.
As a parent, I would assume the day as "stuffed animal" day even though you specified 'Teddy Bear'. I had a teddy bear growing up. My oldest daughter did, the two younger ones no.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
ilovepcot
Caused the first ever Tag Fairy thread edit for being naughty
Should be publicly Dole Whipped
Makes a scrumptious pot roast
Don't stick it out if you don't want to lose it

Quote:

Well, yeah. But I can see that maybe not many children have them now. I don't suppose they're as popular as when I was little...so many more things to select from now.
ilovepcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran

I would not assume that every child has a teddy bear. I don't think that is as popular as it used to be... there are so many character stuffed things kids would rather have these days!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

My kids never had a "bear" as their teddy bear. ODS had a stuffed Simba, and then a stuffed dog named Andy. YDS had a stuffed dog...named Dogga. And then he had Donald Puppy. And now he has Perry. Which is what you (the teacher) would have gotten on Teddy Bear day
Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssmith06 View Post
I would not assume that every child has a teddy bear. I don't think that is as popular as it used to be... there are so many character stuffed things kids would rather have these days!
I agree with this.

When my youngest was in 1st grade we had a teddy bear clinic - each child brought in their "teddy bear" many were just stuffed animals.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

I would think it was "favorite stuffed animal week". DD had a Raggedy Ann that went everywhere with her. She eventually got a bear but she was older. Even Build A Bear sells more other animals than Teddy bears. DD kept both her bear and poodle from there, and she's now 20.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Many kids may have an actual bear someplace but that's not 'their teddy.'

To me, your teddy bear is your beloved stuffy, be it giraffe, mouse, whatever. I mean yes, originally bears and Roosevelt and there are certainly plenty of bears but there's no rhyme or reason to what one a child bonds with.

A kid might have a crib and later bed with five beautiful, soft, cuddly actual bears and cling to the giraffe wearing the scratchy coat someone won at a fair. If you said bring your teddy, that's what they'd likely bring.

If you said bring A teddy bear, I think you'd be more likely to get actual bears maybe?
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

My kids both had teddy bears, but slept cuddled with a Goofy (DS) and Piglet (DD) They would take those to school on teddy bear day, as that was what they used and loved the most.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Neither of my older two kids had much love for a particular bear, but DS26 has a very old stuffed dog named Max(the dog in Little Mermaid) and DD19 still sleeps with her large stuffed camel, "Donkey". Crazy kid. She named that thing and was insistent that the one-humped wonder was definitely a donkey. Ah well, what are ya gonna do?

Christian, on the other hand, LOVES his big teddy bears. He has two, a big giant cream colored(well, used to be cream colored, before he loved it to death) and a large brown bear. Both bears have permanently stiffened foreheads from all the kisses he gives them. I expect them to turn real any day...
Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

My kids never had teddy bears until they were school agers, and went to Build a Bear. They had a boatload of other stuffed animals though!!
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

My kids never had bears, my dd had a monkey (she still has him on her bed sshhh) and my middle ds had a dog. My youngest never was attached to an animal, just his blanket.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

I just checked my son's room the only Bear he has is Special agent Oso. He has Mickey, Phillie Phanatic, dog pillow pet and dream light, a cat pillow pet, and a dog from build a bear.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Not sure DD ever had a teddy bear until August--when she was leaving for college, lol. She went to Built a Bear and built one.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
Breezy_Carol
Who needs doors when you can use windows
Bugged by ticks
I had a dog that ate wood screws once

I would expect a Teddy Bear to look like this.

That said, my DD had a stuffed dog and DS had a stuffed panda bear. No "Teddy" bears in our house.

Breezy_Carol is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: